Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023?
(06-20-2023, 02:00 AM)dante404 Wrote: @zetabeta & @Pelecanus :
I meant updates of the signal-desktop-app (sorry for not beeing precise on this), but everything you said about signal-cli is of course relevant and helpful as well, thanks! Smile

The answer is similar - always have a backup, then just update / download and install the new version Smile
(06-20-2023, 03:35 AM)Pelecanus Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 02:00 AM)dante404 Wrote: @zetabeta & @Pelecanus :
I meant updates of the signal-desktop-app (sorry for not beeing precise on this), but everything you said about signal-cli is of course relevant and helpful as well, thanks!  Smile

The answer is similar - always have a backup, then just update / download and install the new version Smile
OK, thank you very much! Smile
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
Another short question to all "Signal-Desktop on PinePhone"-users here Wink :
Do you also have the problem that you can't open/view (or save)... pictures someone sent you?
I see a blurred image in the chat, with the round "arrow down" icon/button on top in the middle, the icon reacts when touched (short circle animation) but nothing happens in the end. Can't see what relatives and friends have sent me (via their regular Signal App for Android/iOS). Sad
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
(06-20-2023, 07:28 AM)dante404 Wrote: Another short question to all "Signal-Desktop on PinePhone"-users here Wink :
Do you also have the problem that you can't open/view (or save)... pictures someone sent you?
I see a blurred image in the chat, with the round "arrow down" icon/button on top in the middle, the icon reacts when touched (short circle animation) but nothing happens in the end. Can't see what relatives and friends have sent me (via their regular Signal App for Android/iOS). Sad

It works for me. The image isn't blurred and I can save the image. I'm using Signal Desktop v6.20.2 from undef1 repository.
(06-20-2023, 02:13 PM)Pelecanus Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 07:28 AM)dante404 Wrote: Another short question to all "Signal-Desktop on PinePhone"-users here Wink :
It works for me. The image isn't blurred and I can save the image. I'm using Signal Desktop v6.20.2 from undef1 repository.
Using the same version from the same repo. Strange. Did you compile it yourself? (I used the .deb)
Which OS do you use on your PinePhone if I may ask? (I'm using Mobian, perhaps there's the difference?)
(06-21-2023, 12:02 AM)dante404 Wrote: Using the same version from the same repo. Strange. Did you compile it yourself? (I used the .deb)
Which OS do you use on your PinePhone if I may ask? (I'm using Mobian, perhaps there's the difference?)

I use the .tar.xz (reason is that there was no .deb when I first installed it). I wonder if this can make a difference?
And Mobian on my PinePhone, too.
(06-21-2023, 07:58 AM)Pelecanus Wrote: I use the .tar.xz (reason is that there was no .deb when I first installed it). I wonder if this can make a difference?
It shouldn't I think... but I don't see any other possible difference.  Huh
Thanks for the reply/info!!!

(Sadly my Axolotl got deregistered (and registering doesn't work anymore) when registering singal-cli, now I can have groups and can add new contacts but don't see images anymore... damn  Undecided   )
(06-21-2023, 08:46 AM)dante404 Wrote: (Sadly my Axolotl got deregistered (and registering doesn't work anymore) when registering singal-cli, now I can have groups and can add new contacts but don't see images anymore... damn  Undecided   )

Maybe a workaround is to use the signal-cli?:

Code:
signal-cli -a <your phone number> receive

It stores pictures in `~/.local/share/signal-cli/attachments/`.
(06-21-2023, 09:32 AM)Pelecanus Wrote: Maybe a workaround is to use the signal-cli?:
Yes, would be an option - Better than nothing I guess Wink - Thank you!
(Used signal-cli just on my Linux-Desktop-PC to activate the Client on the PinePhone, so I guess I will have to get it on the PinePhone as well...)

@zetabeta & @shulamy:
Because it seems not to be a general problem according to Pelecanus - Does your "Signal-Desktop-App on PinePhone" show images someone sent you? Huh
(06-23-2023, 07:39 AM)dante404 Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 09:32 AM)Pelecanus Wrote: Maybe a workaround is to use the signal-cli?:
Yes, would be an option - Better than nothing I guess Wink - Thank you!
(Used signal-cli just on my Linux-Desktop-PC to activate the Client on the PinePhone, so I guess I will have to get it on the PinePhone as well...)

@zetabeta & @shulamy:
Because it seems not to be a general problem according to Pelecanus - Does your "Signal-Desktop-App on PinePhone" show images someone sent you? Huh

i have to check it - next week

ezik

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternatives to Signal or simple signal setup methods? JamesBond009 3 655 04-25-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 38 25,254 04-23-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: donchurch
  PinePhone app development WhiteHexagon 15 4,020 04-23-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Jonnyc
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 484 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Sms apps and signal messenger boggle 8 7,431 02-16-2024, 06:03 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,442 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 24,573 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 2,026 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 102,623 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 1,002 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim