[OUTDATED] Debian Jessie (4.7.0-rc1 Kernel) Images
THE INFORMATION HERE IS EXTREMELY OUTDATED. THIS WAS A HACKY BUILD TO GET MAINLINE ON THE A64 BACK IN 2016. IN THE MODERN DAY, LOOK ELSEWHERE. THIS REMAINS SOLELY FOR LEGACY REASONS.

WARNING, dragons ahead! This thread and its contents are only suitable for advanced users and/or masochists!

After weeks of experimentation, I have managed to get this work into what I considered a presentable (though far from perfect; read on to find out more) state.

Based on lennyraposo's Debian Jessie headless image, I have built a new image, with a far newer kernel. As of currently, all of the standard Linux images use a kernel in the 3.10 family. This one is 4.7.0-rc1.

Limitations

As the development of mainline Linux for Allwinner devices (especially the A64) is far from complete, there are more than a few missing features here. Read the below chart for a breakdown of all present or missing features.

Basic functionality (boot, login, serial output): Working
Ethernet: Working
USB: Bottom USB port ONLY
HDMI: No output at all
Audio: No working
WiFi: Untested
Bluetooth: Untested
SD card I/O: Works, but is slow (~3MB/s)

If the above Christmas tree of color did not scare you off, then read on! If you want something that is fully functional, go for lennyraposo's standard Debian images or anything else!

Disclaimer:

Before you get to the download, let me make it clear one more time: this is highly experimental and likely unstable software! I, nor anyone else whose work is put into this, am not responsible for any damages that this image may inflict! Please don't come crying to me if flashing this image causes your Pine64 to explode, your house and car to be repossessed, or your significant other to leave you.

That being said, do please report any unexpected issues or discontinuities in functionality compared to the above chart. Smile

Download:

Primary download: Here

Flash as with any other image: Unzip archive, flash .img file to SD card with Win32DiskImager (or dd or your alternate tool of choice -- not PhoenixCard!), put card in Pine, apply power...

Login/password is debian/debian. Of course you will have to either use the serial UART, or find the IP of the Pine in the method of your choice and SSH in.

Thanks/Credits:

I did not build all the necessary tools and kernel modifications to create an image like this. I have a whole list of people, most far more skilled than I, whose work I built upon.

apritzel, longsleep, Icenowy, and everyone else in the linux-sunxi community: Tons of work on the Linux kernel as well as boot firmware of the Allwinner chips, without which nothing remotely resembling this would be possible.

lennyraposo: For the Debian Jessie image from which I built upon and ripped the rootfs from.

Friends in the Pine64 IRC network: Encouragement and suggestions when I got especially frustrated. (Btw, everyone reading this should check it out! Wink )

Anyone else I may have forgotten!
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

Good job mate ! Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hi,

would you mind to share the kernel source tree you've used to build the kernel?

Cheers
Uli
(07-20-2016, 02:04 PM)umiddelb Wrote: Hi,

would you mind to share the kernel source tree you've used to build the kernel?

Cheers
Uli

The kernel tree is this one. If you're looking to have functional ethernet, you'll also have to use this firmware image.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(07-20-2016, 02:18 PM)fire219 Wrote: If you're looking to have functional ethernet, you'll also have to use this firmware image.
Thank you! That is what I have missed. I was wondering why I didn't manage to the get the ethernet device up and runnig with a64-v5.
Btw. SD-card performance seems to be much better there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian installer on Pine A64+ but no hdmi mrwick 1 4,882 07-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Last Post: kuleszdl
  Debian Pine64 h264/5 Video under vlc ozcy 6 12,746 04-15-2020, 05:27 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  OMV/debian/systemd: how to start the network kittyland 0 2,938 12-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kittyland
  Debian 10 (Buster) in deep freeze - includes support for Pine64+ amp 5 10,087 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: amp
  Pine64 Debian Stretch/mainline [4.14.7] CallMeFoxie 50 121,077 07-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: amp
  Installing Debian with the Debian Installer (Buster RC1) amp 1 4,752 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Kaarme42
  Script to build pure Debian images for Pine64+ amp 1 4,188 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Debian (Stretch) for Pine64-LTS wgray 2 6,262 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: wgray
  Is there just one fuctioning Debian Desktop image? KNERD 7 13,060 03-29-2019, 02:00 AM
Last Post: desai_amogh
  (ARCHIVED) Debian Jessie Images (3.10.102 BSP Kernel) New Release lenny.raposo-pine64.pro 259 459,769 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Luke