Is Manjaro Plasma stable for anyone?
(09-23-2022, 12:35 PM)commiecam Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 01:29 AM)projectcato Wrote: So far, I'm finding Manjaro Plasma completely unusable. The first, most obvious problem is the longer the phone's been running, the longer it takes to wake up. If I put the battery in at breakfast, it's minutes to wake by lunch. I'm looking around at the other options to try this weekend. I tried to stick it out with Manjaro because it was picked as default for the Explorer edition.

Edit: just to be clear, this is for the Pinephone Pro, not a general statement on the state of the OS, and yes, I know it's still early days.

So far it's been almost stable on the Pinebook Pro, but of late when I log in as myself, the wallpaper  comes up, followed by a trouble page which stays up for about a half second, followed by a black screen, then wallpaper... a loop.  I was able to make out (after many passes, that it was a Plasma failure of some process which looks like kislave5.  When I log in as root or my alternate user, the problem is absent.  GOD!  can't wait to get rid of KDE and Plasma!  But of course, even the Manjaro XFCE version will not boot from SD because of Manjaro's screwed up uboot.  Don't get me wrong-- Manjaro is a decent Arch derivative, but its quirks make me loath to run it any longer than it takes for me to remove it safely without bricking the Pinebook Pro.

Not sure how you could "brick" a PineBook Pro with a removable eMMC storage device.
Perhaps "brick" is the wrong word here and I should have said wreck.. When you are partially disabled, with hands that work fairly well, but with almost no feeling of touch, it is fairly to easily damage small components when fiddling with them, especially stuff like the incredibly small locks on the flat cable connectors and stuff like that. With the truly lousy parts-supply situation, I am fearful of inadvertently doing damage that would then require me to wait months (years?) for Pine64 to stock and ship part I might need. Brick or wreck... under the circumstances the result might be much the same.
 while(!(succeed=try()));
No-- install Phosh
As of Thursday morning, October 6, the navigation and status panels have been missing for almost two weeks in Manjaro Plasma mobile.

Also, the session locking error has disappeared.
(10-06-2022, 09:13 AM)KNERD Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 09:01 AM)mburns Wrote: As of Thursday morning, October 6, the navigation and status panels have been missing for almost two weeks in Manjaro Plasma mobile.

Also, the session locking error has disappeared.

Is that the "stable" version or the unstable one?

I just now have cycled from unstable to stable and back. The unstable version had begun crashing its plasmashell process before the cycle. The downgrade to stable resulted in a session lock before the first login, and I did not investigate further. The upgrade to unstable resulted in a workable plasmashell, but with the missing panels.

A downgrade to the stable version last week also resulted in no panels.
(10-06-2022, 04:53 PM)KNERD Wrote: So the "stable" version is not so stable now.

I doubt the Manjaro folks ever visit over here. What does their forum say?

Latest stable version made problem for those who still using qt5-es2-wayland as discussed here:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/phone-no-lon...ble/122978

If you use the "qt5-es2-wayland" package, you have to replace it with qt5-wayland package.
(10-06-2022, 05:08 PM)u-kidjp Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 04:53 PM)KNERD Wrote: So the "stable" version is not so stable now.

I doubt the Manjaro folks ever visit over here. What does their forum say?

Latest stable version made problem for those who still using qt5-es2-wayland as discussed here:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/phone-no-lon...ble/122978

If you use the "qt5-es2-wayland" package, you have to replace it with qt5-wayland package.

https://invent.kde.org/teams/plasma-mobi...issues/136
I think I just "bricked" mine.

I did an update today that I typically do every few weeks.

Now it's stuck on "locker is broken and unlocking is not possible..."

I try to plug a keyboard into it but it doesn't seem to work ha. Guess I gotta reflash an OS on it.

The update I did is sudo pacman -Syyu

I have Mobian/Phosh on SD otherwise.

edit: I think I'll stick with manjaro/plasma mobile as main

I'll see if there's a difference with arch phosh on SD

lol, I think I bricked it... after doing dd with arch plasma, can't even boot into SD card with reset

Okay I was using Mobian and it does not have a bootloader apparently so I am using Manjaro now and SD card boot works thankfully.
There is now a plasma mobile settings package dated October14, 2022 that restores the missing panels. Today's unstable update of Manjaro Plasma also seems not to be crashy.

So now there is apparently less work left to be done with software support for this hardware. I am aware of the missing camera drivers, and of the glitchy playback of AV streams by Angelfish.
So now the window has closed. The October 16 unstable upgrade disallows the plasma mobile login.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] KDE Plasma Mobile 6.0 Builds & Ports dorkydev 5 796 04-15-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: u-kidjp
  "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4 OhMeadhbh 1 713 11-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Manajaro Plasma 6 files break unstable updates, 6-30 mburns 5 1,715 07-20-2023, 11:19 AM
  Manjaro Plasma unstable branch glitch mburns 2 1,138 06-21-2023, 08:03 AM
  Manjaro as shipped & camera? hambonius 1 960 06-20-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Manjaro Phosh - Tiny Blue Indicator Light - Blinking ArchiMark 2 1,002 06-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Netfilter not working on latest manjaro kernel robocone 1 1,250 12-29-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: robocone
  root password for manjaro Pine pro explorer edition HK order? Piotr 1 1,510 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Plasma Mobile Taskbar / Navigation Bar is Missing & Upper Panel X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,355 11-24-2022, 07:19 AM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,133 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0