Pinetab2 screen removal
Hi,
has anyone successfully opened the pinetab2 to remove the screen?

I did receive some videos/pictures from support but i can't even slide my nails on the separation, tried with a guitar pick and even a plastic piece slimmer than that.
How did you do this?
Everything i have seen shows the screen already out of the case and then they slide something to finish opening it, but i'm not sure how to take it out in the first place...

If anyone has done this before i would appreciate any advice, would like to avoid breaking the screen...

Thanks
(08-29-2023, 05:16 AM)Corconegre Wrote: Hi,
has anyone successfully opened the pinetab2 to remove the screen?

I did receive some videos/pictures from support but i can't even slide my nails on the separation, tried with a guitar pick and even a plastic piece slimmer than that.
How did you do this?
Everything i have seen shows the screen already out of the case and then they slide something to finish opening it, but i'm not sure how to take it out in the first place...

If anyone has done this before i would appreciate any advice, would like to avoid breaking the screen...

Thanks

Hi Corconegre,

Haven't had a chance to take apart the Pinetab2 (yet - plan to at some point).

I would urge being very, very careful if attempting, until hearing from someone who has done this (multiple people broke their screens attempting version 1).

The best I can do for now is share where I documented Pinetab version 1 disassembly, screen removal, with pictures: https://politictech.wordpress.com/2022/0...s-pinetab/ <- NOT a guide to follow for removing pinetab2 screen

The warning: it's an entirely different build in many ways, but possible something said there might help along the way if doing screen replacement (like tips for undoing battery glue, avoiding central pressure on any part of screen).

NOT a guide for Pinetab2.

I'll be happy to respond again if I get a chance to remove screen on pinetab2.

I would personally suggest waiting for someone has reported success. Hate to hear anything happen to your screen.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Hi RTP, thanks for your message, i already saw your video searching on the forum, but as you say the cover is different so i don't think it applies (most likely the wiring is also routed diffferently).

I opened a support ticket and they sent me some pictures and videos but this aprt is missing, they were also kind to refer me to a vendor who can do taht for me if i'm not confortable doing it so i think i'll go that way.
so i have been able to successfully disassemble/reassemble my pt2 after my mainboard got fried in a storm.

separating the screen from the back plate can be a bit daunting, especially since there are moments when the screen could bend/break when prying.

to outline, as best i can, what i found to make removing the screen easiest is to have 2-4 of these kind of pry tools: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb26e538d13df...ar-Pry.jpg i recommend having several b/c one side can chew one of these up pretty bad. since i only had 2, i used a knife to clean up the pry edges between each side.

what i did was start with the "top side" where the buttons and ports are. once i was able to get it into the space between the screen and bezel, i was able to move the pry tool from corner to corner and release the tabs. from there i moved in a rotation, going to the bottom edge of the display and separating that side, then the next short side, and finally the last long side.

be patient and take your time, but you can have it done within 10-15m.
(09-01-2023, 08:03 AM)tophneal Wrote: so i have been able to successfully disassemble/reassemble my pt2 after my mainboard got fried in a storm.

separating the screen from the back plate can be a bit daunting, especially since there are moments when the screen could bend/break when prying.

to outline, as best i can, what i found to make removing the screen easiest is to have 2-4 of these kind of pry tools: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb26e538d13df...ar-Pry.jpg i recommend having several b/c one side can chew one of these up pretty bad. since i only had 2, i used a knife to clean up the pry edges between each side.

what i did was start with the "top side" where the buttons and ports are. once i was able to get it into the space between the screen and bezel, i was able to move the pry tool from corner to corner and release the tabs. from there i moved in a rotation, going to the bottom edge of the display and separating that side, then the next short side, and finally the last long side.

be patient and take your time, but you can have it done within 10-15m.

Thanks, starting with the top side is the easiest but you really need a pry tools for that (I only break 2 tabs).

Since moving the pry tools in the corner may be difficult, I opted to pry near the speaker for the side with the front camera (see the disassembly guide)
I've taken it apart with a couple guitar pick-type tools. snapped a lot of the plastic tabs that secure the back to the front, but no damage to the screen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab2 not starting Corconegre 6 1,603 03-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: zogkarndon
  Pinetab2 Audio Hiss/Static from speakers scottgr 2 403 03-16-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: scottgr
  pinetab2 hardware is not very good lmartin 11 2,331 01-13-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
Information nvme ssd and open pinetab2 snock 0 213 01-12-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: snock
  PineTab2, Ubuntu Touch and WiFI JMoore 2 604 01-07-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: JMoore
  Using the Pinetab2's PCIe slot FortunateFowl 0 332 12-22-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Exclamation Pinetab2 Keyboard Issues lockedpotato 0 521 10-14-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: lockedpotato
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 539 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  pinetab2 booting when adapter connected Ome Ko 16 2,864 09-15-2023, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Ome Ko
  SOLVED: New PineTab2 not booting properly. SECONDARY PROBLEM SOLVED: Not updating bacon_dude 6 1,726 09-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: bacon_dude