Is Manjaro Plasma stable for anyone?
(04-30-2022, 04:55 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Wow, really?  I am very surprised about that.  But I have no experience with that distro/DE combo, so I suppose I have to take it at face value.  Thanks for the correction.

I lost my SD card with that OS on it so I have not checked in about three months.

So far, I like the Ubuntu Touch as it has working SMS, as well, they have people making actual mobile friendly apps such as Telegram and Matrix. The other OSes they are just sticking desktop apps on them and those are disasters.

However, it seems the development of Ubuntu Touch specially for PinePhone has gone stagnant. There are updates which appear, but those are generic ones for the OS itself which would cover all the devices. No improvements for any PinePhone hardware.
Re: distro comparison, you may be interested in https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2020/08...-of-phosh/ which I have posted the link to many times. It's kind of long but IMO very well informed article comparing the many different distros and ecosystems, along with a lot of history of previous Linux on phone attempts and context. I agree with his conclusions, but you can of course form your own. Lots of good info there though if, like me, you were not around for the whole history of Linux on phones (I know many around here were though).

Personally I am becoming more and more interested in SXMO nowadays due to annoyances on Phosh which are inevitable result of typical Red Hat / Gnome big corporate type stupidity[0], but then again I am cranky oldschool hacker[1] who prefers the shell, Emacs, IRC, using a newsreader, etc... so yeah, get off my lawn. lol Having said that, I still agree with the conclusions in the article.

[0] I think I finally concluded that producing F/LOSS, while admirable, in and of itself does not prevent the problems that all large organizations seem to have.
[1] I cannot claim to be in terms of skill level, only ethos.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(04-30-2022, 04:50 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(04-30-2022, 04:03 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:24 PM)Tim_D Wrote: My question is this... Huh how can I set up ANY SMS? Do I still need to hold onto my 2 year old Android phone JUST to get SMS?

SMS should 'just work' on any distro which supports PinePhone by now.  MMS is another story, although even that is becoming pretty well supprted by now (was not always the case).

Well, last I checked, the Manjaro with Plasma Mobile does not even come with a SMS application. Instead you have to install a modem app to even get any SMS received.

Wow. I didn't know other distributions supported it on the PinePhone  (Pro). I suppose at this point I really SHOULD hop Distros. Any good suggestions? If it matters, my cellphone (main one) is family mobile over T-Mobile. I'm not set because I accept I "might" have to change. Even do, I prefer the prepaid phone because if something is mucked up financially I have reaction time. Ah, the "convenience" of being poor and disabled... (Sorry, I really felt like I HAD to get that one in there after how "[some] people" have been lately.)
 Like computing && Like Linux == good people
(05-01-2022, 06:06 PM)Tim_D Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:24 PM)Tim_D Wrote: My question is this... Huh how can I set up ANY SMS? Do I still need to hold onto my 2 year old Android phone JUST to get SMS?

SMS should 'just work' on any distro which supports PinePhone by now.  MMS is another story, although even that is becoming pretty well supprted by now (was not always the case).

Well, last I checked, the Manjaro with Plasma Mobile does not even come with a SMS application. Instead you have to install a modem app to even get any SMS received.

Wow. I didn't know other distributions supported it on the PinePhone  (Pro). I suppose at this point I really SHOULD hop Distros. Any good suggestions? If it matters, my cellphone (main one) is family mobile over T-Mobile. I'm not set because I accept I "might" have to change. Even do, I prefer the prepaid phone because if something is mucked up financially I have reaction time. Ah, the "convenience" of being poor and disabled... (Sorry, I really felt like I HAD to get that one in there after how "[some] people" have been lately.)

You could try Ubuntu Touch by UBPorts. Seems hardware development for PinePhone hardware itself seems stagnant at the moment,

(04-30-2022, 05:27 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Re: distro comparison, you may be interested in https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2020/08...-of-phosh/ which I have posted the link to many times.  It's kind of long but IMO very well informed article comparing the many different distros and ecosystems, along with a lot of history of previous Linux on phone attempts and context.  I agree with his conclusions, but you can of course form your own.  Lots of good info there though if, like me, you were not around for the whole history of Linux on phones (I know many around here were though).

Personally I am becoming more and more interested in SXMO nowadays due to annoyances on Phosh which are inevitable result of typical Red Hat / Gnome big corporate type stupidity[0], but then again I am cranky oldschool hacker[1] who prefers the shell, Emacs, IRC, using a newsreader, etc... so yeah, get off my lawn.  lol  Having said that, I still agree with the conclusions in the article.

[0] I think I finally concluded that producing F/LOSS, while admirable, in and of itself does not prevent the problems that all large organizations seem to have.
[1] I cannot claim to be in terms of skill level, only ethos.

That article is a couple of years old now and slightly dated. It mentions SailFish OS, but despite their profit movitvation of development, I see they are not doing much for PinePhone. Otherwise I would consider that.
Manjaro Plasma has never been stable. Manjaro Phosh is stable.
Before my PPP went south which is likely due to sd/sim card holder, failure,  I had mostly everything needed for a cellphone working using manjaro-phosh.  That included voice calls with sim card (send/receive).  Also, sms and mms (send/receive) were working.  Internet connection ran a browser.  Videos played.  As I recall suspend did shut down modem, a major drawback to practical use.  But maybe that is fixed.

Never had that success with manjaro-plasma.

Just for information.

tom kosvic
I've tried Manjaro Plasma and Manjaro Phosh. Overall, Phosh has been more generally stable, even though I personally dislike the organization of the GUI. I find I frequently open a program with Plasma just for it to either hang indefinitely or close itself. Though, I will say that the Angelfish browser on Plasma has worked great on pretty much every site I've thrown at it. I haven't tried any really complex HTML5 trying to run games or anything, but every video site from Odysee to YouTube has worked perfectly.
Thumbs Up 
Since plasma seems to be perpetually unstable, and I DO HIGHLY prize stability (in the Linux world anyways,) and since PHOSH was started by Purism, perhaps it is time to give it a shot. Besides, the idea of having bought a phone that can't make phone calls is starting to wear thin. For a bit it was okay since I had internet. But I kinda want a picture to be able to do BOTH

Ok, got another question, "deeper down the rabbit hole." Being my internet is tied to my cellphone, and to a slightly larger extent, hotspot... How am I going to get an update?
I can't speak for the experience of others, but I have had no problem with calls or SMS in either Plasma or Phosh. And Plasma certainly comes with an SMS/MMS program. It's called Spacebar. Also, I have T-Mobile and my data has worked just fine on everything I've tried it on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] KDE Plasma Mobile 6.0 Builds & Ports dorkydev 5 676 04-15-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: u-kidjp
  "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4 OhMeadhbh 1 655 11-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Manajaro Plasma 6 files break unstable updates, 6-30 mburns 5 1,605 07-20-2023, 11:19 AM
  Manjaro Plasma unstable branch glitch mburns 2 1,067 06-21-2023, 08:03 AM
  Manjaro as shipped & camera? hambonius 1 900 06-20-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Manjaro Phosh - Tiny Blue Indicator Light - Blinking ArchiMark 2 942 06-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Netfilter not working on latest manjaro kernel robocone 1 1,194 12-29-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: robocone
  root password for manjaro Pine pro explorer edition HK order? Piotr 1 1,463 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Plasma Mobile Taskbar / Navigation Bar is Missing & Upper Panel X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,312 11-24-2022, 07:19 AM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,099 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0