How can I update Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh using Terminal?
Hi,

The Beta version of Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh I'm running crops the screen awkwardly on the settings menu, which means I'm unable to update my device.

I assume I can update the device via a command line using Terminal.

What command/string do I need to type in to update all packages?

Thanks in advance   Smile
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
short version:
$ sudo pacman -Syu
(sometimes ,$ sudo pacman -Syyu)

if using root, if activated:
# pacman -****

if user then:
$ sudo pacman -****

only updates package list:
$ sudo pacman -Sy

downloads only, without updating package lists:
$ sudo pacman -Suw

you might be interested about "wayvnc" and 'xtigervncviewer", which can be used for remote graphical usage.

you may to want disable automatic updates, seems to be easier in manjaro phosh.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman
Thanks @zetabeta.

I now have a new problem. My internal storage is full, probably bloated with redundant files from failed past updates.

How can I dispose of any redundant files and make room for updates to be downloaded an installed?
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
(10-21-2021, 12:27 AM)danimations Wrote: I now have a new problem. My internal storage is full, probably bloated with redundant files from failed past updates.

I doubt this is the case, the internal storage is quite big. Try to find out where the space is taken up. You can do this with the du command for example. Or maybe your file system hasn't been resized properly and you don't even have the full storage available from the beginning? You could check this with "df -h".
(10-21-2021, 12:58 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(10-21-2021, 12:27 AM)danimations Wrote: I now have a new problem. My internal storage is full, probably bloated with redundant files from failed past updates.

I doubt this is the case, the internal storage is quite big. Try to find out where the space is taken up. You can do this with the du command for example. Or maybe your file system hasn't been resized properly and you don't even have the full storage available from the beginning? You could check this with "df -h".

Symptoms were:

Commenced updating via the Settings menu. I was warned I had approx. 750 MB of available space remaining. Total size of updates was 800mb+. I walked away from the device. Screen went black. Device got hot. Touchscreen became unresponsive. Blue light on. 

Took battery out. Restarted. Got stuck in infinite passcode entry loop (a problem I encountered several months back on a previous Beta build). 

Removed battery. Back to life. Now says zero bytes free space!

If I find my breakout cable, I could connect some peripherals and find my way around the OS. I'm new to Manjaro but have some Linux experience with desktop versions of Ubuntu.
Makes sense then, after all 800 is more than 750 ... The leftover space has most likely been taken up by the downloaded packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. I suggest you keep some more space free to have some room for cases like this. If your OS still boots normally, you can just delete part of the cache manually as described in the Arch wiki, no need for peripherals. If it doesn't boot it will be more complicated, in that case I would just flash a fresh image (you could backup files with Jumpdrive before).
For the benefit of anyone following this thread, I was able to use pacman to remove unnecessary packages that were sitting in my phone's cache. That gave me enough free space to run the updates via the Settings app, so I arrived at my destination.

You can find the cache clearing command I used in this thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15150

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using too much juice since last update Eugo 20 3,544 03-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  recent update Uturn 14 1,784 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 576 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,389 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,562 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 795 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Latest update Eugo 21 8,218 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,645 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Backup and Home Screen Tinkering on Phosh jakfish 0 848 02-24-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 1,004 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee