Boot order
I just read on the wiki that the PinePhone Pro EMMC has a higher boot priority than the SD card. Why did you do this? I have had several installations on the PinePhone become unbootable after an update and this means that the first time that happens, my phone becomes a paperweight.
The decision is by Rockchip for the RK3399.

It is the same for the RockPro64 and Pinebook pro.

It is perfectly possible on all the (Pine64) RK3399 devices to temporarily disable the eMMC during boot to recover a "brick".
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Just a different Boot priority order I think, If your eMMC is Not bootable, --->Then it should pick the sd card If the sd card is bootable.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Imho, this also makes sense for security reasons: If you normally run your device off eMMC, an attacker with physical access could easily boot from sdcard and tamper with your installation.

If you experiment a lot and prefer to use the eMMC for performance reasons you can still put the bootloader to sd and the rest of the system to eMMC. Then, if you brick the OS stored in eMMC you can swap sdcards and fix or replace it. This approach will require some manual work, though.

Since the SPI has the highest priority, a better general solution would be to have a firmware (e.g. UEFI) in SPI and provide a boot menu from there, just like on x86. Afaik, some developers tried something in this direction, but we are not there yet. For a more general discussion about this, see also this post on Drew's blog:

https://drewdevault.com/2022/01/18/Pine6...ities.html
(01-21-2022, 06:01 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: It is perfectly possible on all the (Pine64) RK3399 devices to temporarily disable the eMMC during boot to recover a "brick".

Is it possible without partially dissembling the device in order to short two contacts on the motherboard?

(01-22-2022, 03:48 AM)kuleszdl Wrote: Imho, this also makes sense for security reasons: If you normally run your device off eMMC, an attacker with physical access could easily boot from sdcard and tamper with your installation.

That does not enhance security in any way. Anyone with physical access could do anything that I could do.
(01-31-2022, 11:35 AM)Barugon Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 06:01 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: It is perfectly possible on all the (Pine64) RK3399 devices to temporarily disable the eMMC during boot to recover a "brick".

Is it possible without partially dissembling the device in order to short two contacts on the motherboard?

It is even easier than that on the Explorer Edition - see the wiki.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
FWIW, I and others have found that our PPP's will boot to SD without doing anything, other than inserting the SD card. I don't know why this would be. After I booted into ArchLinux Phosh, I went ahead and wiped out the eMMC as per the wiki, so I can't test that anymore. But, it DID boot to SD without pushing any buttons at all.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(01-31-2022, 11:51 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: It is even easier than that on the Explorer Edition - see the wiki.
Thanks.
basically , the PPPEE , will check the emmc for boot ,

The preloaded manjaro has a special version of uboot that will check SD First before booting itself , but if you wipe it and nothing is on the emmc then the SD will also boot ,

if you flash something else to the emmc then the SD won't boot and if it brick then you need to press the reset button under the cover to boot back on a sd card .. so yeah really easy in all scenario
NEED a JUMP DRIVE image for the Pro series phone
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 727 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Mobian + tow boot + emmc flash = boot loop spropine 4 3,186 12-31-2022, 09:14 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Need to re-write U-boot from Pinephone pro currently in mass rom mode wolverine1 6 2,851 11-20-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Tow-Boot issue Barugon 1 1,348 10-22-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: AndrewBlackmiller
  pinephone pro boot: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary kmerfeld 2 2,039 08-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: ajaso
  pinephone pro don’t boot anymore :/ (I erased bootloader by mistake) elode 9 4,862 06-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Last Post: elode
Information Fix PinePhone Pro when unable to boot due to drained battery butjar 7 5,925 05-21-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  My new Pinephone Pro does not boot any more jlioret 3 2,549 05-21-2022, 12:08 PM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  Tow-Boot on PP vasir 1 1,276 04-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: vasir
Thumbs Down Will it ever be able to order PinePhone pro from India? rksomayaji 4 2,756 04-01-2022, 03:25 PM
Last Post: nande