DOA Pine64
I have had my Pine 2GB for about a week. I have tried Remix ( both Phoenix and DD ), Android, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, etc. All on a class 10 samsung sd card, with a 2.4A power supply. Connected to multiple displays. All this to no avail. All I ever get is a display that tells me there is no input detected.
Has anyone else had this problem? I emailed Support about it and have not heard back yet. If there is a problem with my board I would like to return it and get a new one. I was very excited to get this, but the problems are taking the wind out of it.

Any help would be great,
Cheers, Matt
(05-06-2016, 11:01 AM)mattylew80 Wrote: I have had my Pine 2GB for about a week. I have tried Remix ( both Phoenix and DD ), Android, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, etc. All on a class 10 samsung sd card, with a 2.4A power supply. Connected to multiple displays. All this to no avail. All I ever get is a display that tells me there is no input detected.
Has anyone else had this problem? I emailed Support about it and have not heard back yet. If there is a problem with my board I would like to return it and get a new one. I was very excited to get this, but the problems are taking the wind out of it.

Any help would be great,
Cheers, Matt

Yes that is exactly what happens if you display does not support 1080p60hz. The best thing to do is to use a usb to ttl adapter and monitor it through the console during boot. 

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=934

Your pine is very likely fine. 80% of the ones that have been returned as DOA were not DOA.
(05-06-2016, 11:34 AM)rahlquist Wrote: Yes that is exactly what happens if you display does not support 1080p60hz. The best thing to do is to use a usb to ttl adapter and monitor it through the console during boot. 

Your pine is very likely fine. 80% of the ones that have been returned as DOA were not DOA.

Thanks, just ordered a usb to ttl. Will try it. But one of my displays is a brand new 1080p60hz HD TV so it should be able to handle the pine
I'll let you know how it goes.
(05-06-2016, 11:50 AM)mattylew80 Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 11:34 AM)rahlquist Wrote: Yes that is exactly what happens if you display does not support 1080p60hz. The best thing to do is to use a usb to ttl adapter and monitor it through the console during boot. 

Thanks, just ordered a usb to ttl. Will try it. But one of my displays is a brand new 1080p60hz HD TV so it should be able to handle the pine
There is a new build coming(cant recall if Android or ReMix), I believe tllim said maybe Saturday that should support 720p so may help with the compatibility issues. All we can do is wait and see. I am in the same boat, I have tested 7 devices and only 1 works without an adapted. 3 others work with HDMI to VGA adapter but only by cropping the screen.
(05-06-2016, 11:54 AM)rahlquist Wrote:

There is a new build coming(cant recall if Android or ReMix), I believe tllim said maybe Saturday that should support 720p so may help with the compatibility issues. All we can do is wait and see. I am in the same boat, I have tested 7 devices and only 1 works without an adapted. 3 others work with HDMI to VGA adapter but only by cropping the screen.

These are some of the issues that need to be addressed if Pine is going to compete with the Pi.  Setup should not be this complicated.
(05-06-2016, 12:13 PM)mattylew80 Wrote:

These are some of the issues that need to be addressed if Pine is going to compete with the Pi.  Setup should not be this complicated.
Agreed but I also understand some of the complications they are facing and the unfortunate fact that their marketing compared them to a 4 year old product with tons of industry backing and arguably a SOC manuf that was much much more engaged with the community. Over on the pi forum they had and I believe still have Broadcom engineers who were doing code for the Pi and its camera. I know some of the engineers have since been laid off but they are still active in the community. Allwinner on the other hand is notorious for sluggish changes, and I have yet to see a post from a Allwinner software engineer here. Add on to that the Pi Foundation is a charity organization so any time that companies invest in helping them with code for their platform is likely a tax write off....

So in short yes I agree with you, if they are going to run their marketing pivoting on comparing it to Pi well they have a lot of ground to cover. Yes there may be technical differences with the pine wipes the floor with the Pi, but right now for many, functionally its Meh.

Well it is official. TTL did not output anything. Now I am ready to send my board back and ask for a new one. Very sad
(05-08-2016, 07:44 PM)mattylew80 Wrote:

Well it is official. TTL did not output anything. Now I am ready to send my board back and ask for a new one. Very sad

Sorry to hear that, hope your new one turns up soon...

(05-06-2016, 12:36 PM)rahlquist Wrote: Agreed but I also understand some of the complications they are facing and the unfortunate fact that their marketing compared them to a 4 year old product with tons of industry backing and arguably a SOC manuf that was much much more engaged with the community. Over on the pi forum they had and I believe still have Broadcom engineers who were doing code for the Pi and its camera. I know some of the engineers have since been laid off but they are still active in the community. Allwinner on the other hand is notorious for sluggish changes, and I have yet to see a post from a Allwinner software engineer here. Add on to that the Pi Foundation is a charity organization so any time that companies invest in helping them with code for their platform is likely a tax write off....

So in short yes I agree with you, if they are going to run their marketing pivoting on comparing it to Pi well they have a lot of ground to cover. Yes there may be technical differences with the pine wipes the floor with the Pi, but right now for many, functionally its Meh.

You've made some excellent points here, but if Allwinner don't see an opportunity in what Pine is doing then it's a long road ahead. Broadcom engineers have been a key part of the PI story, and without them the community would still be trying to figure it out. Setting up as a charity organization was genus. If my memory serve me correctly they are now manufactured by Sony in a plant in Wales, If it's not Sony then someone like them, I do remember the press mileage that it got. The combination of Tax breaks and PR coverage must be irresistible to the global-hyper-mega-corps.

Yes the pine is more powerful than the Pi series, but for how long? The Pi3 really did make it an IoT device, and they must be talking to Broadcom about changing the 1GB limit with the minimal amount of impact for the Pi4....

Anyways, my apologies for hijacking this thread.... Big Grin
(05-08-2016, 11:41 PM)frewind Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 07:44 PM)mattylew80 Wrote:

Sorry to hear that, hope your new one turns up soon...

(05-06-2016, 12:36 PM)rahlquist Wrote: Agreed but I also understand some of the complications they are facing and the unfortunate fact that their marketing compared them to a 4 year old product with tons of industry backing and arguably a SOC manuf that was much much more engaged with the community. Over on the pi forum they had and I believe still have Broadcom engineers who were doing code for the Pi and its camera. I know some of the engineers have since been laid off but they are still active in the community. Allwinner on the other hand is notorious for sluggish changes, and I have yet to see a post from a Allwinner software engineer here. Add on to that the Pi Foundation is a charity organization so any time that companies invest in helping them with code for their platform is likely a tax write off....

You've made some excellent points here, but if Allwinner don't see an opportunity in what Pine is doing then it's a long road ahead. Broadcom engineers have been a key part of the PI story, and without them the community would still be trying to figure it out. Setting up as a charity organization was genus. If my memory serve me correctly they are now manufactured by Sony in a plant in Wales, If it's not Sony then someone like them, I do remember the press mileage that it got. The combination of Tax breaks and PR coverage must be irresistible to the global-hyper-mega-corps.

Yes the pine is more powerful than the Pi series, but for how long? The Pi3 really did make it an IoT device, and they must be talking to Broadcom about changing the 1GB limit with the minimal amount of impact for the Pi4....

Anyways, my apologies for hijacking this thread.... Big Grin
Thanks on your good comment and definitely I will pass to Allwinner team when meet up with them again on this week. Thye have already start some participation in background mode and already that will have bigger impact if they prefer to come forward. The English barrier and culture difference are the two biggest concern.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,701 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,351 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Just discovered Pine64 ! - first Q philip_rhoades 4 5,616 04-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  A newest user in Pine64 Aliko 1 3,910 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PINE64 Installer - Simple Way to Image Your MicroSD pineadmin 101 149,154 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Emails from pine64 received as spam by gmail Matan 2 5,656 08-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Leiaz
  How to handle a Pine64 correctly gbjensen 6 16,204 03-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Last Post: InsideJob
Information Creating a NAS server in Pine64 javi_cala 4 8,213 01-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Last Post: bartes
  The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot Andrew2 109 206,876 10-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Technolab88
  Pine64 installer way slow flashing Paraplegic Racehorse 2 4,428 01-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dkryder