PineTab2 screen won't turn back on until reboot
This is a different problem than the one that's been reported where the screen just won't turn on at all.

It's also different from suspend/hibernate not working, because the system is still running and reachable via SSH.

The screen is turning off after a period of inactivity (even though I've set power management not to turn off the screen) and won't turn back on until I reboot the tablet. The keys light up when I press them. The USB network adapter I have shows activity. I can even SSH in from another computer.

But the screen *does* come back on after reboot, whether I use the command line through an SSH session, or whether I just hold the power button down until it shuts off, then power it on again.

I'm currently using LxQt on the factory-shipped danctnix updated to the latest with pacman.

Has anyone else seen this? Any solution, or a tip for finding what else might be powering off the screen if my desktop session isn't doing it?
I haven't use LxQT for a while, but I assume it runs X and not Wayland, correct? If so, try to SSH into your device and run
$ xset -q

What do you get?
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Yeah, LXQT is running under X.  I had to script a loop to repeatedly save that output to a log, since the remote SSH session couldn't talk to the main X session, but what I found is:

1. DPMS is enabled, with the standby, suspend and off timeouts at 600 -- which it shouldn't be, because LXQt is set to not standby or suspend, but....
  2. There is a bug in LXQT's power management where it doesn't always update DPMS's settings.
  3. DPMS sees the monitor as off.

I also verified that the timeouts, lock screen etc. do still work correctly under Wayland on my device, so that's good to know!

That gives me a couple of approaches (workarounds, or manually installing the newer version, etc.) to prevent the problem of it turning off when I don't want it to. (I really do not miss all that messing with X configuration back in the old days, but hey, you gotta do what works.)

Then I need to figure out how to get it to turn back on. If LxQt's own power management works right (except for the dpms issue), then problem solved. It not, I figure I'll experiment with blank, standby, and suspend to see which ones (if any) the display recovers from.

--------------------
For the record: Full output of xset -q after the display turns off:

Code:
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  XKB indicators:
    00: Caps Lock:  off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Compose:    off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:      off
    06: Suspend:    off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
    09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
    12: Group 2:    off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
  auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  33
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffefffedffff
                        9fffffffffffffff
                        fff7ffffffffffff
  bell percent:  0    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
  built-ins
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is Off
(08-21-2023, 03:23 PM)KelsonV Wrote: The screen is turning off after a period of inactivity (even though I've set power management not to turn off the screen) and won't turn back on until I reboot the tablet. The keys light up when I press them. The USB network adapter I have shows activity. I can even SSH in from another computer.

But the screen *does* come back on after reboot, whether I use the command line through an SSH session, or whether I just hold the power button down until it shuts off, then power it on again.

I'm currently using LxQt on the factory-shipped danctnix updated to the latest with pacman.

Has anyone else seen this? Any solution, or a tip for finding what else might be powering off the screen if my desktop session isn't doing it?

I'm using a self-assembled Debian (Trixie) system with self-compiled kernel running KDE, and I've run into this problem too.
AFAICT it's all running Wayland, perhaps except SDDM.

I haven't found a solution yet, but I'm very much interested in one.
Haven't verified if it's also present in the Danctnix system though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab2 not starting Corconegre 6 1,600 03-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: zogkarndon
  Pinetab2 Audio Hiss/Static from speakers scottgr 2 399 03-16-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: scottgr
  pinetab2 hardware is not very good lmartin 11 2,327 01-13-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
Information nvme ssd and open pinetab2 snock 0 210 01-12-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: snock
  Pinetab2 screen removal Corconegre 5 1,342 01-10-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: stozi
  PineTab2, Ubuntu Touch and WiFI JMoore 2 601 01-07-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: JMoore
  Using the Pinetab2's PCIe slot FortunateFowl 0 329 12-22-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Exclamation Pinetab2 Keyboard Issues lockedpotato 0 519 10-14-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: lockedpotato
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 536 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  pinetab2 booting when adapter connected Ome Ko 16 2,862 09-15-2023, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Ome Ko