Are PinePhones Becoming More Usable On Each Release . . .
Hello,
I'm just curious if the phonepines are ironing out issues on every release. I read all these little things and curious if those tiny issues ( ex.  the high pitch buzz upon turning on the pinephone or a muffled sound when trying to talk on the phone ). I had the PMOS release but gave the phone to my little nephew, who seems to be getting way more out of it than I was at the time. The kids 11 and now bugging me for one of my thinkpads, bc his father won't let him switch his desktop over to linux. I'm itching for another pinephone, but really want to use it as a functioning phone. I don't use social media or any google apps on my phone.So, is it safe to pull the trigger on the Manjaro edition ?
Related negativity thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11754.
(10-14-2020, 06:40 AM)fsflover Wrote: Related negativity thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11754.
Thanks, I just read through every line of the 7 pages written, threw in my 2 cents of support, and still proceed an order from the Manjaro edition. I don't support or believe in much, but Linux and a Linux phone, I believe in.
(10-14-2020, 06:03 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: I'm itching for another pinephone, but really want to use it as a functioning phone. I don't use social media or any google apps on my phone.So, is it safe to pull the trigger on the Manjaro edition ?

The PinePhone is close to daily driver material, poor battery life and intermittent software failure notwithstanding. If you don't need any applications which aren't native to Linux, you're good to go.

I may be more forgiving than others; just my two cents.
battery life isn´t that bad any more with Mobiam or Arch. Unless you have to reboot often, that eats about 3% of battery each time.
(10-14-2020, 11:02 AM)jed Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 06:03 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: I'm itching for another pinephone, but really want to use it as a functioning phone. I don't use social media or any google apps on my phone.So, is it safe to pull the trigger on the Manjaro edition ?

The PinePhone is close to daily driver material, poor battery life and intermittent software failure notwithstanding. If you don't need any applications which aren't native to Linux, you're good to go.

I may be more forgiving than others; just my two cents.
I had the PMOS edition briefly and Mobian seemed to be the better of OS's. So, I'm hoping more little glitches or whatnot are ironed out with Manjaro edition. Do you notice the battery changes with each OS ? Or just lower than average battery life ?

(10-14-2020, 11:53 AM)Veraendert Wrote: battery life isn´t that bad any more with Mobiam or Arch. Unless you have to reboot often, that eats about 3% of battery each time.
I'm not a Arch user. I've attempted to build a system from the wiki and took a step back and realized it was above my head and to simply stay with mint to bump up to Debian and one Arch. With that being said to you use Mobian more so than Arch ? I could be wrong but with the brief ownership on the PMOS edition. I felt Mobian was the OS to come out of top of functionality of all the OS's is that fair to say as of now ?
I simply use a couple of SD cards to try different OSs and to have a look how they improved. Mobian is on par with Arch (both take a couple of steps ahead but also some back from time to time) but i´m used to Arch so i feel a little more at home with it. I have a 3rd SD with Sailfish (sadly no progress lately) and a 4th with something else (e.g.Manjaro but that one is far behind or Ubports which unfortunately shows not much progress either). Neither runs flawlessly (Sailfish being an exception when it comes to stability but it drains the battery and isn´t fully functional) but at least Mobian and Arch are progressing nicely after all. PMOS is still installed on the phone of course.

This is not meant to criticize the devs of other OSs. It depends on your personal preferences. Manjaro devs try hard to integrate Anbox (which i´m not that interested in, i don´t see the point in having a Linux phone to run Android SW on it) and Ubports devs are busy purging parts of the system that are becoming to old to keep.
Another negativity thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11754.

(10-15-2020, 12:18 AM)Veraendert Wrote: I simply use a couple of SD cards to try different OSs and to have a look how they improved.

Why not use multi-boot iso image instead? https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11347. It's amazing!
Because i had to install a desktop for Arch first. And i was too lazy to do that when i tried the multi-boot iso.
(10-14-2020, 12:45 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: I had the PMOS edition briefly and Mobian seemed to be the better of OS's. So, I'm hoping more little glitches or whatnot are ironed out with Manjaro edition. Do you notice the battery changes with each OS ? Or just lower than average battery life ?

I'm using Mobian as it has the best featureset.

Frankly, battery life and monitoring are so poor that I can't meaningfully distinguish which operating system is 'better' in this regard. Consequently, any OS which implements CRUST (such as Mobian) is best, as you can at least achieve good standby time.

If you don't need the modem (e.g., if you have no reception at your home or workplace) then flip the killswitch for superior battery life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhones on assembly line Luke 23 45,585 09-11-2021, 12:17 AM
Last Post: sagaracharya
  Android apps on Pinephones Raniyah 1 4,197 11-23-2020, 10:39 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  any plans to release motherboard for 1.2A blackfire 8 9,683 11-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
Question PMOS EU-only PinePhones on the store? marcih 6 6,889 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Last Post: marcih
  Reselling Pinephones on ebay to make money out of it? Peter Gamma 50 45,548 10-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Release: PinePhone model file (Blender) fxc 0 1,939 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: fxc