slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Pinebook Pro RK3399 (aarch64)
Awesome slaction on the PBP!  I must have an older slarm image (got it off of lq), cause I noticed the xorg error, and installed libwacom, after which runlevel 4 was no longer froze up.  When your image boots, r8188eu loads and wlan0 is found.  dmesg | grep hci  revealed that the firmware patch for bcm4345 was found!

Your image wouldn't decrypt luks container, and cryptsetup wasn't included.  I installed cryptsetup.  I got the config from /proc/config.gz, and used it to recompile your kernel, changing only DM_CRYPT from module to built-in, as Pat instructs near end of his README_CRYPT. 

The resultant Image was able to decrypt luks container, except that the prompt for the key happens before the screen activates, so the key has to be blindly typed.  I had to edit your awesome rebuild-initrd.sh and add the -C /dev/mmcblk2p2, to tell it about the Crypted Container, and then run your awesome srcript which packaged the new initrd into a uInitrd.  Thanks!!!

In fact, I repartitioned /dev/mmcblk2 (internal drive) with GPT, and gave it 512M linux partition starting at 32768, and a second partition of type linux lvm occupying the remaining space.  The first partition is unencrypted and mounted at /boot, and the lvm partition has the luks wrapper, that once the key is entered, becomes the volumes for root file system and swap. 

I did this because I could not find example of uEnv.txt with initrd specified, but I could find example of extlinux.conf with initrd specified.  So on that /boot partition, I make extlinux directory and inside that the extlinux.conf file, that looks like
Quote:label kernel-5.9.9
  kernel /Image
  initrd /uInitrd
  fdt /rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb
  append earlycon=uart8250,mmio,0xff1a0000 console=ttyS2,1500000n8 root=LABEL=rootfilesystemzlabel rootwait rootfstype=ext4 rw init=/sbin/init resume=/dev/blackholez/swap panic=10 coherent_pool=1M ethaddr=${ethaddr} eth1addr=${eth1addr} serial=${serial#} cgroup_enable=cpuset cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1 zswap.enabled=1 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 loglevel=3 vga=current  

I got that append from arwen's debian config somewhere around here... When I made my root file system, I used the -O 64bit flat to mkfs.ext4 as well as the flag to give the file system a label, -L rootfilesystemzlabel.  Everywhere root file sytem is needed, like in fstab and on kernel comman line, I specify it with the LABEL=rootfilesystemzlabel.  IMHO, easier than by UUID and more specific than by /dev/path..

Once slarm64 boots using this new kernel with luks+lvm, I can log in, but it doesn't automatically insert r8188eu, and I have to modprobe it before wlan0 is found.  The bluetooth firmware patch is not found.  I don't have sound (but maybe that's because right now the headphone port is set to uArt serial, with the switch on the inside).

I have to disable the touchpad to type, because I'm not a perfect typist and sometime my palms rest on the device, near the trackpad, causing it to respond with unfavorable cursor jumping.  It's like that with most linux devices with trackpads below the keyboards, so I'm used to it.  I usually just leave it disabled and use a usb mouse.  

So I am making progress with driveable pinebook pro with full disk encryption.  I want to connect to my VPN, and don't want the keys and certificates to the VPN  be readable should pinebook get lost or stolen.   I need that luks to be daily driver. 

I worry that luks puts too many reads and writes for the type of "microsd" card media, and may cause it to fail sooner.

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:

Does anyone know of any kernel modules that could be included in the ramdisk or modifications to the append line that would get the screen activated before the prompt to enter the luks key, so that the prompt is visible?

How do you get the bluetooth firmware patch?  I tried the source with the 5.9.9 slarm image as well as the kernel source from the manjaro tree, but the bluetooth, and internal wlan0 are not discovered.  (an external usb wifi module is discovered though). 

Did I miss a kernel option for Pinebook Pro?

Suspend to Ram does not work.

But overall the pinebook pro is snappier than I thought, and even compiles kernel in under 3 hours!   I want to get passed configurations and on to using it. 

Cheers Pinebook Slackers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Pinebook Pro RK3399 (aarch64) - by globaltree - 12-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,043 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,616 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,157 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,233 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,036 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,249 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,285 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,487 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,593 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 665 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap