Pinephone charging issues after fully depleting battery.
I left my pinephone out for a day on standby and now I am unable to charge the battery through the device. I doubt that running the battery completely dead one time would kill it. Has anyone seen this before? Is there someway to make the device begin charging?

My OS still boots when plugged in.
Yes, I have removed the plastic tab from the battery.

UPDATE: Forgot to tell you, ubports suggested it was fully charged. PureOS appears to be charging only time will tell.
It shouldn't be a problem, but may depend on OS and charger. It has worked for me in PmOS and Mobian with the charger from a Nexus 5X.
(07-01-2020, 12:37 PM)plainenough Wrote: I left my pinephone out for a day on standby and now I am unable to charge the battery through the device. I doubt that running the battery completely dead one time would kill it. Has anyone seen this before? Is there someway to make the device begin charging?

My OS still boots when plugged in.
Yes, I have removed the plastic tab from the battery.

UPDATE: Forgot to tell you, ubports suggested it was fully charged.  PureOS appears to be charging only time will tell.

Some updates back, when my phone got run down to 0% charge, it appeared to not be charging,
  .......   then it was charging at .02 watts
for a long time..
 But when it got to a few percent charge it finally started charging properly again.
  I am not certain if that was hardware or software 
IT has went to 0% one time since,  but it seems to charge OK now.

The nature of working with Beta  operating systems 'I guess'  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Quote:Some updates back, when my phone got run down to 0% charge, it appeared to not be charging,
  .......   then it was charging at .02 watts
for a long time..
 But when it got to a few percent charge it finally started charging properly again.
  I am not certain if that was hardware or software 
IT has went to 0% one time since,  but it seems to charge OK now.

The nature of working with Beta  operating systems 'I guess'  ?
That sounds normal. If the battery gets near completely flat, it will take a while of charging at a very low current to get it to a level it's safe to kick on the full charging current. There's a small hardware defect where the phone slowly drains battery when turned off, so if you're gonna store it, take out the battery first.
Sorry for the late reply, I booted from pureos and it charged normally.
*  I ordered the external battery charger today,

So I can charge the battery regardless of any other factors,  hardware, software issues.

The $11.99 shipping is not cheap,    so I bought a  'bunch of stuff'  and the shipping charge did not go up.

Big Grin

LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-01-2020, 12:46 PM)wibble Wrote: It shouldn't be a problem, but may depend on OS and charger. It has worked for me in PmOS and Mobian with the charger from a Nexus 5X.

(07-15-2020, 05:54 PM)bcnaz Wrote: *  I ordered the external battery charger today,

So I can charge the battery regardless of any other factors,  hardware, software issues.

The $11.99 shipping is not cheap,    so I bought a  'bunch of stuff'  and the shipping charge did not go up.

Big Grin

I would love to get an external charger and an extra battery. Do you have a link, I have looked with little success.

I just noticed the section for pinephone spare parts.
I Guess I forgot to mention I was shopping at the Pine64 store, sorry.

The replacement batteries were listed as 'out of stock' or I would have bought one of those also.
Some of the items, such as the replacement back cover are a limit of one per customer.
I do not remember if they have a limit on batteries, just that they did not have them.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I've noticed the battery drain when off issue on Braveheart. If it has been identified as hardware related have any distros implemented a software fix or is it an issue we're stuck with?
(07-18-2020, 07:37 AM)brb78 Wrote: I've noticed the battery drain when off issue on Braveheart. If it has been identified as hardware related have any distros implemented a software fix or is it an issue we're stuck with?

You can curtail the drain by killing the modem and replacing (ejecting, then inserting) the battery. The battery will experience nominal drain unless you eject it from the phone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 733 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,032 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 650 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 272 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 491 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,658 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 55,014 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,334 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 919 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,914 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali