About the next ARM-based macbook....
Hello! I recently received a Pinebook pro and I love the aestetichs and the idea of an arm-based laptop. However I see lag of support regarding most Distros that could do wonders in this machine. 
Meanwhile the rumors of a new arm-based Macbook Air are real and I was wondering if somebody would be brave enough to eventually port arm-MacOS to the Pinebook pro. that would be the ultimate Operative System goal IMO. Any thoughts?
download big sur and go for it!
I fail to see why MacOS would be the ultimate Operative System goal.
Apple is a company known for vendor lock-in.
Linux is about interoperability.
Two very different worlds.
I can imagine why it would be useful, though I loathe the company, they have some awesome software running on their systems. Like Qlab for instance.
Some compatibility layer would work for me too Big Grin
(06-25-2020, 03:24 AM)jiyong Wrote: I fail to see why MacOS would be the ultimate Operative System goal.
I say that because as of now, most linux distros suck or barely work. Manjaro is ok, but it still has a few issues.
what are the issues with debian?
(06-25-2020, 09:05 AM)walterego Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 03:24 AM)jiyong Wrote: I fail to see why MacOS would be the ultimate Operative System goal.
I say that because as of now, most linux distros suck or barely work. Manjaro is ok, but it still has a few issues.

Eh, sure there are some distros that have some issues, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that most Linux distros "suck". 

In fact, the most popular Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, and the like are, in my experience, even more stable (as well as more secure) than their closed-source counterparts from Microsoft and Apple.
(06-24-2020, 04:20 PM)walterego Wrote: Hello! I recently received a Pinebook pro and I love the aestetichs and the idea of an arm-based laptop. However I see lag of support regarding most Distros that could do wonders in this machine. 
Meanwhile the rumors of a new arm-based Macbook Air are real and I was wondering if somebody would be brave enough to eventually port arm-MacOS to the Pinebook pro. that would be the ultimate Operative System goal IMO. Any thoughts?

Well Linux systems do get FOSS ratings,  some better,  some worse  ...  BUT I have never seen a Microsoft or Apple or Android O.S. get any FOSS ratings !

**   BUT Linux IS about giving you 'Choices'  !

Some users here DO install Google/Android on their devices...

BUT you may run into legal battles as well,     putting proprietary software on your device(s)...  ?

***  WHY purchase a device aimed at privacy,   then install a privacy invading operating system ?

Does NOT make any sense to me,  but  if It is your choice  go for it...

LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-24-2020, 04:20 PM)walterego Wrote: Hello! I recently received a Pinebook pro and I love the aestetichs and the idea of an arm-based laptop. However I see lag of support regarding most Distros that could do wonders in this machine. 
That is unlikely for a number of reasons.

AArch64 isn't like x86_64, where the kernel is provided a good idea of the hardware layout by the BIOS/UEFI firmware.

It is probably relatively easy to port UEFI to the PineBook, but the necessary hardware detection components, not so much. I think it's ACPI you need for that.
With Linux, it makes hardware support lag since you need to write device tree files for each ARM system, but at least it can arrive. In macOS, the OS is designed to prevent you from extending hardware support, and I'm sure the necessary hooks are undocumented by Apple.
All they have to do is check for the T2 security chip and you are SOL.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linus Torvalds using M2 Macbook Air running Linux orbital 17 7,778 09-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: orbital
  Arm based Windows VM on PBP? speculatrix 4 4,007 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: wdt