Manjaro update process / state on the PinePhone Manjaro CE
Question 
Hello to all,

I have recently received one of the latest delivered PinePhone CE devices pre-installed with Manjaro / Phosh.

I am completely new to the PinePhone, and also to Manjaro :-) and I was wondering, how can I verify if my device is currently running on the latest stable release of Manjaro?

I have seen the "Software" app, where there is an "Updates" tab, there I could initially (after first using the PinePhone out of the box) find some updates and install them (one update was related to a system update - not sure if that means an update of Manjaro it self?)

How is the OS update process is being done with Manjaro on the PinePhone, via the "Software" app's "Updates" functionality ? or do I need to manually invoke it via terminal using some commands?

Right now when going to "Software", under the "Updates" tab and refreshing, I am getting the message that all of my software is up-to-date, does that also cover the Manjaro distro it self?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
(11-11-2020, 03:48 AM)kern707 Wrote: Hello to all,

I am completely new to the PinePhone, and also to Manjaro :-) and I was wondering, how can I verify if my device is currently running on the latest stable release of Manjaro?

I have seen the "Software" app, where there is an "Updates" tab, there I could initially (after first using the PinePhone out of the box) find some updates and install them (one update was related to a system update - not sure if that means an update of Manjaro it self?)

How is the OS update process is being done with Manjaro on the PinePhone, via the "Software" app's "Updates" functionality ? or do I need to manually invoke it via terminal using some commands?

Right now when going to "Software", under the "Updates" tab and refreshing, I am getting the message that all of my software is up-to-date, does that also cover the Manjaro distro it self?

Thanks in advanced.
Manjaro for Pinephone is on the unstable branch if i recall (at least for Lomiri and Plasma builds) so packages will be 'newer' than stable - thus up to date. You can change to another branch but i wouldn't do that yet until the developers say to. There are patches making things work not yet in stable. Manjaro Phosh could be on stable. Manjaro and Arch are rolling releases. If there's nothing new in updates, then you have the latest.

Manjaro and Arch use pacman as a package manager. Pamac is the graphical front end for it. You can install mainline packages directly via using pacman from the terminal. For instance: sudo pacman -S anbox   to install anbox. Don't forget to install the anbox image as well to run android apps.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...g_Branches
You can follow the process of the development here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/36766
(11-11-2020, 05:07 AM)threepwood Wrote: You can follow the process of the development here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/36766
This is great - thank you!

(11-11-2020, 05:04 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 03:48 AM)kern707 Wrote: Hello to all,

Thanks in advanced.
Manjaro for Pinephone is on the unstable branch if i recall (at least for Lomiri and Plasma builds) so packages will be 'newer' than stable - thus up to date. You can change to another branch but i wouldn't do that yet until the developers say to. There are patches making things work not yet in stable. Manjaro Phosh could be on stable. Manjaro and Arch are rolling releases. If there's nothing new in updates, then you have the latest.

Manjaro and Arch use pacman as a package manager. Pamac is the graphical front end for it. You can install mainline packages directly via using pacman from the terminal. For instance: sudo pacman -S anbox   to install anbox. Don't forget to install the anbox image as well to run android apps.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...g_Branches

Thank you for the info, the device I have got have Manjaro with Phosh (a combination which I already like)

So in general: when the "Updates" tab in the "Software" app shows that all is up-to-date, it means theoretically that my installed Manjaro distro and Phosh are also up to date (at least for the mainstream release)?

Then the "Software" app does invoke the said updates? (Meaning- not only updating of installed app, but also updating of the OS and phone shell), that is sweet!
At least you don't have to regularly type 'apt update && apt upgrade', or their equivalent pacman commands in this case, all the time. Big Grin
Web Developer, Drone Pilot, Recumbent Cycling Enthusiast
https://jimmpratt.me
(11-13-2020, 07:00 PM)digitalmouse Wrote: At least you don't have to regularly type 'apt update && apt upgrade', or their equivalent pacman commands in this case, all the time.  Big Grin

Lol, but still have to type those commands quite a lot on the server and desktop environments at home and work though  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  systemic issue pinephone penguins_rule 3 364 04-02-2024, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  link for supported pinephone os manjharo et all penguins_rule 2 202 03-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Using too much juice since last update Eugo 20 3,518 03-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  recent update Uturn 14 1,767 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 574 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,389 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,562 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,759 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 795 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Latest update Eugo 21 8,218 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo