Software for PineTab-V
What OS is primarily being worked on for the PineTab-V?  Also, is there a channel for RISC-V development?  I would be interested in helping.

Mike
I don't think anything was announced as such, and will likely be dependent upon whichever developer(s) decide to pick up the project and get what they want running. (I'm willing to bet an Arch port will be in the short list of first OSes.)

Good idea for the suggested forum! If one doesn't pop-up, I'll propose it in the Mod subforum.
(04-03-2023, 08:09 AM)tophneal Wrote: I'm willing to bet an Arch port will be in the short list of first OSes.

Or Debian as there is already an (unofficial) port for riscv64. AFAIUI the only obstacle to make it an official port is having build daemons which meet the Debian System Administrators (DSA) requirements. But riscv64 is already in quite a good shape in Debian Cool
NetBSD is only as far away as someone's ambition.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
I did some quick research on the RISC-V site and they mention Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE. So it does sound like Debian would be the OS of choice, since the others are more server oriented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have pre-ordered PineTab-V a few days ago, waiting for good news about the OSes!
Just pre-ordered mine today - I haven't done system-level stuff since Clinton was in office, but I'd like to at least try to assist to hose the management sludge out of my brain at the end of the day.
(04-03-2023, 08:09 PM)msm Wrote: I did some quick research on the RISC-V site and they mention Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE.  So it does sound like Debian would be the OS of choice, since the others are more server oriented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but based on that criteria, fedora would feel more fitting since it's garnered more to workstations now and debian is like the ole trusty of server linuxes (at least for me)
(04-25-2023, 11:01 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 08:09 PM)msm Wrote: I did some quick research on the RISC-V site and they mention Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE.  So it does sound like Debian would be the OS of choice, since the others are more server oriented.

I could be wrong, but based on that criteria, fedora would feel more fitting since it's garnered more to workstations now and debian is like the ole trusty of server linuxes (at least for me)

You are wrong ;-P
While it's true that Debian Stable is often used on servers. But it also works fine on workstations/PCs. Or on mobile (mobian).

But if you're going for PineTab-V (also for the normal PineTab2), you shouldn't run Bookworm (the next Stable version), but Trixie/Testing as you will need newer software and especially kernels. If you want to contribute to the upbringing of (software support for) a new device, I have a hard time understanding why you'd want to run Stable anyway.

I have been running Sid/Unstable on my main PC for ~10 years now. It's not for everyone (and you shouldn't do it if you're new to Debian), but it is for me.
(04-25-2023, 04:11 PM)diederik Wrote: You are wrong ;-P
While it's true that Debian Stable is often used on servers. But it also works fine on workstations/PCs. Or on mobile (mobian).

well technically, no, i'm not. i never said debian wasn't used for any of those devices Tongue just that i felt (100% my opinion) fedora was better geared towards workstations than debian.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab 2 login screen rotation fix chzbacon 11 3,968 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: mtomaschett
  NixOS on PineTab 2 asonix 3 2,048 02-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Evergreen
  Working OS on pinetab RISC-V? user641 3 764 12-13-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinetab 2 as Pinebook Pro replacement Corkonian 4 2,192 08-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: CadenAnderson
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,542 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc
  PineTab 2 Login Failure cptijerina 0 685 06-07-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: cptijerina
  PineTab Mobian bcnaz 150 145,961 04-26-2022, 11:58 AM
Last Post: thomzane
  Xmonad on PineTab Telefza 0 1,809 06-24-2021, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Telefza
  PineTab Mobian Upgrade issue - Pin no longer works thomzane 3 4,086 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: thomzane
  Video Tutorial: SDR/GQRX- Listening In To Voice On Pinetab (Internal SDR) RTP 1 2,452 03-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: barray