Phone Won't Detect Music Files From SD Card
I've been having issues with my Pinephone detecting my music files from my Micro SD Card. I ended up buying a 256GB Micro SD card just so I can take all of my music with me on the phone, but for some reason the Music app says 'no music files detected'.
did you mount your sdcard? basically none of the distros mount sd cards by default without some extra steps
(07-24-2020, 05:12 PM)hiimtye Wrote: did you mount your sdcard? basically none of the distros mount sd cards by default without some extra steps

How do I mount the SD card?
that's a question with more than one answer. I mount SD Cards by loading udiskie. others add their SD card to /etc/fstab. before, I mounted an SD card by using a bash script but I got annoyed that I had to change it every time I reformatted or changed the SD card
(07-25-2020, 12:51 AM)hiimtye Wrote: that's a question with more than one answer. I mount SD Cards by loading udiskie. others add their SD card to /etc/fstab. before, I mounted an SD card by using a bash script but I got annoyed that I had to change it every time I reformatted or changed the SD card

I appreciate the response, but I have no idea what you just said. I'm not exactly an advanced Linux user, so any step by step information would be helpful. =)
(07-26-2020, 01:01 AM)Joelandsonja Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:51 AM)hiimtye Wrote: that's a question with more than one answer. I mount SD Cards by loading udiskie. others add their SD card to /etc/fstab. before, I mounted an SD card by using a bash script but I got annoyed that I had to change it every time I reformatted or changed the SD card

I appreciate the response, but I have no idea what you just said. I'm not exactly an advanced Linux user, so any step by step information would be helpful. =)
Which distro are you using? Some methods will work with one but not another.
I'm using the UBports edition Pinephone.
(07-27-2020, 10:02 PM)Joelandsonja Wrote: I'm using the UBports edition Pinephone.
That's the hardware version. The distro would be UBPorts (which it probably arrived with), Mobian, PmOS etc.
(07-22-2020, 01:52 PM)Joelandsonja Wrote: I've been having issues with my Pinephone detecting my music files from my Micro SD Card. I ended up buying a 256GB Micro SD card just so I can take all of my music with me on the phone, but for some reason the Music app says 'no music files detected'.

You're not the only one. The music application also doesn't detect my music files (even after I mount he SD card). I even tried making a sym link from the SD card music files to my music folder in my home directory. No dice.

I am able to get the player to import songs by navigating to them in the file manager and opening them with music player, though. Once imported, they stay there. I just don't want to do this for each song in my library.

What the others are trying to dell you is that your SD card doesn't automatically mount in Ubuntu Touch. You have to manually mount it using various methods. For instance, I created a folder named sd in my home directory and then mounted the card there:

mkdir ~/sd
mount /dev/mmcblk0 ~/sd

You can then navigate to the files on the card from the terminal or in the file manager.
(07-29-2020, 11:14 AM)paintchip Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 01:52 PM)Joelandsonja Wrote: I've been having issues with my Pinephone detecting my music files from my Micro SD Card. I ended up buying a 256GB Micro SD card just so I can take all of my music with me on the phone, but for some reason the Music app says 'no music files detected'.

You're not the only one. The music application also doesn't detect my music files (even after I mount he SD card). I even tried making a sym link from the SD card music files to my music folder in my home directory. No dice.

I am able to get the player to import songs by navigating to them in the file manager and opening them with music player, though. Once imported, they stay there. I just don't want to do this for each song in my library.

What the others are trying to dell you is that your SD card doesn't automatically mount in Ubuntu Touch. You have to manually mount it using various methods. For instance, I created a folder named sd in my home directory and then mounted the card there:

mkdir ~/sd
mount /dev/mmcblk0 ~/sd

You can then navigate to the files on the card from the terminal or in the file manager.

Didn't work for me, but I might have made a typo somewhere along the line. 

I'm hoping UBports will do a significant update soon, because this thing has just been sitting in my drawer for a month.  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 933 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 171 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Share The External MicroSD Folders and Files On A Network? pinephoneuser22 5 1,416 02-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata