Bookworm Satellite Navigation
Since I have upgraded to Bookworm(borked my system playing with BT, iptables, etc.; wiped, reloaded) I have not had working satellite navigation.  I after following the steps in the Mobian wiki I can use cellphone tower location and internet provide geolocation but those both put me between 5 and 30km away, not usable.

Does anyone have satellite navigation working on Bookworm?

If you do how did you achieve this? 

Did you follow the wiki or another guide?

Hand installation and config Mobian wiki page - https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=location (does NOT specify Mobian release)

Thanks!
Not in a reliable, everyday sort of way, or I would have updated the wiki, but I have had it working. I stuck what I found so far in another thread on location/gps but haven't dug into it further yet.
I tried it again a couple weeks ago after a long time of not using it and I was able to get a decent and accurate fix reasonably quickly while outside. A year ago, it wouldn't get a decent fix even after half an hour while outside. I didn't do anything in particular to adjust it. Just, software updates and possibly the community modem firmware helped a bit.
I will cut the bit out of the reinstall guide which has been working for bookworm and puremaps-osn scout server.

Code:
sudo mmcli -m any --location-enable-gps-nmea --location-enable-gps-raw

(do the apt installs only if you didn't in the main guide)
Code:
sudo apt install gpsd gpsd-clients

scale the gui
Code:
scale-to-fit xgps on
scale-to-fit xgpsspeed on

Edit gpsd for the pinephone's modem/GPS connection in DEVICES="your modem"
Code:
sudo vi /etc/default/gpsd
  ------- add /dev/ttyUSB1 to devices--- 
Code:
DEVICES="/dev/ttyUSB1"
restart and daemons
Code:
sudo systemctl start gpsd.service
sudo systemctl status gpsd.service

Setup geoclue
Code:
sudo vi /usr/lib/systemd/system/geoclue.service
  ---- add in the “[Service]” section---
Code:
Environment="G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue"

restart daemons
Code:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl restart geoclue.service

***Remember to turn ON navigation in the Settings app, under Privacy > Location Services***
Turning on Location services will get a mobile telephone network assist for AGPS as long as you have Internet too, if you are a privacy person you do not need to enable the Mozilla location service for AGPS to work as I show above.

I have found that puremaps seems to work best at triggering the GPS to take a fix and paired with OSM scout server so I can have my maps ready and offline, be sure to setup your maps before you travel
This thread will help get the community firmware onto your modem.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17186
By the way, I just had to reinstall Mobian and was able to test the GNSS essentially out of the box (I did nothing whatsoever to configure it) with PureMaps and OSM Scout Server (these were the only two things that were configured). I was able to get a decent fix very quickly even though I was riding in a bus with a metal roof.

Does adding gpsd into the mix help make it work better?
(08-28-2022, 03:36 PM)vortex Wrote: By the way, I just had to reinstall Mobian and was able to test the GNSS essentially out of the box (I did nothing whatsoever to configure it) with PureMaps and OSM Scout Server (these were the only two things that were configured). I was able to get a decent fix very quickly even though I was riding in a bus with a metal roof.

Interesting, I had thought the ttyUSB1 port on the modem had to be designated.
As far as I know it lets you use mobile phone networou do initial setup.k signals to get a general location and precise time to bootstrap a satellite fix by scanning for the right satellites.
Did you configure the mozilla location backend, I think that does some of that when you choose yes on that option during the first boot.
(08-29-2022, 12:56 AM)biketool Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 03:36 PM)vortex Wrote: By the way, I just had to reinstall Mobian and was able to test the GNSS essentially out of the box (I did nothing whatsoever to configure it) with PureMaps and OSM Scout Server (these were the only two things that were configured). I was able to get a decent fix very quickly even though I was riding in a bus with a metal roof.

Interesting, I had thought the ttyUSB1 port on the modem had to be designated.
As far as I know it lets you use mobile phone networou do initial setup.k signals to get a general location and precise time to bootstrap a satellite fix by scanning for the right satellites.
Did you configure the mozilla location backend, I think that does some of that when you choose yes on that option during the first boot.

I did not configure the mozilla location backend.

Puremaps is using Geoclue behind the scenes and I think Geoclue use ModemManager to get the position (and it knows which ports to use).

Having dug around a bit, you are on the dot that it starts with a time sync from the mobile network and the cell tower to get an initial guess of position. Additionally, the distros now also download AGPS data from the internet and upload it to the modem to get a fix. It is this last step that wasn't present at first. Early on, AGPS upload was not in virtually any of the distros and did not work well. I think it was SUSE that was the first non-android based one to get it working in the distro itself (quite a few people had done proof of concepts). I think later it got added to eg25-manager, but I am not sure. Anyhow, after that it spread around. Without AGPS, it can take a very long time to get a fix with the tiny antennas and poor positioning that is on modern cell phones. The satellites transmit their orbital information, but with poor reception like cell phones have, it is often garbled and they have to wait again. This is why, before AGPS, fixes took so long and the cell phone had to be outside with the antenna facing up. With AGPS, that bit is solved and they can get a fix quite quickly despite terrible reception.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,819 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,255 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,540 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,071 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,507 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 889 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  Bookworm ragreenburg 169 105,252 03-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Last Post: pFalken
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,596 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,439 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,462 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM