Are there any plans for a Pinephone which is based for instance on a Intel processor?
There is data analysis sotware which runs under Linux, but do not run on a ARM based processors. Matlab and Bitalino Open Signals are examples for this. Are there any plans for a Pinephone which is based for instance on a Intel processor?
my educated guess would be a no, since Pine64's entire business model is creating accessible computing using ARM
No, and I doubt there ever will be. ARM is much better for power usage sensitive applications like a phone, x86 processors generally guzzle power by comparison, even a weak, embedded one like an Intel Atom. Also, Intel and AMD CPUs are *far* more expensive than ARM solutions. It would probably nearly double the cost of the PinePhone.
That s a pitty. I m looking for a mobile device which can run EEGLAB. EEGLAB is a Matlab toolbox, but there is also a compiled version available which runs without Matlab. But I suppose it also requires 4 GB RAM and 64 bit Windows or Linux, as Matlab requires. Who wants to carry arround a Notebook 24h 7d?

The only mobile solution I could find is a Mini PC sticks with Intel Cherry Trail x5-z8350, MeeGoPad T7 with 4 GB Ram and Windows 64 bit. It is not possible to build a mobile phone which uses this processor?
(07-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Peter Gamma Wrote: But I suppose it also requires 4 GB RAM and 64 bit Windows or Linux, as Matlab requires. Who wants to carry arround a Notebook 24h 7d?
A GPD MicroPC might fit your specs. Doesn't have a built in modem though.
(07-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Peter Gamma Wrote: That s a pitty. I m looking for a mobile device which can run EEGLAB. EEGLAB is a Matlab toolbox, but there is also a compiled version available which runs without Matlab. But I suppose it also requires 4 GB RAM and 64 bit Windows or Linux, as Matlab requires. Who wants to carry arround a Notebook 24h 7d?

The only mobile solution I could find is a Mini PC sticks with Intel Cherry Trail x5-z8350, MeeGoPad T7 with 4 GB Ram and Windows 64 bit. It is not possible to build a mobile phone which uses this processor?
Asus used Z series Atoms in the first 2 generations of Zenphone before reverting to ARM - mostly Qualcom with the odd Mediatek. The only one to have 4GB was a special edition of one model, and it ran the wrong OS for what you want. It's clearly possible, but apparently not competitive, and that's for a company with extensive experience making x86 hardware.

You could try EEGLAB on Octave: https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Running_EEGLAB_on_Octave
Thanks for the hint. 6 to 8 hours battery life is quiet good. But the device is expensive. Maybe I build a device with a Megopad T8. They are quiet cheap.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/327508409...web201603_

But a cooling fan is recommended, and as far as I know they need a battery of the size of a car battery.

EEGLAB is the EEG software with the most citations and is very well documented. Many things which can be done with Matlab can also be done with Python. But EEGLab has no plans for a Python version

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/EEGLAB_and_python

EELAB has many features, but there are also other EEG software avaiilable. The hint with Octane is very helpful, wibble, if this works on the Pinephone then It would be great.
But even though EEGLAB might run on Octave and therefore on the Pinephone, EEGLAB was programmed in MATLAB, and eventually still has the system requirements of MATLAB. This needs to be tested.
For EEGALB  4  GB RAM is required

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/EEGLAB_hardwa...mendations

The Pinephone has only 3 GB maximal.
It says nothing in the EEGLAB requirement about an Intel processor. Give 4 GB RAM to the next Pinephone, and there is a chance that EEGLAB runs on it. For ANT+ and BLE energy sensors, the Pinephone is already a very attractive device, and it can become even more attractive when data analysis software for all kinds of physiological sensors can run on it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 691 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,005 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 622 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 241 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,603 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 54,712 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,301 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 891 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,828 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,315 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot