Silly question: What is the new ANX demo image?
Question 
I saw a phosh anx and plasma mr1235 demo image on the PmOS site. I didn't mess with the mr1235 one, cause I prefer phosh, but I tried the phosh anx images. It worked like a lot of the previous post-March phosh images haven't for me, but it has no network in it. Even rfkill only showed bluetooth.

What does the anx version do differently? Or is it a version made for someone specifically? Or is it something really obvious and I'm being stupid?

Thanks for anyone who can scratch this curiosity itch!
It's a build with a different kernel that has a WIP driver for the anx7688 usb-c controller but doesn't have all other functionality enabled, it's not useful for general use.
(06-18-2020, 06:40 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: It's a build with a different kernel that has a WIP driver for the anx7688 usb-c controller but doesn't have all other functionality enabled, it's not useful for general use.

Thanks, I was really curious since I've been playing with it. While I got you, is there a file I can mess with to change the minimum brightness setting in PmOS? Cause the auto brightness pulls down to black screen a lot until I got into the settings to turn it off, but I like the feature, and the screen being dim, but it's hard to keep it from going black.
yeah I've noticed this issue, I'm looking into a fix. the current brightness is set in the kernel dtb so not easy to manually change. main issue is that autobrightness is behaving very broken.
(06-19-2020, 08:20 AM)MartijnBraam Wrote: yeah I've noticed this issue, I'm looking into a fix. the current brightness is set in the kernel dtb so not easy to manually change. main issue is that autobrightness is behaving very broken.

Yea, it definitely seemed a little all over the place, but I figured it would get fixed after a little bit anyway.

I just want to get the manual brightness slider under control so that the user experience for people getting the PmOS version of PP don't accidentally black their screens with no clue how to fix it. However, I'm also hoping that you dont go as conservative as mobian and a few others seem to. I like my screen DARK, and I dont know where the voltage cut off is, but I like that I can get my screen very low with the current bar, I just have to be careful not to go too far...

Hopefully I can keep learning enough to be able to just submit some code for you all at some point, but I'm still pretty new to coding for hardware.
The issue is that brightness is not linear, and some slight manufacturing difference like the specific voltage drop of the leds will cause the point where the screen cuts off to be on different values, due to the nonlinearity of it it also means that the "dark" levels are very close together, so giving the cut-off point some margin for manufacturing differences will mean that for some people the lowest brightness setting is way brighter.
(06-19-2020, 12:40 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: The issue is that brightness is not linear, and some slight manufacturing difference like the specific voltage drop of the leds will cause the point where the screen cuts off to be on different values, due to the nonlinearity of it it also means that the "dark" levels are very close together, so giving the cut-off point some margin for manufacturing differences will mean that for some people the lowest brightness setting is way brighter.

Understandable, guess I just won the silicon lottery then. Screen too efficient to make it dark and memory too slow to run any of the speed increases everyone tried.

Cant complain too much though, I was one of the first batch of PP's in the US.

Thanks for the knowledge and the hard work. Might have to try the silicon lotto again on a PmOS version of PP in July.
your display can definetly be as dark as any other phone, it's just that the current pmos config is calibrated to my specific braveheart and that causes issues for some people, we still need to figure out how to do some sort of calibration for that.
(06-19-2020, 04:21 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: your display can definetly be as dark as any other phone, it's just that the current pmos config is calibrated to my specific braveheart and that causes issues for some people, we still need to figure out how to do some sort of calibration for that.

Could you build a brightness test that runs on a timer? It could be a button in the settings, like "Set Minimum Brightness". Could start at full brightness (or lower to save time) and just reduce by 5-10% or so (dont know the voltage scale for the screen) and just pop up asking if you can still see the screen. If the user clicks yes, go down again, if no, it times out, saves the last state and sets it to the bottom possible value on the brightness scale.

That should allow for people to retest if they get a new screen or mess up, but also be variable for everyone with a new screen. But that's just me spitballing, feel free to ignore.

I'd build it myself to try to show an example, but I still dont even know how to set a minimum brightness...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Security/Musl Question publiclewdness 1 2,026 08-21-2021, 12:38 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,536 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,479 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Cricket Wireless HD voice question Hobbes42 3 4,018 02-01-2021, 03:53 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Is a Software update the same as instaling an updated image Word5 1 2,851 09-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jmorris
  Incorrect Passphrase - FIx | How To Reinstall Image. NobodyNew1 0 2,086 09-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Last Post: NobodyNew1
  sxmo image Verizon calls and SMS work! Saliency 8 8,451 08-22-2020, 03:28 AM
Last Post: PureTryOut
  PostmarketOS is my favorite so far. Question about USB Switch mod of UBPorts Edition. pcdoodle 2 3,525 08-19-2020, 02:24 PM
Last Post: natasha
  Latest Installer Image hangs after updates u20200719 4 5,500 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: u20200719
  Dumb question: do I have to use pmbootstrap? quixote 5 6,796 06-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Last Post: plainenough