Cannot unlock pinephone
This is embarrassing to relate, but when my new pinephone arrived today I entered a numeric passcode when prompted in setup.  A short time later I changed my password from the CLI to something with letters in it.

Now, at the lockscreen I am prompted with a numeric keypad, but - as my password is not simply numeric - I cannot unlock.

I have not been able to access the phone via ssh (I am not sure of the IP address), and UBports installer does not recognize the phone when I plug it into my computers USB port.  I can access the phone via telnet ($ telnet 172.16.42.1) but from that interface I cannot do much ("sudo: not found", "su: not found", "passwd: not found", etc.) and so cannot change my login password.

My next plan is to try and boot from an SD card.  But if anyone has advice on how to access the phone to change the password (I know what the login password is I am just unable to type it at the lockscreen!), or to wipe and restore to factory presets without logging in, that seems much easier.

Many thanks!
(07-23-2020, 03:05 PM)hb. Wrote: This is embarrassing to relate, but when my new pinephone arrived today I entered a numeric passcode when prompted in setup.  A short time later I changed my password from the CLI to something with letters in it.

Now, at the lockscreen I am prompted with a numeric keypad, but - as my password is not simply numeric - I cannot unlock.

I have not been able to access the phone via ssh (I am not sure of the IP address), and UBports installer does not recognize the phone when I plug it into my computers USB port.  I can access the phone via telnet ($ telnet 172.16.42.1) but from that interface I cannot do much ("sudo: not found", "su: not found", "passwd: not found", etc.) and so cannot change my login password.

My next plan is to try and boot from an SD card.  But if anyone has advice on how to access the phone to change the password (I know what the login password is I am just unable to type it at the lockscreen!), or to wipe and restore to factory presets without logging in, that seems much easier.

Many thanks!

You can using the factory test OS to reprogram eMMC back to factory default state. Here is the link: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...ry_Test_OS
(07-23-2020, 03:05 PM)hb. Wrote: This is embarrassing to relate, but when my new pinephone arrived today I entered a numeric passcode when prompted in setup.  A short time later I changed my password from the CLI to something with letters in it.

Many thanks!
Try /sbin/su instead, the shell might not have the path set correctly, as minimalist shells often don't.

Many thanks!
This happened before, please see:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...ght=locked

To run ssh, you first need to start ssh server on the phone (which if you haven't done before being locked, now is too late?)
If you did and generated public key, then do: phablet@<IP> -p22
some extra info: http://docs.ubports.com/en/latest/usergu...e/ssh.html
Thanks to all who replied! I am currently in the midst of a move and have back-burnered this for the time being but will give these suggestions a try soon and let you know what worked.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 787 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,653 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 702 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,789 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,865 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,534 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,156 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 17,360 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  "No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone professorsnapper 6 7,801 10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Last Post: htc_tattoo
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,470 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough