Plex server
(06-26-2016, 01:52 PM)melao Wrote: I have a suggestion for the Plex Server on Pine64:

In my case I installed an external USB HDD to put the video files.
I have plenty of files, so when Plex downloads the Artwork for all of the files, the Plex library starts to eat up a lot of storage.
To solve this I made a symbolic link of the Library directory to the USB harddisk, so that the artwork files are stored in the HDD and not on the SD Card.

I think it save the data on the device is installed, so if you install plex ont he other HDD, it will save there.
Heart PINE64: StackExchange Community => PINE64 Commmunity Proposal.

Proposal Status Link to Forum=> PINE64 Status Forum
Remenber to Upvote Proposed questions. And give a Follow.
(06-26-2016, 01:52 PM)melao Wrote: I have a suggestion for the Plex Server on Pine64:

In my case I installed an external USB HDD to put the video files.
I have plenty of files, so when Plex downloads the Artwork for all of the files, the Plex library starts to eat up a lot of storage.
To solve this I made a symbolic link of the Library directory to the USB harddisk, so that the artwork files are stored in the HDD and not on the SD Card.

Excellent idea, thanks.
(05-09-2016, 02:19 PM)jpecora93 Wrote: I was able to install Plex without a problem by following what tkaiser said to do step by step. If you are not going to follow the directions I really do not find it fair to ask him for help.  The image he points to for Debian works great. I installed it and actually did some stress testing and found I could stream 5 1080P videos to 5 different devices. 2 of them were trans coding. (Audio only)

Thanks tkaiser

I got Plex server running (thanks to tkaiser) with my media stored on a Synology NAS.  No matter what client I use, the video will not play, just a circle that goes around and around.

Any ideas??

thanks
Wanting to spin-down my external USB HDD on my Pine64 with PMS I found these commands for installing hd-idle from http://hd-idle.sourceforge.net/ :
  • cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@hd-idle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hd-idle login
    • Just hit Return when it asks for a password
  • cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@hd-idle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hd-idle co -P hd-idle
(after first doing apt-get install cvs) and
  • Run "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot"
  • Run "dpkg -i ../hd-idle_*.deb" to install the package
but my Debian OS does not include dpkg-buildpackage in the repository.

Anyone know if other dpkg tools can do this? Other options?
(07-09-2016, 08:26 PM)robb01 Wrote: Wanting to spin-down my external USB HDD on my Pine64 with PMS I found these commands for installing hd-idle from http://hd-idle.sourceforge.net/ :
  • cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@hd-idle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hd-idle login
    • Just hit Return when it asks for a password
  • cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@hd-idle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hd-idle co -P hd-idle
(after first doing apt-get install cvs) and
  • Run "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot"
  • Run "dpkg -i ../hd-idle_*.deb" to install the package
but my Debian OS does not include dpkg-buildpackage in the repository.

Anyone know if other dpkg tools can do this? Other options?

Replying to myself the answer is to first:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot debhelper -y
and then the

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
runs fine.

However also found that hdparm does in fact work on a USB external HDD on the Pine whereas a number of people have (more generally) reported that hdparm does not work for USB externals so hd-idle may not be necessary.  Another win for Pine64.
Trying to reinstall plex server and I get this message. Anyone knows a better link??

I run this command >>> apt-get install --no-install-recommends plexmediaserver-installer

And get this error >>> E: Unable to locate package plexmediaserver-installer
I have had Plex Media installed and working on the Pine64 for a few months now. Everything was working great but now it doesn't matter what video file I try to play it gives me the error about the server not being powerful enough to trans code. I'm having trouble believing the file needs to be trans-coded since we have already watched half of it! Also none of my media will stream now... Has anyone come across this problem? The only thing I can think of is possibly the last update may have messed things up or maybe a setting was accidentally changed. Is there a way to change everything back to default settings and revert back to previous version?

Any help would be appreciated!
I've had success installing Plex media Server on my 2GB board. I used instructions developed for the pi. What I have found is that it will play 1080p 30fps MP4's with very little effort and super low CPU usage. But it WILL NOT transcode video. It MIGHT transcode audio only. What an option I have found would be is to set up a script that checks a folder for files ending in .avi or even looks at the file properties and if necessary, will CONVERT beforehand rather than transcode the video. Using this method it take at least an hour to convert a full length movie. It will then have no issues playing the file and again, it uses very low cpu usage to play a file that does not require transcoding.
To be honest, If you're looking to build a media server, don't look at any SBC. It's just too much to ask from such an underpowered device and a few years old laptop which will have the power to transcode can be purchased for under $100 online.

(09-01-2016, 08:38 AM)bigatl22 Wrote: ...the last update may have messed things up...
In my experience, never update unless something isn't working and the update promises to fix the issue. In other words. If it's working, keep using it. Another word of wisdom is to update selectively. If you have to update things, only update parts that NEED to be updated and leave working stuff alone. Sorry that happened to you. I vaguely remember reading something about this but i think it was on the Pi forums.
I have a few select people I share my Plex with and the kids do not stop the movie they just pause it. Is there a way to have the Plex service reboot every night on a schedule?

Thanks for the help in advance
Jim
Hi,

Where can I find the latest guide for using my Pine64 original 2gb board as a Plex server?

Which of the following is better? Running my Pine64 with Android OS and download the apk for the Plex server or install it on Linux?

Please help me out and point me to the most recent guide...

Best,
Moshe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mastodon instance \ Nextcloud Server fearg 1 4,526 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Turn your Pine64 into a music server with mpd JulianM 2 10,965 03-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Plex server arghne 48 52,354 03-22-2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine64 as NAS/Media Server VandaL.pr! 1 6,127 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Luke
  3d printer server oldsmarracin 3 5,483 09-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Last Post: JAYJAYN
  Cannot install Plex Media Server under Arch Linux malevolent 2 5,501 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: ChrisLane
  Building Stratum One NTP Server lospinos 5 8,685 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Starbound Server. Is the Pine64 capable? iamfallen 1 3,895 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Brick Minecraft Server chrislink14 16 28,811 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: jeremycobert
  Media server montero65 3 6,006 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: queonda