Would you like to see and buy the 2.2 revision?
Yes, please!
91.67%
No, thank you
8.33%
60 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes
Pi and RK3399 have comparable lithography sizes at 28nm each so what works for one, works for the other i.e. big metal sheet :p
I would like to see the option for either a plastic only lid or an heavier aluminium bottom shell, to make the PBP more balanced.
Right now it's very uncomfortable to bring around and the weight distribution always gives the impression that you're about to drop it.

Also, since the hinge is such a critical point for structural integrity it would not hurt to either make an aluminium palm rest or make the hinge a bit softer to turn.

I'd gladly pay the extra price for a better and more durable aluminium chassis.
Ok, I will add some of my wishes as well, not in any particular order of importance.

1. The Type-C charger should accept higher voltage from PD or QC for faster charging and more running power.
  2. Barrel jack is not needed at all, I don't use it because almost everything else I have uses USB charging.
  3. The headphone jack I am not sure about, currently I have it switched to serial mode and I never need headphones, and if I do I can use a dongle or Bluetooth. But if the switch would be more accessible, then sure I wouldn't mind it.
  4. The other privacy switches should also be physical, I have never used the keyboard controlled switches. Something line the PinePhone, I mean.
  5. The USB system itself has some PWM whine when you plug in devices or cables.
  6. The speakers have similar noise when playing audio, also pops when audio starts playing.
  7. The speakers have reverse polarity, so "Invert R" or "L" has to be selected in alsamixer always but switched off when plugging in headphones. (You may not notice this because distros include a script to do it automatically)
  8. The speakers should be flipped to fire upwards, also maybe better speakers as well or better EQ.
  9. Power key should be moved to a button off the keyboard, the key should become the Delete key. Or maybe Fn+F10 or something like the Pi400.
  10. Rubber adhesive feet tend to come loose. I have a roll of double-sided tape in my laptop bag to stick them on but it's ridiculous to have to be so careful to not move the computer on a desk too hard.
  11. WiFi signal is too weak, is it the antenna or the adapter, but it is in some situations unusable and I have to tether to my phone or something.
  12. Would be nice to get the unused USB 2.0 ports available either inside the case or outside.
  13. Cooling solution could be improved, I think the thermal interface between the case and the SoC could be a bigger heatsink rather than the heat conducting pad that it currently uses, also the power chip needs cooling especially if higher power is available from USB.
  14. I don't think a fan is necessary, it's possible to use one of those laptop coolers or I have used also those cold packs for sore joints that go in the freezer (don't recall what they are actually called).
  15. The screen could open a bit more and the case in general could be a bit more solid, but I do like how light it is currently.
  16. Charging led is hard to see, have to used the my finger to reflect the light. Would be nice to see the charging led next the the power led on the top, and also duplicate power led on the side so you can see if the laptop is turned on with the case closed.
If it were me, I'd remove the USB-C port altogether. I don't use this one lest I have to, because I worry about it. I've had possibly just one barrel jack fail from extreme abuse in five decades. The only way to convince me to get rid of it would be to replace it with that new Apple connector or something like it. It is mechanically superior to small USB connectors, vastly so.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(09-11-2021, 03:46 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: If it were me, I'd remove the USB-C port altogether. I don't use this one lest I have to, because I worry about it. I've had possibly just one barrel jack fail from extreme abuse in five decades. The only way to convince me to get rid of it would be to replace it with that new Apple connector or something like it. It is mechanically superior to small USB connectors, vastly so.

The problem with barrel jacks are that they are not standard, if your charger breaks or gets lost, it is very hard to replace it. Meanwhile a generic USB charger with a Type-C cable for a tablet can be bought from even road side gas stations or just use the same charger that you already have for your phone / tablet.

I'm not sure which "new Apple plug" do you mean? Apple has been increasingly using USB Type-C on their products, even on tablets.
I can make a barrel plug. I can't make a USB plug. Barrel plugs yoostaby standard, the universal adapters still work if you can find them. Those arguments for USB-C remind me of the same arguments for mini USB-B. Everything I had, had those at one time. Now they are a nuisance. Still, a cheap USB cable isn't much use when the fragile port is broken.

What is the socket on an iPhone 12 called? It is almost as good mechanically as a barrel jack.

[ SRA accepts you ]
It is a no-brainer really, to delete the barrel power connector because it is totally redundant, USB-C does it better and the most important reason for deleting the barrel power connector is the danger (i.e. plugging barrel power and USB-C power in at the same time = kabooom! A terrible design choice).
(09-15-2021, 08:32 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I can make a barrel plug. I can't make a USB plug. Barrel plugs yoostaby standard, the universal adapters still work if you can find them. Those arguments for USB-C remind me of the same arguments for mini USB-B. Everything I had, had those at one time. Now they are a nuisance. Still, a cheap USB cable isn't much use when the fragile port is broken.

The only barrel plug I've noticed that is kind of standard is the one they use on Routers / modems that is 12V, the same one works on my synthesizers as well.

For laptops, they are almost always different, even from the same manufacturer you're not guaranteed to get compatible chargers. The situation would be laughable if it weren't so frustrating.

The barrel plugs have different dimensions, voltages and sometimes the polarity can be different which can be catastophic.

(09-15-2021, 08:32 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: What is the socket on an iPhone 12 called? It is almost as good mechanically as a barrel jack.

The Lightning connector seems to be on its way out, the latest iPads even are starting to switch. While I don't mind it currently, I'm gladly looking forward to the day when I can take the Apple specific cables out of my kit. It's also limited to USB 2.0 and doesn't offer display output. Probably also has some license cost.

Also deleting the barrel connector means that Pine64 doesn't have to ship the charger which has an additional complication because of the region. This is how my PinePhone came, actually, no charger, only a USB Type-C cable.
Somehow we survived using them all those decades until someone wanted to make more money. The next USB connector might be in use half as long before it's obsolete.

If you don't like your barrel jack, fill it in with epoxy. I guess I can still install one when it's gone. Wouldn't be the first time.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(09-19-2021, 07:28 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Somehow we survived using them all those decades until someone wanted to make more money.  The next USB connector might be in use half as long before it's obsolete.

If you don't like your barrel jack, fill it in with epoxy.  I guess I can still install one when it's gone.  Wouldn't be the first time.

They were already making ridiculous money by releasing all kind of different sizes, voltages and currents with the barrel chargers, and charging people way too much money when they needed to replace their chargers.

When a USB-C charger dies, you can get a replacement very cheap and there is only a minute risk that it isn't compatible.
Perhaps one exception, trying to charge a laptop with a cheap phone charger.
For me it was a joy, in I think 2015, to get the HP Spectre X2 laptop with a USB-C charger, and soon after I got the LG G5 phone and I no longer had to worry about my phone charger, as the HP charger worked just fine with the LG phone.
And now I even have an electric shaver with a USB-C charging port.

We don't know how long USB-C will stay the dominant connector, but judging from the life span of USB-A, I'm willing to bet at least 10 more years.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Hardware names_mark_ 1 125 04-23-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 2 529 04-09-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 331 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 275 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 259 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 609 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 1,077 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 130,031 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,951 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,999 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe