Trouble building (& using) pinephone-keyboard tools
I'm trying to build the pinephone-keyboard package on PostmarketOS, so I can see the keyboard's battery with one of its commands. After installing php and gcc to solve the dependency errors I was getting, I got stuck on one I couldn't figure out:
Code:
In file included from i2c-inputd.c:22:
common.c:20:10: fatal error: linux/usbdevice_fs.h: No such file or directory

I did a search and found the file in a GitHub repo that's supposed to be a Linux kernel - I don't know much on the subject, but I assume this means getting the tools to compile will be more complicated than a simple apk install... Unless, by some miracle, make's just not finding the header file hidden in some system folder Undecided

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers
(05-22-2022, 12:18 AM)64_Tesseract Wrote: I'm trying to build the pinephone-keyboard package on PostmarketOS, so I can see the keyboard's battery with one of its commands. After installing php and gcc to solve the dependency errors I was getting, I got stuck on one I couldn't figure out:
Code:
In file included from i2c-inputd.c:22:
common.c:20:10: fatal error: linux/usbdevice_fs.h: No such file or directory

I did a search and found the file in a GitHub repo that's supposed to be a Linux kernel - I don't know much on the subject, but I assume this means getting the tools to compile will be more complicated than a simple apk install... Unless, by some miracle, make's just not finding the header file hidden in some system folder Undecided

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers

Install the
Code:
linux-headers
package.
Compiled without issues, thanks!
Forgive me for peppering you with questions, but I have been (very!) curious about this as well.

1. Does it work?

2. I thought it also required some kernel support (but maybe that's there already)?

3. What distro / shell / version of PMOS are you on (I am on SXMO 1.9.0)?

I don't even see /sys/class/power_supply/ip5xxx-*, so I am wondering if I fried my chip, or maybe I just don't have recent enough kernel.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(08-15-2022, 07:30 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Forgive me for peppering you with questions, but I have been (very!) curious about this as well.

1. Does it work?

2. I thought it also required some kernel support (but maybe that's there already)?

3. What distro / shell / version of PMOS are you on (I am on SXMO 1.9.0)?

I don't even see /sys/class/power_supply/ip5xxx-*, so I am wondering if I fried my chip, or maybe I just don't have recent enough kernel.

I've got SXMO 1.8.2 on the original PP, and I think PostmarketOS should already have support for the keyboard considering it receives inputs & all. I only just got around to trying the tools out, but unfortunately I'm not having much luck Sad

If I try running ppkb-i2c-charger-ctl with any command, it just gives me a very helpful
Code:
ERROR: Proxy read failed with ff

I'm not seeing /sys/class/power_supply/ip5xxx-* either but i2c-adapter has a bunch of stuff in it, so the keyboard should be accessible from one of those folders.
I am pretty sure the power management (ip5xxx) kernel support is not there (yet) in Stable SXMO (which is what I am on; 1.9.0).  Not sure about Edge.  The keyboard works though (as an input device).

More details can be found in a recent post I made to sxmo-user mailing list.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(08-23-2022, 04:17 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I am pretty sure the power management (ip5xxx) kernel support is not there (yet) in Stable SXMO (which is what I am on; 1.9.0).  Not sure about Edge.  The keyboard works though (as an input device).

More details can be found in a recent post I made to sxmo-user mailing list.

I read through your post and actually, I'm having the same issue as you - the PP discharges faster with the keyboard than without. It used to charge the phone fine when I got it a few months ago, but it died not long after, even when I followed the warnings & only charged it through the keyboard.

I tried shimming it with board from a few directions, but I'm afraid I might've damaged the cables, so I wanted to check if the problem lay in the battery itself or just the connection with these tools. Never got around to using a multimeter either since I wouldn't know what to look for in the first place...

Oh well, guess I'll be using an external battery pack & repeatedly replacing the back cover until SXMO's updated lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 33 24,386 04-09-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 402 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,326 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 23,893 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,912 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 101,156 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 12,845 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 944 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 2,120 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,333 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega