kernel module that supports usb-c hdmi
Hi again,

I can also confirm that the behavior of this hdmi output depends also on the version of uboot. I have been playing around with at least two of them. With one of them everything works (with this old 5.7 kernel), with the other one, it worked pretty badly and even ending with this blinking green and red light.

Hope that could help…
alex
(01-17-2021, 04:04 AM)alexandre Wrote: With one of them everything works (with this old 5.7 kernel), with the other one, it worked pretty badly and even ending with this blinking green and red light.

Hi Alexandre

I also played around with USB-C video yesterday and found out that the Manjaro KDE Plasma Image is already on Kernel 5.10 (XFCE is still on 5.7).

I tried to get an USB-C dock with two external Screens working, but had no luck - the external screens are just mirrored (same behaviour as before, and same as with Manjaro XFCE and postmarketOS).

Maybe you want to give it a try as well - maybe your problem was fixed.
(01-26-2021, 01:55 AM)ludix Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 04:04 AM)alexandre Wrote: With one of them everything works (with this old 5.7 kernel), with the other one, it worked pretty badly and even ending with this blinking green and red light.

Hi Alexandre

I also played around with USB-C video yesterday and found out that the Manjaro KDE Plasma Image is already on Kernel 5.10 (XFCE is still on 5.7).

I tried to get an USB-C dock with two external Screens working, but had no luck - the external screens are just mirrored (same behaviour as before, and same as with Manjaro XFCE and postmarketOS).

Maybe you want to give it a try as well - maybe your problem was fixed.
Thanks for the state of the art in manjaro. I was planning to give it a try (i think i can just download their kernel package and pacman -U it…) but i wont if it doesn't work. That pretty strange that this old kernel of mine succeed in managing the two screens very smoothly ! I wish these guys were still maintaining their kernel…
I switched to <a herf="https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp">SvenKiljan</a> arch repo a year ago i would say. It uses the manjaro kernel and makes my usb-c hub work great (hdmi, ethernet, usb and so on…)… untill linux5.18 appears Sad With these kernel (18.0 to 18.5 i'd say) hdmi doesnt work anymore. If i downgrad to the latest 5.17 manjaro kernel, it works again.

I dont know where and what could i report in order to understand what happens…

Thanks for any advise.
alex
…does not work with 5.19 branch too…
I have been playing this kernel change game as well trying to get the usb-c to hdmi to work again after re-flashing the emmc from the original Manjaro KDE that came loaded on the PBPRO back in 2020. I decided to dump KDE recently and try out the XFCE Manjaro image. And of course that broke the hdmi out. HDMI used to work just fine with any usb-c to hdmi adpter on the Manjaro image with Kernel 5.7. Now, the current Manjaro images available on Github all come with kernel 5.18 and hdmi doesn't work. And if you update to the latest 5.19.11 is still broken.
However, there is a difference in kernel images "linux 5.18" and "linux-pinebookpro 5.7". The Manjaro repo still have the "linux-pinebookpro" image which is the 5.7 and usb-c to hdmi works, but unfortunately for me I deal with another issue related to the panel-simple/panel-edp module which makes the system boot up into a black screen at least 9 out of 10 times. So I am out of luck with Manjaro for now until they fix the usb-c to hdmi issue hopefully in kernel 6?

I've played around with other distro images as well (Armbian, TwisterOS and Kali) and found out that TwisterOS comes with kernel 5.10 and hdmi works fine. Armbian and Kali are also broken with the LTS kernel 5.15.

It would be nice to get the Manjaro team to upload the original images with kernel 5.7 to their Github page.
(10-13-2022, 10:51 PM)rfm83 Wrote: I have been playing this kernel change game as well trying to get the usb-c to hdmi to work again after re-flashing the emmc from the original Manjaro KDE that came loaded on the PBPRO back in 2020. I decided to dump KDE recently and try out the XFCE Manjaro image. And of course that broke the hdmi out. HDMI used to work just fine with any usb-c to hdmi adpter on the Manjaro image with Kernel 5.7. Now, the current Manjaro images available on Github all come with kernel 5.18 and hdmi doesn't work. And if you update to the latest 5.19.11 is still broken.
However, there is a difference in kernel images "linux 5.18" and "linux-pinebookpro 5.7". The Manjaro repo still have the "linux-pinebookpro" image which is the 5.7 and usb-c to hdmi works, but unfortunately for me I deal with another issue related to the panel-simple/panel-edp module which makes the system boot up into a black screen at least 9 out of 10 times. So I am out of luck with Manjaro for now until they fix the usb-c to hdmi issue hopefully in kernel 6?

I've played around with other distro images as well (Armbian, TwisterOS and Kali) and found out that TwisterOS comes with kernel 5.10 and hdmi works fine. Armbian and Kali are also broken with the LTS kernel 5.15.

It would be nice to get the Manjaro team to upload the original images with kernel 5.7 to their Github page.

There was something on the Phoronix website about kernel 6.4-rc<?>.  The display port driver has been integrated into the kernel (enabling HDMI) on the rockchip.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,012 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,199 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  bootloader menu to pick a kernel - what is the current situation in in early 2022? maxtothemax 4 3,023 02-05-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: maxtothemax
  Kernel panics solostian 17 13,739 01-26-2022, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Kernel 5.17 will improve VP9 support? jiyong 1 2,050 01-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  Solution for issue with 'panfrost' module not initializing due to missing dependency cobratbq 0 1,521 12-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: cobratbq
  red/green power led not working with kernel 5.14 alchemist 4 3,671 11-04-2021, 04:09 AM
Last Post: alchemist
  Sound stuttering on Manjaro gnome after latest kernel upgrade? pjsf 0 1,738 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Last Post: pjsf
  Kernel panic on boot with danielt's Debian installer hjalfi 11 10,877 07-09-2021, 08:52 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Kernel crash on Manjaro ARM mfashby 0 1,543 07-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Last Post: mfashby