I'm a little disappointed in Pine64
(10-31-2020, 09:29 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 05:42 PM)Janik020301 Wrote: I

I don't want to charge at pine at all. I really love the idea of the devices. I mean i was already prepared to buy a pinebook after the pinephone. But as long as it is like this, i'm a bit worried. I have received two out of two broken things and the support hasn't been helpful at all. For me things have been looking like lost money so far.

But i'd love to be proven otherwise. Smile

Greetings
Janik

Good thing you did not order the PineBook Pro, you would of had three out of three broken things. The plastic cases on those were cracking.

I have the original ISO Pinebook Pro, and I think it's an amazing machine.  I've replaced the keyboard with an ansi keyboard and added an NVMe ssd. What other $200 computers are out there that users can repair themselves with common tools? What other $200 computers have open source boot?  I have a couple small cracks in the plastic that surrounds the screen, if it starts to bother me I'll order the replacement panel from the shop.  There is literally no other slim, open source laptop out there like the Pinebook Pro.
(11-02-2020, 06:06 PM)qchapter1 Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:29 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 05:42 PM)Janik020301 Wrote: I

I don't want to charge at pine at all. I really love the idea of the devices. I mean i was already prepared to buy a pinebook after the pinephone. But as long as it is like this, i'm a bit worried. I have received two out of two broken things and the support hasn't been helpful at all. For me things have been looking like lost money so far.

But i'd love to be proven otherwise. Smile

Greetings
Janik

Good thing you did not order the PineBook Pro, you would of had three out of three broken things. The plastic cases on those were cracking.

I have the original ISO Pinebook Pro, and I think it's an amazing machine.  I've replaced the keyboard with an ansi keyboard and added an NVMe ssd. What other $200 computers are out there that users can repair themselves with common tools? What other $200 computers have open source boot?  I have a couple small cracks in the plastic that surrounds the screen, if it starts to bother me I'll order the replacement panel from the shop.  There is literally no other slim, open source laptop out there like the Pinebook Pro.

That is not the point. Just because they are doing this for open source, and not for profit does not mean they should build poor quality products.
Maybe you could do better.
(11-02-2020, 09:21 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Maybe you could do better.
 Yea, it's not that hard. You do oversight of the company doing the manufacturing, and hold them accountable for errors, and defects. What is the point of doing anything is you are going to do it sloppy, and ruin your reputation?
So what are you waiting for? Let's see the Knerdbook Pro.
(11-03-2020, 02:54 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: So what are you waiting for?  Let's see the Knerdbook Pro.

Well, i don't think that this is helping. There's definitely still potential at pine64, no doubt. Yet still there's the problem, that  people receive broken hardware and almost nothing is done to protect them. My ticket, and the tickets from others, from what i've heard are still unanswered after two weeks. I for myself have contacted tllim through a private message, after i've picked up on this, in this thread here. I haven't got an answer there yet either.

I just hope, something will be done soon.

Greetings
Janik
(11-03-2020, 02:54 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: So what are you waiting for? Let's see the Knerdbook Pro.

I take it you have never had anything manufactured. It's called have them send you some samples, or have someone go there and check the quality out before you have them sent out en-mass to customers. By the number of complaints coming about the most recent PinePhone delivery, it seems Pine64 folks are not doing any checking.
In my professional life, I have. But not retail products. In my private life, I haven't; I pretty much make everything myself.

I don't know that I'd dare to sell retail products to anyone these days. For the same reasons many appliance manufactures are considering a lease-only rather than buy-to-own model.

I think if Pine64 didn't evaluate their products before going to market, we'd have a much worse situation. It seems more like there is less than optimal quality control. I started buying Pine64 products with this in mind. For the things I buy, if I can't fix them myself, I'll deal with the loss. Caveat emptor. I simply don't buy a lot of modern things brand new. Too many times I've bought things brand new and I get the one defective one out of a million. The second-hand market is awesome.
(11-03-2020, 09:26 PM)KNERD Wrote: I take it you have never had anything manufactured. It's called have them send you some samples, or have someone go there and check the quality out before you have them sent out en-mass to customers. By the number of complaints coming about the most recent PinePhone delivery, it seems Pine64 folks are not doing any checking.
I take it you have never learned the statistics of manufacturing electronic gadgets.
With any reasonable effort in testing, the result is still something like 0.1% of defective parts delivered.

What is urgently needed is pine64 and it's founder @tllim to recognize such facts and to organize after sales support in such a way that people get a replacement without further cost.
It is unacceptable that these clients of pine64.org have to pay cost of shipping back and lose the payment of the import duties paid before.
(11-04-2020, 01:43 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:26 PM)KNERD Wrote: I take it you have never had anything manufactured. It's called have them send you some samples, or have someone go there and check the quality out before you have them sent out en-mass to customers. By the number of complaints coming about the most recent PinePhone delivery, it seems Pine64 folks are not doing any checking.
I take it you have never learned the statistics of manufacturing electronic gadgets.
With any reasonable effort in testing, the result is still something like 0.1% of defective parts delivered.

What is urgently needed is pine64 and it's founder @tllim to recognize such facts and to organize after sales support in such a way that people get a replacement without further cost.
It is unacceptable that these clients of pine64.org have to pay cost of shipping back and lose the payment of the import duties paid before.

I realize it will not be 100% perfect as you cannot help but have flaws, but there seems to be a lot of complaints coming in

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sadly disappointed. gordinaj 15 1,458 01-03-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  I am very disappointed robb777 9 3,057 02-20-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Buyer beware: Pine64 is not checking their sales email, won't alter or cancel orders 3x5co 5 3,901 01-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Thanks Pine64! themagicm 0 943 11-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: themagicm
  Pine64 forum vs other channels vongillus 12 8,286 05-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Last Post: vongillus
  Does PINE64 ship to South America? Is v1.2b the final hardware? amosbatto 4 3,744 04-05-2021, 07:35 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
Sad Problems with PINE64 Support Astilex 1 2,405 04-05-2021, 12:48 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Wrong language installed on PINE64 mobian edition Derek7 0 1,931 04-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Derek7
  new Pine64 KDE2 Plasma - missing navigation buttons? DonF22 2 3,660 03-03-2021, 01:19 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Default Password for New Pine64 KDE Plasma CE? robertb1 3 5,118 02-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Last Post: cybercricket