Pinebook Pro with RK3588?
There's little need to include a seperate HDMI port when the PBP includes a USBC port that is capable of outputting video (it did at one point, but it appears that the patches will require a lot of work to mainlined, however one can still compile or install megi's kernel to get this working.) it makes perfect sense to drop the individual HDMI port (like EVERY OTHER OEM is currently doing) for a port that is capable of providing video out and more.

please let's not nitpick at each other here over things none of us are in control over. it resolves nothing and moves my mouse closer to the "close thread" button.

edit: don't misuse the report button. a disagreement is not against the rules.
@tantamount We'll have to agree to disagree, because you haven't convinced me that it's worth having. I don't know who these "most people" are, everyone else bought the PBP the way it it.

Incidentally, as can be seen, most people here would've benefited from a dedicated RS232 port. Yet we survived with a compromised solution harder than simply plugging in an adaptor cable.

And, retrospectively, the most important change would've been an access hole for the eMMC disable switch, at least. And probably shipping without an operating system. The former probably would drive the price up past what people would pay (like an HDMI connector might) and the latter just isn't the way modern people want to receive a computer, sadly. I might be the only person who immediately during first power-up, wiped out Manjaru.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-28-2023, 12:54 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I might be the only person who immediately during first power-up, wiped out Manjaru.

i know for a fact you are not lol i did the same thing with my 2nd pbp, as soon as i got it.
(06-29-2023, 07:02 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 12:54 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I might be the only person who immediately during first power-up, wiped out Manjaru.

i know for a fact you are not lol i did the same thing with my 2nd pbp, as soon as i got it.

Big Grin I did it to both mine.  Both times it got me in a pickle (embarassingly).  On the first one (first batch to ship with Manjaru) I bodged the eMMC by not correctly flashing U-Boot to it, rendering it unbootable to anything except a micro-SD card with Chrome OS for some reason.  On the second one, I purposely left U-Boot intact to avoid what happened the first time.  That was a really bad move because it wouldn't allow booting to micro-SD, and with Manjaru wiped out before loading NetBSD, it was unbootable.

But that's how I got good at recovering dead PBPs, I guess.  Cool

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-28-2023, 11:36 AM)tophneal Wrote: it makes perfect sense to drop the individual HDMI port (like EVERY OTHER OEM is currently doing) for a port that is capable of providing video out and more.

That's not what I see when I shop for laptops. They all have HDMI except Apple.

Can you list those OEMs that you say are dropping the HDMI port? If "every other" is doing it, they should be easy for you to list.

What is the OEM that's making the Pinebook Pro?

Also, if the Pinebook Pro doesn't reliably support HDMI over USB-C then removing HDMI isn't a good idea.
(07-05-2023, 01:28 PM)tantamount Wrote: Also, if the Pinebook Pro doesn't reliably support HDMI over USB-C then removing HDMI isn't a good idea.

That's akin to saying that the Pinetab2 shouldn't have inbuilt WiFi, IMHO. Pine64 doesn't make the software and cant be blamed for what the software developers do or don't do.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(07-05-2023, 01:28 PM)tantamount Wrote: Can you list those OEMs that you say are dropping the HDMI port? If "every other" is doing it, they should be easy for you to list.

both dell and lenovo have already begun dropping hdmi ports in favor of usbc ports. i noticed this bc at work we typically would have laptops with hdmi ports, but about a year ago things started changing. i think we already have about 5 of those usbc-only lenovos and a dell one in deployment.

more to the point, an oem didn't produce the pinebook pro. pine64 is NOT a consumer electronics oem. they make the equipment, the community makes the software that runs with it. any gripes about any unreliability should not be slung at pine, when independent developer (groups) are the ones writing the drivers that make the hardware work.
(07-06-2023, 07:49 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(07-05-2023, 01:28 PM)tantamount Wrote: Can you list those OEMs that you say are dropping the HDMI port? If "every other" is doing it, they should be easy for you to list.

both dell and lenovo have already begun dropping hdmi ports in favor of usbc ports. i noticed this bc at work we typically would have laptops with hdmi ports, but about a year ago things started changing. i think we already have about 5 of those usbc-only lenovos and a dell one in deployment.

more to the point, an oem didn't produce the pinebook pro. pine64 is NOT a consumer electronics oem. they make the equipment, the community makes the software that runs with it. any gripes about any unreliability should not be slung at pine, when independent developer (groups) are the ones writing the drivers that make the hardware work.

You are describing a small minority of devices. I've been shopping for a Thinkpad and they all have HDMI ports except for a couple niche devices that are too small to accommodate one, like maybe the X1 Nano. The E series, T series, L series, P series, X13 series and X1 Carbon all have HDMI ports.

Who is the OEM that is making the Pinebook Pro?
We don't have a beating-the-dead-horse emoji here. Sad

If an HDMI port is such a deal-killer, and they're so easy to get, why not just buy a laptop with one?

Better yet, why not start a Kickstarter for a laptop with RK3588 and an HDMI port?  If Pine64 can do it, anybody can, providing there's a market.
(07-07-2023, 03:09 PM)tantamount Wrote:
(07-06-2023, 07:49 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Who is the OEM that is making the Pinebook Pro?

please read my full response. above is an excerpt to highlight the relevant part you seemed to have glossed over. NO OEM makes Pine's devices, Pine does.

if the lack of an hdmi port on an ultralight laptop is a deal breaker for you, that's ok. it's not for everyone. as you pointed out, you can find several laptops with full size HDMI ports.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pinebook Pro] Where to buy a new TFT and how to replace it? openbsd98324 0 474 09-30-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: openbsd98324
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,462 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  The power of the Star64 vs Pinebook Pro/RockPro64 Starfall 1 1,156 04-17-2023, 05:00 AM
Last Post: lkoini
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than normal to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,353 07-12-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Weatherburn
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than expected to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,490 04-16-2022, 07:17 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,375 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc
Star Very Lightly Used PineBook Pro ragnarlothbrok64 4 3,168 01-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sascha
  PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck compatibility DevonBirch 1 1,955 08-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Buy a Pinebook kaizmoto1489 3 3,772 07-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Pinebook Pro has become dead, no lights? JohnKarpenter 3 3,603 07-01-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas