Librem 5 (finally) shipping
(12-03-2020, 07:40 AM)as400 Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 07:31 AM)fsflover Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 07:18 AM)as400 Wrote: In my view - unless we have entirely open firmware for the modem there is no way PinePhone may be called privacy focused device.

Modems based on free software do not exist. Separating them via well defined interfaces, adding killswitches and removing their access to RAM significantly improves privacy though (which is what Pinephone and Librem 5 do).

[R]ight. But still - those are just workarounds, aren't they ? Not a clean foss solution.

From what I could gather, the cellular modem landscape is a patent-ridden minefield, making a FOSS cellular modem nothing but a pipe dream. The current approach of shoving the modem behind a USB and adding a hardware killswitch is the best privacy we can get out of those things. Sucks but it is what it is.

And in all honesty, pocket computing (or mobile computing in general, i.e. laptops) is somewhat neglected in the FOSS world, with everybody's focus being servers and desktops/workstations at best. We should use the PinePhone (and Librem 5) as a pioneer device for which the mobile software stack is developed, breaking the "no SW means no HW, which means no SW" chicken-and-egg scenario (which is, after all, the purpose of the PP), before looking at improving the privacy. For the time being, it's Good Enough. Wink
@marcih - sure. Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not lamenting. What we have now is much better than having nothing.
But putting it behind the USB gave us a very "problematic" and up to now abolutely unusable modem solutions for RELIABLY getting incoming calls and SMS

Up to now - many builds tested - It is better to take the PP only as an backup or testing phone with You. If You need to receive incoming calls properly and reliably... Take another phone as main!
(12-04-2020, 01:07 AM)as400 Wrote: [S]ure. Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not lamenting. What we have now is much better than having nothing.
No worries, I get you, I was just adding to the conversation. Smile

(12-04-2020, 04:30 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: But putting it behind the USB gave us a very "problematic" and up to now abolutely unusable modem solutions for RELIABLY getting incoming calls and SMS

Up to now - many builds tested - It is better to take the PP only as an backup or testing phone with You. If You need to receive incoming calls properly and reliably... Take another phone as main!
Do we know it's because it's on the USB? If so, L5 should be having similar issues but I'm not aware of anyone saying so. From what I could gather, the issues are because Quectel's modem firmware is so spectacularly bad and doesn't behave how it should, or rather what the devs expect according to what Quectel's documentation says.
There are problems with waking up modem from sleep/power saving mode.

I tried some usbcore settings but it didn't help tbh. Although there are some good news:

1. There is new modemmanager and it has a patch for waking up modem sooner when there is incoming call.
2. I heard that some dev has discovered that sometimes, when modem wakes, the current on usb bus comes down to 100 mA which causes modem not to wake properly. So probably - if it's not hw problem - the solution is close.
(12-04-2020, 06:22 AM)as400 Wrote: There are problems with waking up modem from sleep/power saving mode.

I tried some usbcore settings but it didn't help tbh. Although there are some good news:

1. There is new modemmanager and it has a patch for waking up modem sooner when there is incoming call.
2. I heard that some dev has discovered that sometimes, when modem wakes, the current on usb bus comes down to 100 mA which causes modem not to wake properly. So probably - if it's not hw problem - the solution is close.
I wasn't aware, thanks for the heads-up! Have you got a link to the ModemManager MR regarding the patch?
@marcih

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...quests/408

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...issues/194
@as400 Cheers, subscribing to issue #194.
Review: Librem 5 Evergreen vs. Pinephone

https://thatgeoguy.ca/blog/2020/12/06/Li...Pinephone/
This reviewer's unrelenting disappointment is refreshingly honest - and unintentionally funny Wink

Librem 5: Production Evergreen Model Impression

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping stuck on creating label, tracking complaints wizardofthemodem 3 244 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: zvand
  Pinephone Beta shipping to India sagaracharya 0 101 04-30-2021, 11:57 AM
Last Post: sagaracharya
  Shipping to Russia in 2021 cyberpunk_on_pinephone 3 572 04-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Last Post: dron1885
  Pinephone UBPorts available. just cover shipping and make me the best offer stozi 3 724 03-20-2021, 11:35 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  Nightmare shipping of the PinePhone Peter Gamma 11 1,494 02-11-2021, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
Big Grin Is the latest PinePhone CE that is shipping now a semi-stable device ? kern707 21 4,790 11-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  No shipping option to U.S.? Zebulon Walton 2 1,338 10-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Shipping to Turkey the-edev 2 1,352 10-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No Shipping to Miami? leosk06 3 913 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Last Post: leosk06
  Not shipping to Sri Lanka chandi 0 497 09-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Last Post: chandi