Pinebook Pro with RK3588?
here is weird debate about hdmi port, i just wonder is displayport a better idea?
I'd say it's fine the way it is, that's why we have docks & I also like that idea about no default OS, maybe offer a SDcard with an os selection, net download of course for size limitations.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(07-10-2023, 10:40 AM)zetabeta Wrote: here is weird debate about hdmi port, i just wonder is displayport a better idea?

That's a good question.  I don't know the answer at all.  I don't think I have ever used HDMI.  But the PBP does have DisplayPort on the USB-C connector.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(07-10-2023, 07:36 AM)tophneal Wrote: please read my full response. above is an excerpt to highlight the relevant part you seemed to have glossed over. NO OEM makes Pine's devices, Pine does.

if the lack of an hdmi port on an ultralight laptop is a deal breaker for you, that's ok. it's not for everyone. as you pointed out, you can find several laptops with full size HDMI ports.

That is good to know. A lack of HDMI is not a complete deal breaker. I've obtained a dongle to convert USB-C to HDMI. It's just that looking at a small LCD screen all the time is not something everyone can do without eye strain. I would need the dongle to be supported. Maybe the discussion should be about what broke USB-C to HDMI support.

(07-10-2023, 01:02 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I don't know the answer at all.  I don't think I have ever used HDMI.  But the PBP does have DisplayPort on the USB-C connector.

HDMI is ubiquitous. Every monitor uses it. It's hard to imagine how anyone over the age of 15 could avoid HDMI.
@tantamount I own dozens of monitors and none of them has HDMI. Every one has RCA, BNC, VGA, or DVI. It's hard for me to imagine anyone peeing money away on new stuff that almost does what the old stuff does. Yeah, I just got off the air with a radio that is silicon free, too. I've almost forgotten what decade it was when I was 15. I do know George Bush was President. Read his lips, "no new taxes".

I do use the HDMI port on a raspberry pi. But that gets adapted to DVI for a TV. At least I think that's HDMI. Hard to recall; I use the TRRS connector for video out on all the ones I regularly use.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(07-10-2023, 04:29 PM)tantamount Wrote: Maybe the discussion should be about what broke USB-C to HDMI support.

i wholeheartedly agree! from what i understand following this topic in-and-out over the last year, megi got this feature working in their kernel (still does iirc) but the kernel modifications are done in a way they couldn't just be submitted for upstreaming. (again, iirc) other devs were working on cleaning up the patches for upstreaming, but it was just too much work to be doing all the time and the effort was abandoned.

however, if you don't mind compiling your kernel, you can still grab megi's kernel and run it on whichever distro to get hdmi over usbc back on the pbp.
(07-11-2023, 08:02 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(07-10-2023, 04:29 PM)tantamount Wrote: Maybe the discussion should be about what broke USB-C to HDMI support.

i wholeheartedly agree! from what i understand following this topic in-and-out over the last year, megi got this feature working in their kernel (still does iirc) but the kernel modifications are done in a way they couldn't just be submitted for upstreaming. (again, iirc) other devs were working on cleaning up the patches for upstreaming, but it was just too much work to be doing all the time and the effort was abandoned.

I've been following the Linux-on-Apple-Silicon efforts and they're having trouble as well. Their team lead says getting video of USB-C working "involves fixing and improving common Linux kernel subsystems (USB Type C) which are in their infancy and half-broken." Maybe @megi can comment?
See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AsahiLinux/comm...x_monitor/
The Pinebook PRO, a popular open-sourced ARM-powered laptop, is causing excitement as rumored upgrades using the highly desired RK3588 chipset surface. If these rumors are true, the PinebookPro could experience a significant speed boost due to the RK3588's advanced architecture and processing capabilities This upgrade holds the potential of improving the Pinebook PRO's multitasking capabilities, graphics rendering, and overall user experience. The Pinebook Pro with RK3588 could be a viable option for those searching for tech enthusiasts, developers, and those who are looking for a capable yet affordable.
(07-13-2023, 08:11 AM)kamini48 Wrote: The Pinebook PRO, a popular open-sourced ARM-powered laptop, is causing excitement as rumored upgrades using the highly desired RK3588 chipset surface.

I don't mean to be rude, but where have you seen these rumors? I haven't seen anything from Pine yet about an rk3588 upgrade board, only people asking for an rk3588 upgrade. those requests don't seem to be rumors.

that post almost reads like it was ripped from a clickbait site lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pinebook Pro] Where to buy a new TFT and how to replace it? openbsd98324 0 473 09-30-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: openbsd98324
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,452 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  The power of the Star64 vs Pinebook Pro/RockPro64 Starfall 1 1,156 04-17-2023, 05:00 AM
Last Post: lkoini
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than normal to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,353 07-12-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Weatherburn
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than expected to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,489 04-16-2022, 07:17 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,373 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc
Star Very Lightly Used PineBook Pro ragnarlothbrok64 4 3,168 01-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sascha
  PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck compatibility DevonBirch 1 1,954 08-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Buy a Pinebook kaizmoto1489 3 3,771 07-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Pinebook Pro has become dead, no lights? JohnKarpenter 3 3,602 07-01-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas