Mobiian Community edition issue after spalsh screen
Hi,
I received my community edition this morning and got it all set up but during updating I couldn't login back in to check the progress, type the pass code then it resets and expects it again. I have had this with mobian on my braveheart so did what I have done before and pressed the power button to turn it all off and turned it back on. I have the message 'OH no! Something as gone wring, A problem as occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again@ which I have done a number of times.

So, have I killed it in double quick time or can I re install the image on the emmc? Or is there some way to recover it?

Thanks

Ashley
(03-01-2021, 08:54 AM)ashley123 Wrote: Hi,
I received my community edition this morning and got it all set up but during updating I couldn't login back in to check the progress, type the pass code then it resets and expects it again. I have had this with mobian on my braveheart so did what I have done before and pressed the power button to turn it all off and turned it back on. I have the message 'OH no! Something as gone wring, A problem as occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again@ which I have done a number of times.

So, have I killed it in double quick time or can I re install the image on the emmc? Or is there some way to recover it?

Thanks

Ashley
Hi Ashley, It would be pretty hard to brick a Pinephone permanently. They're almost idiot proof. You let the screen go to sleep during the update. Don't let that happen. Read the blog here about that.

https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...pam_issue/

If you did break the installation here is a pretty good detailed video on how to re flash the Pinephone and start fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMkU43P9hw

Keep Mobian updated following the instructions in that blog probably every couple days because updates are rolling out quickly. It's getting very reliable.
If I helped you please rate +1. It helps make up for the lousy pay I get working here. Big Grin
have you tried getting in through a tty yet? sudo apt install -f may help get you back up in action.
(03-01-2021, 10:08 AM)tophneal Wrote: have you tried getting in through a tty yet? sudo apt install -f may help get you back up in action.

No, I am wondering if it is possible to get a terminal in order to try and fix it but I don't know how to do that on a pine phone.
(03-01-2021, 10:10 AM)ashley123 Wrote: No, I am wondering if it is possible to get a terminal in order to try and fix it but I don't know how to do that on a pine phone.

if you have a keyboard you can hook up to it you can switch to tty, just like on a desktop, whenever you see the gui login.
(03-01-2021, 10:12 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 10:10 AM)ashley123 Wrote: No, I am wondering if it is possible to get a terminal in order to try and fix it but I don't know how to do that on a pine phone.

if you have a keyboard you can hook up to it you can switch to tty, just like on a desktop, whenever you see the gui login.

Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard that connects (only BT and USB)
(03-01-2021, 10:32 AM)ashley123 Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard that connects (only BT and USB)

grab a little usb-c to usb-a adapter and you should be ab;e to use your usb one. if you had pairied the bt one already you could probably use it, but that's a bit hard to do if you cant get in to pair it.

if you can't use a kb to get into a tty, i'd say use jumpdrive and the latest mobian img, and reinstall it.
(03-01-2021, 10:32 AM)ashley123 Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 10:12 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard that connects (only BT and USB)
You can plug your USB keyboard into the convergence dock if you bought the 3GB CE edition it comes with it.

(03-01-2021, 10:45 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 10:32 AM)ashley123 Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard that connects (only BT and USB)

grab a little usb-c to usb-a adapter and you should be ab;e to use your usb one. if you had pairied the bt one already you could probably use it, but that's a bit hard to do if you cant get in to pair it.

if you can't use a kb to get into a tty, i'd say use jumpdrive and the latest mobian img, and reinstall it.
You shouldn't use the latest image. They are broken. Use the installer image if you want an encrypted drive and update it as per the blog instructions I linked in the first post. This is the factory image that comes on the Mobian CE Edition. The encrypted installer image. Bottom one.gz

https://images.mobian-project.org/pinephone/installer/

If encryption isn't important to you and you want less updates to download. the latest image not broken is this one. Still run the updates in the blog. Choose the Feb-10th .gz

https://images.mobian-project.org/pinephone/nightly/

If you want to tweak or learn more about Mobian this is an excellent source.

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=start
Thank you both!

I went with the emmc option and so far all seems fine.
I just got my PinePhone today, and the same thing happened to me.

I'm going through the steps to reflash the phone. I wanted to know how to flash the phone anyways, so this is a good exercise.

Thanks for this thread. It really helps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 202 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  New keyboard issue sandspur 29 11,404 10-05-2023, 02:27 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,117 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 591 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  Unsuspend → Black screen mdk 15 4,743 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Melechtna
  Lock screen question: always squeekboard tuxcall 1 1,141 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Haibara23
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 951 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Possible solutions to the battery draining issue? 3x5co 5 2,221 11-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,926 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  how to split screen? andrew907 2 1,404 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: andrew907