Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
Well then that is as far as I can go. Thanks for the work you have put into trying to move this forward, it is much appreciated. I will continue to watch the thread and if any more testing is needed will be happy to assist.
(01-13-2021, 06:08 PM)Rey Wrote: Well then that is as far as I can go. Thanks for the work you have put into trying to move this forward, it is much appreciated. I will continue to watch the thread and if any more testing is needed will be happy to assist.

I understand, I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Right now the brunt of the work is related to polishing up purple-mm-sms . Thankfully, mmsd seems to be pretty polished, so there is nothing stopping anyone from making an MMS client from it!
These are the steps I used to install and test on Manjaro

This image of Manjaro was used:
Manjaro-ARM-phosh-pinephone-dev-20210110.img

1. ssh into phone and update all packages

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
reboot
sudo pacman -S automake autoconf gcc pkg-config make
reboot

2. Download ModemManager (Read the README to install and more info)

Code:
wget https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/archive/ModemManager/mmsd-ModemManager.tar.gz
tar zxvf mmsd-ModemManager.tar.gz
cd mmsd-ModemManager
autoupdate
./bootstrap-configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode
make
./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*'
ctrl-c
cd ../

By running the mmsd once it creates our config file

3. Download purple-mm-sms

Code:
wget https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-sms/-/archive/mmsd/purple-mm-sms-mmsd.tar.gz
tar zxvf purple-mm-sms-mmsd.tar.gz
cd purple-mm-sms-mmsd/
make
sudo make install
cd ../

4. Edit the ModemManager file for your carriers info

Code:
cd mmsd-ModemManager
vi ../.mms/modemmanager/ModemManagerSettings

5. Start ModemManager in debug mode
Code:
./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*'

A few good 'mmcli' commands to help you check the modem:
mmcli --scan-modems (May not give results just errors out)
mmcli --list-modems <-- This will give a dbus path and the number at the end is your modem
i.e. /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/4 <----
mmcli --modem=4  <--At the bottom of tthis command will give you your bearer number
i.e. dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/4
mmcli --modem=4 --bearer=4

Hope that helps the next person and thank you kop316 for all of the work you put in to further the cause
(01-13-2021, 08:14 PM)Rey Wrote: These are the steps I used to install and test on Manjaro

This image of Manjaro was used:
Manjaro-ARM-phosh-pinephone-dev-20210110.img

1. ssh into phone and update all packages

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
reboot
sudo pacman -S automake autoconf gcc pkg-config make
reboot

2. Download ModemManager (Read the README to install and more info)

Code:
wget https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/archive/ModemManager/mmsd-ModemManager.tar.gz
tar zxvf mmsd-ModemManager.tar.gz
cd mmsd-ModemManager
autoupdate
./bootstrap-configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode
make
./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*
ctrl-c
cd ../

By running the mmsd once it creates our config file

3. Download purple-mm-sms

Code:
wget https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-sms/-/archive/mmsd/purple-mm-sms-mmsd.tar.gz
tar zxvf purple-mm-sms-mmsd.tar.gz
cd ../purple-mm-sms-mmsd/
make
sudo make install
cd ../

4. Edit the ModemManager file for your carriers info

Code:
cd mmsd-ModemManager
vi ../.mms/modemmanager/ModemManagerSettings

5. Start ModemManager in debug mode
Code:
./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*'

A few good 'mmcli' commands to help you check the modem:
mmcli --scan-modems (May not give results just errors out)
mmcli --list-modems <-- This will give a dbus path and the number at the end is your modem
i.e. /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/4 <----
mmcli --modem=4  <--At the bottom of tthis command will give you your bearer number
i.e. dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/4
mmcli --modem=4 --bearer=4

Hope that helps the next person and thank you kop316 for all of the work you put in to further the cause

Thank you for annotating!

Also, not to give you too much false hope, but someone else noted that they have the same issue as you. So the issue may not just be SMIL, it may be the parser that is in purple-mm-sms. If there is a difference, than I may be able to parse out the picture too.

If you also want to help, I have the steps to install a debug version of chatty, and if I get the logs for that I may be able to understand a but better on how to parse the MMS you got too.
So if anyone out there would be willing to help, some help would be greatly appreciated on this project. I added a section to the first post of the issues that are outstanding that I need help in.

Unfortunately, many of the things I posted that need done are things that I simply do not know how to do, or I have tried unsuccessfully to get done. So most will continue to be outstanding issues until a) purism picks up some of the work, or b) someone with the know how can help me fix them.
(01-13-2021, 09:52 PM)kop316 Wrote: Thank you for annotating!

Also, not to give you too much false hope, but someone else noted that they have the same issue as you. So the issue may not just be SMIL, it may be the parser that is in purple-mm-sms. If there is a difference, than I may be able to parse out the picture too.

If you also want to help, I have the steps to install a debug version of chatty, and if I get the logs for that I may be able to understand a but better on how to parse the MMS you got too.

I can do that, send me the steps and I will recompile and send you what you are after.
(01-14-2021, 08:09 AM)Rey Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 09:52 PM)kop316 Wrote: Thank you for annotating!

I can do that, send me the steps and I will recompile and send you what you are after.

Thank you very much! I annotated how to do that here:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid85668 under "Debugging with Chatty"
With some help from Mr. Sadiq of Purism, I have gotten a lot further on chats! I have a WIP branch here:

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-...e/wipchats

The good thing is that the chat now shows up and I can click on it in chatty! however, there is still an issue where it disappears in chatty if I restart.
With the help of Mr. Sadiq of Purism, I have made a bit of progress on getting chats to work on chatty. This is a WIP branch to help me figure out how to properly add chats and buddies onto purple-mm-sms:

The good news, if you use this, the chat not only shows up, but you can click on it and it opens! The bad news is, when you close it, the chat disappears until you get sent a new SMS. I think it's because something is wrong with adding it to the account, but I am not sure.

Once I can figure out why the chat disappears when I close it, I can work to integrate this into purple-mm-sms, which has most of the hooks for both sending and recieving group MMS.
(01-15-2021, 02:21 PM)kop316 Wrote: With the help of Mr. Sadiq of Purism, I have made a bit of progress on getting chats to work on chatty. This is a WIP branch to help me figure out how to properly add chats and buddies onto purple-mm-sms:

The good news, if you use this, the chat not only shows up, but you can click on it and it opens! The bad news is, when you close it, the chat disappears until you get sent a new SMS. I think it's because something is wrong with adding it to the account, but I am not sure.

Once I can figure out why the chat disappears when I close it, I can work to integrate this into purple-mm-sms, which has most of the hooks for both sending and recieving group MMS.

Just so I am clear, purple-mm-sms is updated and I should install the updated using the link above?

I have Chatty built from source and can provide the debug logs. Oddity, when I restart Chatty from the cli I watch mmsd process a new request, when I run an md5sum on the file it is the same as the previous file it downloaded into the /home/manjaro/.mms/ folder. So it appears it keeps downloading the same file as the md5sums match for everyone that is downloaded.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,334 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 903 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,535 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,877 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,052 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,573 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,183 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,068 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,019 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,619 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel