Which OS is better to run on ROCK64?
Its already several days of testing ROCK64 and I'm still getting so much disappointing. I've installed Android 7.1 - could not get neither bluetooth, nor wifi USB dongles working. Installed Linux UBUNTU, managed to get bluetooth and one of the Wifi dongles working, but perfomance of whole system is on level of pentium 1 1980year of manufactury -  even can not play youtube video at 1080P smooth.
What is your experience with this SBC? What is the best distributive/OS to run on this board kindly presented through pine installer?

P.S. I bought this board in maximum options (4GB RAM) to build CarPC, however my feelings at the moment - I wasted another 100USD
(02-26-2018, 08:09 AM)elik745i Wrote: Its already several days of testing ROCK64 and I'm still getting so much disappointing. I've installed Android 7.1 - could not get neither bluetooth, nor wifi USB dongles working. Installed Linux UBUNTU, managed to get bluetooth and one of the Wifi dongles working, but perfomance of whole system is on level of pentium 1 1980year of manufactury -  even can not play youtube video at 1080P smooth.
What is your experience with this SBC? What is the best distributive/OS to run on this board kindly presented through pine installer?

P.S. I bought this board in maximum options (4GB RAM) to build CarPC, however my feelings at the moment - I wasted another 100USD

I ran Community Debian Stretch Mate 0.5.15 found in the Pine64 installer. It ran my usb3 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter with no issue. I'm now loading up the Minimal image to see how it works. 

I did try Android 7.1 with the 1Gb Ram and was able to watch YouTube just fine. It also ran the media center with no issues at all. I'd consider using it maybe for such things. I had issues loading up Chrome to search the internet. However, I didn't have issue with Firefox in Debian. So, I'm not sure what's going on there. 

I never planned on running a gui with it . Fully planned to use it with terminal or SSH.
I also use mine remotelly as a multi media server, soon if i can manage to get my usb wifi adapter working on the raybuntu libreelec build i will move the whole server to it (everything is dockerized and with the container/images/config files on an external hdd so its a relativelly easy task) but atm im not using any ui and its working perfectly fine...

And about the browser needs i can suggest you try these and these tweaks, i use em on my rpis and work fantastic but imo it should work perfectly on any sbc...
how to check configuration file for rock64 like in raspbian, to see maybe gpu memory need to be increased?
afaik that file is very specific to raspbian as it uses some kind of blob to boot and the config file is part of the blob, why do you need to increase gpu memory or exactly what are you trying to solve/do?
I have issues with perfomance, can't play even fullhd video files, browsers can't display smooth youtube videos.... I have raspberry pi 3 and despite the fact that raspbian's specs are way less than this crappy rock64, it performs way better...
I need desktop solution, or at least android system. Currently non of which can work properly on this board.

Sorry I'm bit upset...
(03-15-2018, 01:11 PM)elik745i Wrote: I have issues with perfomance, can't play even fullhd video files, browsers can't display smooth youtube videos.... I have raspberry pi 3 and despite the fact that raspbian's specs are way less than this crappy rock64, it performs way better...
I need desktop solution, or at least android system. Currently non of which can work properly on this board.

Sorry I'm bit upset...

If you want a good (as far as the SOC and state of development permits) Linux desktop experience then follow follow the linked tutorial. 
What is your issue with Android? I have a ATV build running since what seems to be forever and it blows everything/anything that RPI has to offer in terms of media consumption...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2018, 01:23 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:11 PM)elik745i Wrote: I have issues with perfomance, can't play even fullhd video files, browsers can't display smooth youtube videos.... I have raspberry pi 3 and despite the fact that raspbian's specs are way less than this crappy rock64, it performs way better...

Sorry I'm bit upset...

If you want a good (as far as the SOC and state of development permits) Linux desktop experience then follow follow the linked tutorial. 
What is your issue with Android? I have a ATV build running since what seems to be forever and it blows everything/anything that RPI has to offer in terms of media consumption...

issue with android is: I have WIFI and Bluetooth USB dongles and non of them operational in Android, however worked on Linux straight away.

wifi is rtl8192cu and I've tried also rtl8192eu, non of the work in android, most probably lack of drivers... same with bluetooth, I do not know the chipset, but it's 4.1bluetooth and it works in linux too, but not in android.

thanks for tutorial with desktop solution, currently I'm about to install the same and test it!
(03-15-2018, 03:03 PM)elik745i Wrote:

Sorry I'm bit upset...

issue with android is: I have WIFI and Bluetooth USB dongles and non of them operational in Android, however worked on Linux straight away.

wifi is rtl8192cu and I've tried also rtl8192eu, non of the work in android, most probably lack of drivers... same with bluetooth, I do not know the chipset, but it's 4.1bluetooth and it works in linux too, but not in android.

thanks for tutorial with desktop solution, currently I'm about to install the same and test it!

Also, if you want media playback, why not use LibreELEC ? All my BT and WiFi dongles work, there is docker so you can do a bunch of other things (even run a full debian) and a lot of native add-ons .... Not to mention that the latest alpha build is running really  well for me.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2018, 04:56 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 03:03 PM)elik745i Wrote:

Sorry I'm bit upset...

Also, if you want media playback, why not use LibreELEC ? All my BT and WiFi dongles work, there is docker so you can do a bunch of other things (even run a full debian) and a lot of native add-ons .... Not to mention that the latest alpha build is running really  well for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread, ive seen you also have a rtl8812au and i see you mentioning here that it works on the libreelec build but i was unable to make it work on my rock64, what libreelec version did you try? can it be a device id problem? mine is an tp-link t4uhp (2357:010f)...if its a device id problem you know any solution? (my linux knowledge is somehow limited)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 141 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,347 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 331 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 605 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 603 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 8,341 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 190,202 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 586 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 644 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 33,258 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7