pinetab2 hardware is not very good
The pinetab2 hardware is not very good. I know the price is relatively low (without taxes/custom duty), but it's not even worth that money. This is not hardware for year 2023, I has a weak CPU and the touch of the display is the worst I have seen on a tablet. A basic benchmark puts this table way behind a Xiaomi M2, an entry level phone launched in  2018.
And it's not only in the benchmarks were you feel the slowness, I am sincerely disappointed.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion & we all have them. The hardware specifications are clearly listed on the website, as well as the wiki.

It’s not about the latest & greatest hardware, it’s about supported/soon to be supported hardware. With that said, do you know of a better functional Linux tablet from a reputable distributor?

I don’t follow benchmark reports, but real world usage & I can state for a fact that it is suitable for the work I do. Would you care to explain what applications or specific problems you are having with it and maybe we can help?

Mine’s doing fine with LibreOffice and security tools, plus I love the build quality; it hasn’t let me down yet and I also use my Pine64 devices (PP, PBP & PT2) as demo units during the year to show alternatives.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(08-16-2023, 11:02 AM)lmartin Wrote: The pinetab2 hardware is not very good. I know the price is relatively low (without taxes/custom duty), but it's not even worth that money. This is not hardware for year 2023, I has a weak CPU and the touch of the display is the worst I have seen on a tablet. A basic benchmark puts this table way behind a Xiaomi M2, an entry level phone launched in  2018.
And it's not only in the benchmarks were you feel the slowness, I am sincerely disappointed.

I have a 3 months old barely used Lenovo P11 Chromebook I'd like to swap for your Pinetab2. It has 4 Gb of Ram, a 128 Gb harddisk, an 11" screen, a french keyboard and I paid 378 euro for it...

How about that?

Shy
I tried a Chromebook and an Android tablet to get Linux running on a 10inch tablet, with little success, having broken a nice BQ Linux tablet (UBPorts). (Don't try charging your tablet from a cheap Chinese solar panel, but that's another story.) I then bought the Tab2.

I'm a user, not an expert, but this feels like a very nice tablet to me, with a good responsive screen and keyboard. The hardware seems well thought out. Its use is mainly mail and browsing with a little office work. Having to use a WiFi dongle is only a small irritation and it looks like resolution of the internal WiFi driver issue is close.

It has good battery life and runs Nextcloud nicely in the background. To me, it is basically a good simple Linux laptop in tablet form.

Thanks Pine64 for a nice well thought out tablet.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
I totally agree. I have a bit of a modprobe problem for my dongle as explained here, but I'm using USB tethering on my phone that is connected to the wifi network on the ferry I'm on right now, and that works fine too.

I tried for a day but I couldn't find a solution to get Android on the Lenovo P11 tablet replaced by a more userfriendly opensource OS. Might dive into that some other time because the hardware seems to be okay but currently it's just an extremely big phone with privacy-issues.
(09-16-2023, 12:04 AM)Ome Ko Wrote: I totally agree. I have a bit of a modprobe problem for my dongle as explained here, but I'm using USB tethering on my phone that is connected to the wifi network on the ferry I'm on right now, and that works fine too.

I tried for a day but I couldn't find a solution to get Android on the Lenovo P11 tablet replaced by a more userfriendly opensource OS. Might dive into that some other time because the hardware seems to be okay but currently it's just an extremely big phone with privacy-issues.

To me, it's the privacy issues that drive my choice. I don't want Google or MSoft on my devices and don't want to be locked into the Apple prison. This is one huge selling point for the PineTab 2. 

I don't know why BQ stopped making the Aquaris M10 HD, because UBTouch worked well on that, but it does leave the market open to Pine64, IMO.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
(08-16-2023, 11:02 AM)lmartin Wrote: The pinetab2 hardware is not very good. I know the price is relatively low (without taxes/custom duty), but it's not even worth that money. This is not hardware for year 2023, I has a weak CPU and the touch of the display is the worst I have seen on a tablet. A basic benchmark puts this table way behind a Xiaomi M2, an entry level phone launched in  2018.

I completely agree with you on this. I think this is a tinkering device for those who want to play with the concept of a linux tablet running on arm developed for the community. But you are correct that there are tablets for like 50$ that are better than this in the android space. However this is definitely not a device for someone who wants just a cheap android tablet.
Having previously owned several PinePhones, a BQ tablet and an original PineTab I must say the PT2 is the best yet. The community started strong for Pine then seemed to stray some but it has come back to the original mission. These are just one Linux hobbyist opinion so take it for what you will.
I mean, if you look at the original Pinebook and the disclaimer on the store page for this product, what did you expect? I love it. I'm pretty happy with the performance, I only naively hoped that community would have sorted out the wifi would by now, but it's coming soon, and the screen isn't great, but for my purpose, to do English proofreading with an A. Dux (Ferris Sweep / Kyria - based) keyboard, it's just great. Looks nice, KDE is working well for touchscreen, can't complain.
Really grateful to have the possibilty to buy a tablet that runs open software natively. Actually I waited a long time to buy the Pinetab1 while it was out of stock. Then this one suddenly appeared :-) Just enjoing it and crossing fingers for wifi-driver

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab2 not starting Corconegre 6 1,588 03-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: zogkarndon
  Pinetab2 Audio Hiss/Static from speakers scottgr 2 395 03-16-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: scottgr
Information nvme ssd and open pinetab2 snock 0 209 01-12-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: snock
  Pinetab2 screen removal Corconegre 5 1,334 01-10-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: stozi
  PineTab2, Ubuntu Touch and WiFI JMoore 2 595 01-07-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: JMoore
  Using the Pinetab2's PCIe slot FortunateFowl 0 327 12-22-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Exclamation Pinetab2 Keyboard Issues lockedpotato 0 514 10-14-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: lockedpotato
  pinetab2 booting when adapter connected Ome Ko 16 2,837 09-15-2023, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Ome Ko
  SOLVED: New PineTab2 not booting properly. SECONDARY PROBLEM SOLVED: Not updating bacon_dude 6 1,715 09-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: bacon_dude
  PineTab2 screen won't turn back on until reboot KelsonV 3 1,038 08-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: diederik