No HDMI signal from new Manjaro Community Edition phone dock
Question 
When I plug my new Pinephone into the dock, and the dock to HDMI and power, the screen geometry changes and the mouse pointer (from a USB mouse) disappears off the right side of the screen and takes some time to return, and lxrandr shows the HDMI connection, so I'm confident that the software is correctly detecting the HDMI connection, but there is no picture. I've tried several different HDMI cables and several different screens.

I haven't tried booting anything except the Manjaro distro that came with the phone.

It's a bit frustrating, since so many windows (especially config screens) do not fit on the phone screen, and can't really be used without a larger monitor since I don't know of a way to scale or scroll the display.

Am I missing something? Is there something else I can configure or test? Would I be able to try any USB-C dock, in case that's the issue?

Thanks for any insight!
You might need to try some of the other distros and check the status of the HDMI support on each. Not long ago hdmi was working with some screens but not others, so you may have one that it's not working with yet, or it may be fixed by updates.
Star 
It was fixed by the most recent update!
(11-09-2020, 11:20 AM)brianary Wrote: It was fixed by the most recent update!
I've had my PinePhone for only three days and happily the update enabled an image on my HDMI monitor for the first time. However, the image is just wallpaper. How can I display something useful on it?
(11-11-2020, 12:19 AM)calinb Wrote:
I've had my PinePhone for only three days and happily the update enabled an image on my HDMI monitor for the first time. However, the image is just wallpaper. How can I display something useful on it?

Try dragging a window off the right side of your phone screen.
(11-12-2020, 10:33 PM)brianary Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 12:19 AM)calinb Wrote:

Try dragging a window off the right side of your phone screen.
That really seems to be the only way. I have to say I was kind of disappointed, I was expecting to see the "normal" GNOME desktop with the top panel, applications hot-corner in the top left etc. Are there any distros which have this? Mobian perhaps?
I tried with latest manjaro-arm 5.9.1-9-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 but had no hdmi output at all.
This was the same with other images and I remember having red that it also might depend on the monitor.

Could somebody please explain this:
The same monitor using the same HDMI cable but branched to an ordinary X86 PC always worked. So I just wonder what makes the difference??
(11-13-2020, 09:28 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: Could somebody please explain this:
The same monitor using the same HDMI cable but branched to an ordinary X86 PC always worked. So I just wonder what makes the difference??
Different hardware, different driver, different platform and possibly different HDMI version. There's quite a lot of scope for little differences to cause a problem. I'd be more interested in the differences between the monitors that work and the ones that don't - that might help narrow down the possible cause(s). Are the HDMI versions different? Does it only happen with certain resolutions, refresh rates etc? Is there some EDID data quirk?
(11-15-2020, 07:05 AM)wibble Wrote:
Different hardware, different driver, different platform and possibly different HDMI version. There's quite a lot of scope for little differences to cause a problem. I'd be more interested in the differences between the monitors that work and the ones that don't - that might help narrow down the possible cause(s). Are the HDMI versions different? Does it only happen with certain resolutions, refresh rates etc? Is there some EDID data quirk?
Of course there is very different hardware in all the monitors and most probable different versions of HDMI.
But with all the X86 systems and all the monitors I have used there was never ever the slightest problem with HDMI output. Therefore my conclusion is:
The PinePhone with the dock delivered has not been sufficiently tested before and we are the paying guinea pigs of pine64.org who once more does not at all care for customer satisfaction.
(11-15-2020, 10:41 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:05 AM)wibble Wrote:
Of course there is very different hardware in all the monitors and most probable different versions of HDMI.
But with all the X86 systems and all the monitors I have used there was never ever the slightest problem with HDMI output. Therefore my conclusion is:
The PinePhone with the dock delivered has not been sufficiently tested before and we are the paying guinea pigs of pine64.org who once more does not at all care for customer satisfaction.

You literally never have any valuable input, only complaints. Please go find somewhere else to troll.
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,447 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,376 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 916 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  PinePhone keyboard layout with manjaro plasma daemonbsd 0 900 03-02-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: daemonbsd
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 27 23,270 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: skandigraun
  BETA edition rcu errors 8bit 29 19,177 11-02-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,188 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,548 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta