Pinephone USB-C Docking Bar (Amazing !!)
Thumbs Up 
Hi,

I have a Pinephone USB-C Docking Bar with my Manjaro Pinephone,
it’s just amazing I can use the phone like a computer on a 23" monitor or 4K Tv,
I try different mouse and keyboard, it work very well, I also can use usb key
and internet, everithing cool !!

Thanks again the Pine64 team and Developers. Smile
I've ordered my "PinePhone KDE edition" together with the USB-C docking bar option and it simply doesn't work!
The funny thing is that it works fine plugged it into my Desktop PC.

So I ordered another docking bar (Anker PowerExpand 6-in-1) at Amazon and this one works fine now.
I use it with mouse + keyboard connected by USB and the monitor connected by HDMI.
In addition there is a PowerUSB-Plug to load the phone in parallell ( <- not perfect but usable).

Maybe this will help one or the other "PinePhone-warrior" Wink having the same problem Wink

Best regards,
Andrew >:o)
It's dependent upon the distribution / kernel at the moment. And the KDE edition was / is also running older firmware on the ANX chip. I haven't tested HDMI yet but Ethernet and other USB peripherals were fine for me on Mobian. Charging on the Pinephone dock is only .5 A with the current kernel, but patches in Manjaro seem to be have more features for USB power delivery.
(02-16-2021, 05:56 AM)AndrewBlackmiller Wrote: I've ordered my "PinePhone KDE edition" together with the USB-C docking bar option and it simply doesn't work!
The funny thing is that it works fine plugged it into my Desktop PC.

So I ordered another docking bar (Anker PowerExpand 6-in-1) at Amazon and this one works fine now.
I use it with mouse + keyboard connected by USB and the monitor connected by HDMI.
In addition there is a PowerUSB-Plug to load the phone in parallell ( <- not perfect but usable).

Maybe this will help one or the other "PinePhone-warrior" Wink having the same problem Wink

Best regards,

You're not alone. Mine (KDE edition) also doesn't work with the included dock.  I'm really growing tired of everyone telling me "it should just work" and "did you try combination A, B or C with it".  I've done it all.  Tried 6-7 different distros on p-boot image, 4 different screens, 3 different power supplies, no idea how many different HDMI cables at this point.

I have one other dock that I tried (also didn't work) as well as I gave my Samsung Galaxy dock a try (didn't work either).  All of these docks work if I plug in my Galaxy S9+ though.
I'm giving up.
(02-16-2021, 01:33 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: You're not alone. Mine (KDE edition) also doesn't work with the included dock.  I'm really growing tired of everyone telling me "it should just work" and "did you try combination A, B or C with it".  I've done it all.  Tried 6-7 different distros on p-boot image, 4 different screens, 3 different power supplies, no idea how many different HDMI cables at this point.

I have one other dock that I tried (also didn't work) as well as I gave my Samsung Galaxy dock a try (didn't work either).  All of these docks work if I plug in my Galaxy S9+ though.
I'm giving up.

I've also tried any distro in any version and I think I know Linux not too bad Wink
BTW: My version is also the "KDE community edition".

So I recommend to invest some bucks into the Anker docking-bar and your problems should be solved.
I'm curious if it will work for you the same way as for me Wink

Regards,
(02-16-2021, 01:33 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: You're not alone. Mine (KDE edition) also doesn't work with the included dock.  I'm really growing tired of everyone telling me "it should just work" and "did you try combination A, B or C with it".  I've done it all.  Tried 6-7 different distros on p-boot image, 4 different screens, 3 different power supplies, no idea how many different HDMI cables at this point.

Have you tried other ports on the dock?  Does the Ethernet port work, for example?
(02-19-2021, 10:15 AM)dsimic Wrote:

Have you tried other ports on the dock?  Does the Ethernet port work, for example?

Connected to the pinephone the whole device is dead Smile
But its not a hardware defect, becaus it works fine connected to my IBM Thinkpad!

Best regards,
Andrew
(02-21-2021, 10:45 AM)AndrewBlackmiller Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 10:15 AM)dsimic Wrote: Have you tried other ports on the dock?  Does the Ethernet port work, for example?

Connected to the pinephone the whole device is dead Smile
But its not a hardware defect, becaus it works fine connected to my IBM Thinkpad!

That's really strange.  Could you, please, post here the kernel messages produced upon plugging the dock into your PinePhone?
Hello everyone,
also my experience with the dock it's quite buggy.

I've the "KDE community edition" pinephone and, with Manjaro, the dock worked only the first time i plugged it.

I've tried with Mobian and now the dock works only when positioned "upside down"
(meaning that the icons on the dock are towards my desk's surface).
This suggest to me that it's an hardware problem, some internal joint or cable in the dock is "detaching".
But this does not explain why with Manjaro does not work at all.
Take a good look at both charging cable and dock, you'll notice that the charging cable has a longer plug. If you are having trouble connecting the dock, try doing so with the backplate removed. If you find that it now works perfectly, you may need a port extender like this: https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Cellular...B07MBWH7QG

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 358 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,350 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 1 470 12-28-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,433 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,161 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 741 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,511 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,152 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,003 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 10 8,751 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: kbm