Not booting , Black screen backlight is on
I got my pinephone today. Switched on, it worked ,  did some setting changes, rebooted several time. After a few hours rebooted, then it stop booting up. The LCD backlight is on, the led flashes red green white in the beginning and nothing.  Screen goes to sleep, if I press power the backlight comes on but the screen is black.  Cannot go into recovery mode.  Flashed other OS in  SD same problem. Flashed fedora , lcd backlight does not even come up, after 30 sec led light next to camera  switches on .Strange issue , any idea? Thanks.
(06-24-2020, 03:27 PM)pokemanearth Wrote: I got my pinephone today. Switched on, it worked ,  did some setting changes, rebooted several time. After a few hours rebooted, then it stop booting up. The LCD backlight is on, the led flashes red green white in the beginning and nothing.  Screen goes to sleep, if I press power the backlight comes on but the screen is black.  Cannot go into recovery mode.  Flashed other OS in  SD same problem. Flashed fedora , lcd backlight does not even come up, after 30 sec led light next to camera  switches on .Strange issue , any idea? Thanks.

Experiencing the same issues as well, was able to boot out of the box and use the OS for about an hour, experienced some screen flickering after enabling the auto brightness feature and the screen went dark. Have not been able to get anything displayed on the screen since, but it does show that the backlight is coming on. I have attempted to boot from SD, boot from jumpdrive, flash a new UBPorts (current version and an older version), Postmarket OS, and PureOS...none will allow the screen to show anything other than the dark backlight. The front LEDs will light up, I am able to telnet to the device using the jumpdrive, the phone will vibrate on boot (Postmarket OS), and the battery has been fully charged. Any advice or ideas would be great...
(06-29-2020, 10:31 AM)bigtallviking Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 03:27 PM)pokemanearth Wrote: I got my pinephone today. Switched on, it worked ,  did some setting changes, rebooted several time. After a few hours rebooted, then it stop booting up. The LCD backlight is on, the led flashes red green white in the beginning and nothing.  Screen goes to sleep, if I press power the backlight comes on but the screen is black.  Cannot go into recovery mode.  Flashed other OS in  SD same problem. Flashed fedora , lcd backlight does not even come up, after 30 sec led light next to camera  switches on .Strange issue , any idea? Thanks.

Experiencing the same issues as well, was able to boot out of the box and use the OS for about an hour, experienced some screen flickering after enabling the auto brightness feature and the screen went dark. Have not been able to get anything displayed on the screen since, but it does show that the backlight is coming on. I have attempted to boot from SD, boot from jumpdrive, flash a new UBPorts (current version and an older version), Postmarket OS, and PureOS...none will allow the screen to show anything other than the dark backlight. The front LEDs will light up, I am able to telnet to the device using the jumpdrive, the phone will vibrate on boot (Postmarket OS), and the battery has been fully charged. Any advice or ideas would be great...
There appears to be a clock speed issue. Solution for all other distros except UBPorts in the following https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832
(06-29-2020, 02:49 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 10:31 AM)bigtallviking Wrote:

There appears to be a clock speed issue. Solution for all other distros except UBPorts in the following https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832
This is occurring on the initial boot, even with the jumpdrive there are no graphics that appear on the screen. Flashing the different clock speed binaries did not resolve the issue, nor did flashing an older version of an OS prior to the DRAM patch (attempted with Postmarket and Mobian to follow the linked page). Is it possible this is hardware related? Or are there any logs that can be accessed via telnet?
Same here. Pinephone UBports Edition.
I had problems with booting from the SD from start "of out of the" box.
I succeeded once with Postmarket OS. Made no changes to EMMC. Only booting from SD.
After I tried to SD boot with UBPorts an older version II can't boot at all.
No Jumpdrive , no factory image works from the SD.
Tried different SD cards. Power should be ok.
After the Pine Logo the screen is dark no read activity from the LED.

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
(07-01-2020, 03:32 AM)maba Wrote: Same here. Pinephone UBports Edition.
I succeeded once with Postmarket OS. Made no changes to EMMC. Only booting from SD.
After I tried to SD boot  with UBPorts an older version II can't boot at all.

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Sounds like partition tables got corrupted. Run gparted on your SD cards and then re-install ubports on one, or the jump drive image. Insert, boot into recovery and see if it succesfully can.  If so, then run gparted on your emmc because it also is likely corrupted. Mine were. I reflashed after gparted and all works now. Running  ubports on emmc and pureOS on sdcard
(07-01-2020, 05:00 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Sounds like partition tables got corrupted. Run gparted on your SD cards and then re-install ubports on one, or the jump drive image. Insert, boot into recovery and see if it succesfully can.  If so, then run gparted on your emmc because it also is likely corrupted. Mine were. I reflashed after gparted and all works now. Running  ubports on emmc and pureOS on sdcard
Erased the SD card completely (SanDisk Ultra 32GB), ran gparted on it and then used dd to flash yesterday's release of jump drive. Popped into the phone with battery fully charged, the display is still not showing anything and only the backlight is turning on. Have a 6MB video of the boot process but not sure I can attach it here, can message or PM if needed (edit: added to the Telegram chat)
(07-01-2020, 10:19 AM)bigtallviking Wrote:

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Erased the SD card completely (SanDisk Ultra 32GB), ran gparted on it and then used dd to flash yesterday's release of jump drive. Popped into the phone with battery fully charged, the display is still not showing anything and only the backlight is turning on. Have a 6MB video of the boot process but not sure I can attach it here, can message or PM if needed (edit: added to the Telegram chat)
Can you try with UBPorts build 54 from this June? Do not do the clock patch, just dd the image file to the SD card and try to boot to recovery
(07-01-2020, 12:43 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Can you try with UBPorts build 54 from this June? Do not do the clock patch, just dd the image file to the SD card and try to boot to recovery
Ahumm, if there was a forum thread named: "Hall of Lame" I will be high listed.
But here is my confession.
I haven't used a SIM-card yet because I only want to discover first. And my old eyes didn't noticed I have put the SD-card Angel in the SIM part.
My eMMC is corrupted that's for sure. But I have Mobian running from the SD.
Thanks for your help and sorry for your time....

/Maba
(07-01-2020, 12:43 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
UBPorts build 54 downloaded, extracted, and flashed to 32GB SD card (erased, formatted in gparted). Same behavior on boot and recovery where the display is only backlit and no images appear. The only difference now is there is a sound when plugging in the USB-C cable that was included in the box, does not make a sound in recovery mode. I've left it sitting for awhile in case anything needs to load, no change.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,667 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Boot screen stuck at 'K' because of firmware deleted. poundantisec 9 5,001 08-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: fxc
  locked out on PIN screen g40 1 594 06-07-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 8 5,094 02-03-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dante404
  My screen bottom side has loosed its tactile function arbocenc 1 755 01-06-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: britelite
  "PinenotePhone": Swap E-Ink Screen Onto Pinephone? britelite 0 625 01-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Screen seems ok but no display UncleMeat 3 1,487 11-03-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Black screen no matter the OS joseph303 2 1,414 07-19-2022, 01:07 AM
Last Post: joseph303
  Boot problem: wrong screen orientation Jetpac 6 3,651 07-18-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: fravoi
  Manjaro phosh no screen rotation sandspur 1 1,267 06-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Last Post: rapp