Pinebook Pro with RK3588?
I noticed that the Orange Pi 5 is using the RK3588 and it is benchmarking nicely:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/1677199

Is there going to be a Pinebook Pro based on this faster chip?

The current RK3399 is only slightly faster than the Raspberry Pi's CPU.

Also, without HDMI output the laptop is less useful than a regular laptop.
You can't get HDMI video? I can't yet, I run NetBSD. But I thought you could adapt the USB-C to HDMI. I gotta say, i think requiring video output for a laptop of all things is a little silly.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-23-2023, 02:58 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I gotta say, i think requiring video output for a laptop of all things is a little silly.

That's like saying it's silly for cars to have four wheels. The vast majority of people want video output on a laptop. Not having it is a deal breaker.
More to me its like saying a car should have a kitchen. Sure, some might find it useful, but why not cook at home or go to a restaurant?

[ SRA accepts you ]
I dont think it is much to expect that HDMI out would eventually work given that pine sells a docking station with an HDMI port. Which actually used to work for a second monitor, i used exactly that for about 6 months when i got my PBP and docking station. It stopped working after an update and i continue to hope that this will work at some point.
If you buy the add on kitchen option, shouldn't you expect the oven will work?
The same issue applys to the Pinetab2 which i am using the docking station for ethernet, external monitor through HDMI does not work there either.
(06-24-2023, 06:09 PM)WEF Wrote: I dont think it is much to expect that HDMI out would eventually work given that pine sells a docking station with an HDMI port. Which actually used to work for a second monitor, i used exactly that for about 6 months when i got my PBP and docking station. It stopped working after an update and i continue to hope that this will work at some point.
If you buy the add on kitchen option, shouldn't you expect the oven will work?
The same issue applys to the Pinetab2 which i am using the docking station for ethernet, external monitor through HDMI does not work there either.

Sounds like you might need to compile your own kernel or modules to get it to work again.

Speaking more generally:

I think people want HDMI output on a laptop because laptop screens are small and can be hard to look at. External displays are better for the eyes and neck.

The RK3399 SoC chip which is inside the Pinebook Pro provides an HDMI output signal.
Here's the RK3399 data sheet which proves it: https://opensource.rock-chips.com/images...200323.pdf

They just didn't provide the port. The HDMI jack costs maybe $0.25.
But why buy a laptop only to use an external monitor? Wouldn't it be better to buy a RockPro64? You'll end up with a better keyboard and mouse; and better device placement. Better cooling, hence better performance, and better expandability.

Surely it costs more than 25¢ to put an HDMI socket on the PBP. But even if cost is no object, I'm sure the designers didn't expect most users would use an HDMI port. And having video output on the USB-C connector should work for the few people that need it. It's unfortunate that NetBSD doesn't have it yet and Linux doesn't have it anymore. But again, probably whomever removed support for it figured not many people were using it.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-27-2023, 09:28 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: But why buy a laptop only to use an external monitor?

Surely it costs more than 25¢ to put an HDMI socket on the PBP.  But even if cost is no object, I'm sure the designers  didn't expect most users would use an HDMI port.  And having video output on the USB-C connector should work for the few people that need it.  It's unfortunate that NetBSD doesn't have it yet and Linux doesn't have it anymore. But again, probably whomever removed support for it figured not many people were using it.

In North America, people prefer laptops so that they can move around with them when they need to, which is often. But at home, some people have external monitors to ease the eye/neck strain.

In the US, an overpriced HDMI jack is $1.72. But I expect in Huaqiangbei one could buy a bag of 50 for that price.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/deta...BK/4867012

So who then is designing the Pinebook Pro? Surely it isn't being outsourced to Compal.
But at home do people move their large monitors around with them when they need to, which is often?

I mean, if you can afford a laptop, and the PBP is good enough, you can afford an ARM SBC to tape to the back of the large monitor.

Is it too much to ask to buy a docking station? I have a pretty elaborate one for the only other laptop I've owned. In fact I have three docking stations for it. They have DVI connectors, but then, the laptop does have a VGA connector. I don't think I ever used either. I always used the inbuilt display when it was docked. I wonder what a USB-C to HDMI adaptor cable costs.

If you can add an HDMI port to the PBP for $17.20, surely you'd just do it. That's what I would do if I found it necessary. One of the nice things about these is the schematics are freely available.

I'd really be interested in the Pinebook ProII if only it had RCA jacks for audio and maybe DIN MIDI built in.

I carry a Schweitzer Taschenmeßer everywhere I go. I could chop an onion with it, every time I needed to, I guess.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-27-2023, 02:06 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: If you can add an HDMI port to the PBP for $17.20, surely you'd just do it. That's what I would do if I found it necessary. One of the nice things about these is the schematics are freely available.

No, I want it built-in, as do most people. You haven't offered a compelling argument as to why it shouldn't be.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pinebook Pro] Where to buy a new TFT and how to replace it? openbsd98324 0 474 09-30-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: openbsd98324
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,457 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  The power of the Star64 vs Pinebook Pro/RockPro64 Starfall 1 1,156 04-17-2023, 05:00 AM
Last Post: lkoini
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than normal to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,353 07-12-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Weatherburn
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than expected to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,489 04-16-2022, 07:17 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,374 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc
Star Very Lightly Used PineBook Pro ragnarlothbrok64 4 3,168 01-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sascha
  PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck compatibility DevonBirch 1 1,955 08-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Buy a Pinebook kaizmoto1489 3 3,772 07-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Pinebook Pro has become dead, no lights? JohnKarpenter 3 3,603 07-01-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas