AT&T cutting off my LG flip phone in 30 days
Soon you will be forced to use a universal device with biometric identification instead of a SIM, don't pretend that you are unaware that we already live in 1984.
(07-28-2021, 08:31 AM)mouffa Wrote: Soon you will be forced to use a universal device with biometric identification instead of a SIM, don't pretend that you are unaware that we already live in 1984.

I have no doubt that when the implants become available the proles will be lining up for them. The only mistake Orwell made was the idea that most people would need to be forced into accepting total surveillance. However most are clamoring for it, only a relative handful of refuseniks object.

For the moment though it is still possible to limit some of it but certainly the day is coming when that will not be possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPbtwI_tnI
(06-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Others have brought out that the Pinephone is not on AT&T's whitelist and I think a few have reported being kicked off of services that use AT&T's network. So far I have not had a problem. Of course I've just been using the Pinephone for testing thus far, it's not in use every day.

This is anecdotal but I have had zero problems with the Pinephone on AT&T's network. I took the sim out of my (dead) iPhone and put it in the pinephone, set the profile and that's it (aside from normal pinephone issues like the modem firmware crashing or Gnome calls not working right or the MMS stuff.) I think the issues people are having are probably more with the prepaid plans ("AT&T go" or so) or something else.
(07-28-2021, 08:57 AM)swiley Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Others have brought out that the Pinephone is not on AT&T's whitelist and I think a few have reported being kicked off of services that use AT&T's network. So far I have not had a problem. Of course I've just been using the Pinephone for testing thus far, it's not in use every day.

This is anecdotal but I have had zero problems with the Pinephone on AT&T's network. I took the sim out of my (dead) iPhone and put it in the pinephone, set the profile and that's it (aside from normal pinephone issues like the modem firmware crashing or Gnome calls not working right or the MMS stuff.) I think the issues people are having are probably more with the prepaid plans ("AT&T go" or so) or something else.

Just in case your phone is blocked you can change easily the IMEI with a simple AT command, change it to the IMEI of a phone you don't use.
(07-28-2021, 09:05 AM)mouffa Wrote:

Just in case your phone is blocked you can change easily the IMEI with a simple AT command, change it to the IMEI of a phone you don't use.

I could be wrong but I'm reasonably certain that's a federal crime (a felony IIRC) so that's probably not something you should be recommending. If AT&t really decided to play games like that I'd just cancel my plan. Cellular is convenient but I use VOIP for communication and WiFi is ubiquitous where I live anyway.
(07-28-2021, 08:53 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 08:31 AM)mouffa Wrote: Soon you will be forced to use a universal device with biometric identification instead of a SIM, don't pretend that you are unaware that we already live in 1984.

I have no doubt that when the implants become available the proles will be lining up for them. The only mistake Orwell made was the idea that most people would need to be forced into accepting total surveillance. However most are clamoring for it, only a relative handful of refuseniks object.

For the moment though it is still possible to limit some of it but certainly the day is coming when that will not be possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPbtwI_tnI

The ancient eschatological texts recognise the fact that the vast majority of the people will just happily accept the dystopia through their completely broken psyche through the material progress.

In modern dystopias the writers used to skip the part of how the dystopia would emerge, maybe just implying that at some point people were forced by violence.

The most recent dystopias like the films "Equilibrium" or "Island" show clearly that people were misled by some kind of catastrophic scenario.

Only the ancient texts got the point that you should firstly pave the way with material abundance and technical progress.

(07-28-2021, 09:11 AM)swiley Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 09:05 AM)mouffa Wrote:

I could be wrong but I'm reasonably certain that's a federal crime (a felony IIRC) so that's probably not something you should be recommending. If AT&t really decided to play games like that I'd just cancel my plan. Cellular is convenient but I use VOIP for communication and WiFi is ubiquitous where I live anyway.

At this point anything can be considered a crime or become a crime suddenly by some kind of express overnight legislation, I just describe the capabilities of the modem.
(07-28-2021, 09:13 AM)mouffa Wrote: At this point anything can be considered a crime or become a crime suddenly by some kind of express overnight legislation, I just describe the capabilities of the modem.

As long as you can live legally you should avoid violating the law. Also encouraging people to pay AT&T to work against you will undermine your cause.
(07-28-2021, 09:19 AM)swiley Wrote: As long as you can live legally you should avoid violating the law. Also encouraging people to pay AT&T to work against you will undermine your cause.

At least in the U.S., laws and regulations are so complex and convoluted that everyone is a criminal whether they mean to be or not.  See the book "Three Felonies a Day".

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Da...1594035229

As far as AT&T goes, unfortunately they have what for me is an essential feature that no one else seems to have - "outcall notification". When someone leaves me a voice message a receive-only numeric pager is notified. This permits me to leave my phone off most of the time and I'm immediately notified if someone leaves a message. (I don't do SMS/MMS so don't care about that.) If I move to another carrier I lose that capability which I've used for nearly 30 years now. Of course that might become necessary anyway if AT&T blacklists my Pinephone. I do have instructions from elsewhere on this board for changing the IMEI:

AT+EGMR=1,7,"new IMEI"

However the status of that procedure seems to be "not known not to work" - as far as I know nobody has actually tried it and reported it to work without bricking the modem.

slightly offtopic, but i have been wondering this some time.

let it be first, i am not against technology or digital id's directly.

google and apple are planning some kind of wallet, actually storage for official identity documents like passports, national id's and driving licenses. google and apple are closed platforms, almost nobody seems to be critical of these. relying on closed and monopolistic platforms sounds like a bad idea. not only can we trust google and apple with their private for-profit motives, but are they secure enough. yet, they still could overcharge and/or bundle something unwanted, and we may not have a choice.

in short: official digital id's may not be bad idea, but in closed platforms it is.

i don't provide links, because they are mostly pro google or pro apple.
watch Rob Braxman's video on YT, "Skynet went Live June 8!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 935 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,204 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777
  new to pine phone and struggling neverdimed 8 2,654 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: neverdimed