Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips
Quote:3. Wireplumber does not swithc Callaudio profiles correctly (sometimes it does but most of the times not)
Many times when you start call it will start in speaker mode - so you are stuck in "speaker mode mic" until the end of call
There is your echo - I think?

I have been considering a rewrite of callaudiod so that it interfaces with pipewire directly, rather than through Pulse/Alsa. Before I head down this adventure, I was wondering if anyone else has considered or started this process?

Thanks,
Daniel

(A guy who just wants to hear his wife when she calls.)

(07-20-2023, 01:24 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote: You are using wireplumber and pipewire-pulse right?

I have been able to reproduce echo on the other end only whit "speaker mode mic".

Currently there are some issues which are not very well documented so I try to write them down:
1. Somehow there are two mic setups "earpiece" and "speaker"
There is only one setup in mic section if you look VoiceCall.conf so I don't fully understand where this is coming from
When people complain echo or too loud mic they are 99% sure using "speaker mic"

2. If you toggle speaker mode during call it will switch incoming sound correctly to earpiece or speaker but after first switch to speaker the mic setup will stay in "speaker mode" and does not come back to "earpiece mode" no matter what you do.
That is why some people claim that toggling speaker on/off will fix the mic in the beginning of the call
And those who claim that are 99% sure using too low mic values (they are by default 47 in Arch, Mobian and Manjaro and it is absolutely too low)
(sxmo even toggless speaker mode on and off before every call so they are at the moment all the time in "speaker mode mic" and they have to lower the mic to 20-25% in their settings to make it usable)

3. Wireplumber does not swithc Callaudio profiles correctly (sometimes it does but most of the times not)
Many times when you start call it will start in speaker mode - so you are stuck in "speaker mode mic" until the end of call
There is your echo - I think?

4. Incoming call while PPP is suspended will destroy the earpiece mic and make it REALLY much lower
How ever speaker mode mic is not affected - so for example in sxmo (see upper part) it feels like they don't have this issue but the reason is another bug xD
And because of the above some people claim that they can fix this toggling speaker on/off (which is kind of true)

5. The speaker mode mic so is so damn sensitive that you can whisper from 1 meter distance and the other party will hear you really loud an clear

6. If you have wifi/bluetooth killed by the killswitch callaudio will suspend in few seconds and you can't be heard and hear anything
Megi did give me some idea how to fix this but I have not been able to try it
What you can do with this easily? Use pulseaudio and disable pulseaudio suspend - then it will work. But it will also prevent suspend totally so not a good idea Smile

I am trying to figure this out but not with good success so feel free to help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips - by dcartman - 09-18-2023, 01:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Calls: ALSA UCM config not making a difference with volume lightwo 3 160 Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 16 2,364 04-28-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Battery life thread: discussion, support and tips apink 6 2,163 09-22-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: tookmeayear
  Guide to Suitable Phone State Borealid 19 10,993 09-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: robocone
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 1,091 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,588 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Mobian has new separate packages to support the PinePhone Pro mburns 22 7,708 04-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,865 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 1,070 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Making and receiving calls via command line Zotax 0 855 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Zotax