can't get quartz64-A working
Hi,

I've tried to get a quartz64-A up and running with numerous images (manjaro, plebian, gentoo), and I'm not getting any response from it. The power LED comes on and some of the images light the heartbeat LED, but I don't get a video output, my router doesn't detect a new device on the network (I've attached it via ethernet), and I'm not able to get a response from the uart/usb interface (I'm new to uart, so I'm not 100% sure on this point). I've tried booting off a eMMC and microSD. I checked the microSD with badblocks to see if it was corrupt, but it checks out.

Any recommendations?
(04-11-2023, 01:12 PM)jyoung Wrote: I've tried to get a quartz64-A up and running with numerous images (manjaro, plebian, gentoo), and I'm not getting any response from it. The power LED comes on and some of the images light the heartbeat LED, but I don't get a video output, my router doesn't detect a new device on the network (I've attached it via ethernet), and I'm not able to get a response from the uart/usb interface (I'm new to uart, so I'm not 100% sure on this point). I've tried booting off a eMMC and microSD. I checked the microSD with badblocks to see if it was corrupt, but it checks out.

Any recommendations?

Please share the exact experience with each image.

I only have experience with Plebian, so the following (only) applies to that:
- Which (exact) image version/release did you download? Did you verify the download with the checksum?
- Plebian resizes the partition/filesystem on first boot, so that can take a bit longer.
- https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Quartz64#Co...Debug_UART describes how to connect the UART; it should work on Model A, so you should get output
(04-11-2023, 02:15 PM)diederik Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 01:12 PM)jyoung Wrote: I've tried to get a quartz64-A up and running with numerous images (manjaro, plebian, gentoo), and I'm not getting any response from it. The power LED comes on and some of the images light the heartbeat LED, but I don't get a video output, my router doesn't detect a new device on the network (I've attached it via ethernet), and I'm not able to get a response from the uart/usb interface (I'm new to uart, so I'm not 100% sure on this point). I've tried booting off a eMMC and microSD. I checked the microSD with badblocks to see if it was corrupt, but it checks out.

Any recommendations?

Please share the exact experience with each image.

I only have experience with Plebian, so the following (only) applies to that:
- Which (exact) image version/release did you download? Did you verify the download with the checksum?
- Plebian resizes the partition/filesystem on first boot, so that can take a bit longer.
- https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Quartz64#Co...Debug_UART describes how to connect the UART; it should work on Model A, so you should get output

I just tried the "Pine Quartz64 A" image from Armbian

github.com/armbian/build/releases/

There was no HDMI video output that I could detect, and my router did not detect a new device on the network (the board was plugged in directly). I tried flashing the image to the eMMC and the microSD card. There was no heartbeat LED, although I have seen that with some other images. I just tried mounting the microSD card's partition on my desktop, and there's no /var/log/messages file, which suggests that the board didn't boot up.

Although I did not attempt to connect via uart this time, when I've done so in the past I've followed that wiki's information on the pin connections. I'm using this device

circuit.rocks/usb-to-ttl-serial-cable-debug-console-cable-raspberry-pi.html

And, as per the wiki, connecting the black socket to pin 6, the green to pin 8, and the white to pin 10.
which power supply do you use ? what is the state of the jumper next to the eMMC connector (there should be a jumper on the one closest to the edge, there should be no jumper on the second one)? How is the image recorded on the SD card ?
I've tried two 12V power supplies, one from an odyssey seeed board and a mini-atx power supply. I've manually checked the voltage on both, and which come out as 12.14V and 11.84V, respectively. In this most recent experiment, I used the atx power supply. To create the images, I'm using dd as such

dd if=Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0254_Quartz64a_jammy_edge_6.2.0-rc6_minimal.img of=/dev/sdd status=progress

Neither jumper is jumped.
(04-12-2023, 09:37 AM)jyoung Wrote: I've tried two 12V power supplies, one from an odyssey seeed board and a mini-atx power supply. I've manually checked the voltage on both, and which come out as 12.14V and 11.84V, respectively. In this most recent experiment, I used the atx power supply. To create the images, I'm using dd as such

dd if=Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0254_Quartz64a_jammy_edge_6.2.0-rc6_minimal.img of=/dev/sdd status=progress

Write down the image with a program (the forum often indicates programs for recording that users use), dd often gives incorrect results and problems at startup (if you need details, why it is not recommended to use dd - see the armbian forum, there is a lot of information there and there is a special topic with details). Show a photo of your jumpers (which are next to the eMMC connector), there should be a jumper on the one closest to the edge, if I don't confuse the prayer, without a jumper, the launch from SD\eMMC will be blocked (disabled).

Quote from WiKI page

Troubleshooting
Stability/Boot Issues With Missing Battery Shunt
If there is no battery plugged into the board, the jumper labelled "ON/OFF_BATT" must be in place. If this is set wrong, stability issues such as failures to boot will occur.
(04-12-2023, 11:45 PM)balbes150 Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 09:37 AM)jyoung Wrote: I've tried two 12V power supplies, one from an odyssey seeed board and a mini-atx power supply. I've manually checked the voltage on both, and which come out as 12.14V and 11.84V, respectively. In this most recent experiment, I used the atx power supply. To create the images, I'm using dd as such

Write down the image with a program (the forum often indicates programs for recording that users use), dd often gives incorrect results and problems at startup (if you need details, why it is not recommended to use dd - see the armbian forum, there is a lot of information there and there is a special topic with details). Show a photo of your jumpers (which are next to the eMMC connector), there should be a jumper on the one closest to the edge, if I don't confuse the prayer, without a jumper, the launch from SD\eMMC will be blocked (disabled).

Quote from WiKI page

Troubleshooting
Stability/Boot Issues With Missing Battery Shunt
If there is no battery plugged into the board, the jumper labelled "ON/OFF_BATT" must be in place. If this is set wrong, stability issues such as failures to boot will occur.

Interesting... I'll give that a try and report back. Can you send a link to the Armbian forum you mentioned? I've searched a bit and I can't find concerns about dd.
https://forum.armbian.com/
I'm guessing a direct link to "there is a special topic with details" would be (more) useful
(04-15-2023, 05:13 AM)diederik Wrote: I'm guessing a direct link to "there is a special topic with details" would be (more) useful

Here is an image of the jumpers, and of the uart pins attached to the appropriate gpio pin.

This forum thread
forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16797
suggests that these manjaro images should work out of the box
github.com/manjaro-arm/quartz64-a-images/releases/tag/20220606

but I just tried the xfce image with both power supplies, and no HDMI signal and no new device detected by the router.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quartz64 seeming died Darin755 0 151 01-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Darin755
  Quartz64 model a neither booting nor resetting without pressing reset button aleix 2 1,179 08-24-2023, 04:52 AM
Last Post: aleix
  Thoughts on repairs for a Quartz64-B beepy 1 787 08-02-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: beepy
Question Li-Pol QUARTZ64 Model-B vs Model-A polrus 1 761 07-13-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Trustzone support for QUARTZ64 capablegh 13 7,075 04-28-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: NCLI
  Need a working image for Quartz64B Excalibur 23 9,791 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Booting Quartz64 Model B Jojo120120 14 7,633 01-23-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  quartz64 model b 2x20 max power proj964 1 1,551 10-23-2022, 05:32 AM