RockPro64 eMMC boot
First tries with my new RockPro64.

Flashed Manjaro ARM 20.06 on an SD card and ayufan's latest stable release bionic-minimal-rockpro64-0.9.14-1159-armhf on another SD card.
Both of them work just fine.

While in Manjaro, I flashed the same Manjaro image to eMMC, which Linux sees as /dev/mmcblk1.
Shutdown, removed SD card and reboot.
The board does not boot from eMMC.
It boots fine from Manjaro SD card when eMMC module is present.

Tried the same thing in Bionic, flashing the same Bionic image to eMMC.
Again the board does not boot from eMMC, but boots all right from Bionic SD card with the eMMC module present.

Then I flashed the SPI using the instructions from https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...ash-spi.md with the latest release of flash_spi.img.
The eMMC module was removed during the SPI flashing process.
Same result, the board still does not boot from eMMC.

Last thing I flashed the SPI again using the instructions from https://github.com/sigmaris/u-boot/wiki/...oot-to-SPI.
This did not help either: boot from eMMC is not happening, while boot works like a charm from any SD with the eMMC present.

SW4 is open (no jumper).

What am I doing wrong?
How do I get the board to boot from eMMC?
(06-27-2020, 10:51 PM)Rockpro64 have many issues booting on emmc. No one will admit it. Everything on uboot or kernel over 4 will not boot. Tried on my side as you Manjaro, Armbian. Tried on two different devices and 3 different emmc. If anyone is confirming that he can make it boot on emmc I call for detailed proofs of all the process on video Wrote: First tries with my new RockPro64.

Flashed Manjaro ARM 20.06 on an SD card and ayufan's latest stable release bionic-minimal-rockpro64-0.9.14-1159-armhf on another SD card.
Both of them work just fine.

While in Manjaro, I flashed the same Manjaro image to eMMC, which Linux sees as /dev/mmcblk1.
Shutdown, removed SD card and reboot.
The board does not boot from eMMC.
It boots fine from Manjaro SD card when eMMC module is present.

Tried the same thing in Bionic, flashing the same Bionic image to eMMC.
Again the board does not boot from eMMC, but boots all right from Bionic SD card with the eMMC module present.

Then I flashed the SPI using the instructions from https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...ash-spi.md with the latest release of flash_spi.img.
The eMMC module was removed during the SPI flashing process.
Same result, the board still does not boot from eMMC.

Last thing I flashed the SPI again using the instructions from https://github.com/sigmaris/u-boot/wiki/...oot-to-SPI.
This did not help either: boot from eMMC is not happening, while boot works like a charm from any SD with the eMMC present.

SW4 is open (no jumper).

What am I doing wrong?
How do I get the board to boot from eMMC?
And it seems that nobody is interested about booting from emmc.
Probably everybody is booting now from NVME SSD, so nobody cares!
Temporary success by combining sigmaris' instructions with ayufan's bionic-mate-rockpro64-0.9.14-1159-armhf, which is the latest stable release.
Initial boot from emmc, but fails again after updating the system, even after dd u-boot with seek=64 and seek=16384.

Gave up trying to boot from emmc.
PCIe NVMe boots fine and is impressively fast, although no other release works after that mentioned above, nor any other kernel.

Next step: installing gentoo 64-bit kernel and userland.
What complicates the eMMC issue is the mix of lucky and unlucky eMMC.
I'm not sure how much it is, but at least in my own eMMC, both exist.

For example, if you look at the thread of pinbookpro, there are many writing that seems to have similar symptoms.
For those who only own the lucky eMMC,
What doesn't work is advice from the perspective of "there's a problem with that person's operation". That's unavoidable.
(In fact, there is no objection that there will be many such cases...)
Therefore, the problem is not easily solved.

Since the problem is in the kernel's eMMC driver, my conclusion is that it must be corrected.
If you can kernel-build, try changing "CQE" to "Disable" completely.

In my case, I improved it so that it can be started even with an unlucky eMMC that did not work at all.
The eMMC I own is
  A) Unlucky eMMC:
      Booting from all devices is impossible just by installing the eMMC
  B) Lucky eMMC:
      It can be booted correctly without any additional work.

I can't tell if everything is the same as my case, but this trend existed even with old kernel-4.xx.

Of course, the bad thing is the kernel-driver that cannot absorb individual differences of eMMC, and I do not think that eMMC itself is bad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 151 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
  Can i use this Emmc for Rockpro 64 Supratec 2 560 12-20-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wdt
  enble boot after power loss/restore dkebler 18 8,867 12-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: ok38
  Mainline U-Boot with SPI, NVMe and SATA boot support sigmaris 108 115,949 09-25-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: ChriChri
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 659 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
Bug Broken boot: What am I missing? mkosarek 1 596 09-08-2023, 08:14 AM
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 619 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,047 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  no boot white led flashing moserwi 7 4,056 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 827 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro