Serial port cable
So, I've found threads on the forum that say that the serial port cable being sold by Pine64 is not fully compatible with the Pinebook Pro.
Is that still the case?
Is there somewhere I can buy a compatible serial port cable?
Or do I have to make one myself?
(03-06-2020, 04:11 PM)bsammon Wrote: So, I've found threads on the forum that say that the serial port cable being sold by Pine64 is not fully compatible with the Pinebook Pro.
Is that still the case?

Should works :-)
(03-09-2020, 06:00 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 04:11 PM)bsammon Wrote: So, I've found threads on the forum that say that the serial port cable being sold by Pine64 is not fully compatible with the Pinebook Pro.
Is that still the case?

it has 5V on IO lines! whereas it's supposed to be 3.3V, farthermore, rk3399 uarts want 3.0V (max 3.15)! so it's a two fold problem and indefinitely overlooked. the adapter doesn't work properly and causes instabilities, which is no wonder, given such a voltage mismatch.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
As I would like to debug suspend problem over serial cable, and as I only have the one from pine64 store, it should be really clarified before suggesting that "should works :-)" . If one kills his PBP because of this, will it get replaced free of charge? As coronavirus ban is there, receiving new PBP is almost impossible.

Other than this what is an alternative? To use some kind of jack headphone cable and connect to an USB to TTL Converter with 3.3V? But ifrk3399 uarts want 3.0V (max 3.15) what to do?
(03-09-2020, 06:00 PM)tllim Wrote:
Is that still the case?

I don't think it does.

For me the excessive voltage level on the adapter TX/PBP RX pin causes the kernel to crash during boot up. My laptop wasn't physically damaged by the over-volting from the adapter but since it doesn't work anyway I saw no reasons to take risks and stopped using it.

I now use a 3.3v TTL adapter from eBay with a hand soldered 3.5mm adapter.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(03-10-2020, 02:16 AM)danielt Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 06:00 PM)tllim Wrote: Should works :-)

I don't think it does.

For me the excessive voltage level on the adapter TX/PBP RX pin causes the kernel to crash during boot up. My laptop wasn't physically damaged by the over-volting from the adapter but since it doesn't work anyway I saw no reasons to take risks and stopped using it.

I now use a 3.3v TTL adapter from eBay with a hand soldered 3.5mm adapter.

The crash during boot might be unrelated to the voltage:

"Note: It is not recommended to connect the serial adapter to pin 10 (RX) while booting, as this often causes the board to hang early in the bootloader. Disconnecting pin 10 still allows the serial console to be viewed, and it can be reconnected after the board boots, allowing interaction with the console."

https://nixos.wiki/wiki/NixOS_on_ARM/PIN...al_console

Regardless, Pine should sell a 3.3V adapter, with the correct chipset.   I have no idea why they are selling a 5V adapter when, as far as I know, none of the Pine computers use 5V UART.
(03-10-2020, 11:56 AM)zaius Wrote: The crash during boot might be unrelated to the voltage:

"Note: It is not recommended to connect the serial adapter to pin 10 (RX) while booting, as this often causes the board to hang early in the bootloader. Disconnecting pin 10 still allows the serial console to be viewed, and it can be reconnected after the board boots, allowing interaction with the console."

https://nixos.wiki/wiki/NixOS_on_ARM/PIN...al_console

Regardless, Pine should sell a 3.3V adapter, with the correct chipset.   I have no idea why they are selling a 5V adapter when, as far as I know, none of the Pine computers use 5V UART.

I've seen this note before and I assumed that is was entirely related to the bad voltage (although that doesn't mean that I am right Wink ).

Basically a TTL serial device "parks" at logic high and will always send out 3.3v or 5v when it is not sending characters. In other words unless you are actively typing then there isn't really anything except for the voltage being applied to the RX pin that could be causing the board to hang.

It is not impossible that there are also crashes when 3.3v is applied to the RX pin but I haven't seen any reports of that on the forum (although now the PBP has become so popular I no longer have time to read all the threads). On the other hand I have seen many reports about problems with the 5v adapter.
(03-11-2020, 08:53 AM)danielt Wrote: Basically a TTL serial device "parks" at logic high and will always send out 3.3v or 5v when it is not sending characters. In other words unless you are actively typing then there isn't really anything except for the voltage being applied to the RX pin that could be causing the board to hang.

So if high logic makes it hang, then why wouldn't 3.3V on a 3.3V input still make it hang?  I'm not saying that using an adapter with a 5V output isn't a problem.  I'm questioning whether there might be two problems — a voltage problem and a logic problem.

(From the little I've read, it sounds as though some chipsets park outputs at a high impedance state, so the input is floating rather than held high or low.)
(03-11-2020, 01:00 PM)zaius Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 08:53 AM)danielt Wrote: Basically a TTL serial device "parks" at logic high and will always send out 3.3v or 5v when it is not sending characters. In other words unless you are actively typing then there isn't really anything except for the voltage being applied to the RX pin that could be causing the board to hang.

So if high logic makes it hang, then why wouldn't 3.3V on a 3.3V input still make it hang?  I'm not saying that using an adapter with a 5V output isn't a problem.  I'm questioning whether there might be two problems — a voltage problem and a logic problem.

(From the little I've read, it sounds as though some chipsets park outputs at a high impedance state, so the input is floating rather than held high or low.)

5v is not really logic high (from the Pinebook's point of view), it is over-volting the I/O pins.

So far on the Pinebook Pro forums I have seen multiple independant failure reports with the Pine64 3.5mm serial adapter (over-volting), multiple independant success reports with a variety of different 3.3v adapters (logic high) and, unless I have overlooked something, no failure reports with 3.3v adapters.

3.3v adapters could cause touble (IIRC 3.3v is, strictly speaking, slightly over-volted too... but hopefully it is within engineering tolerances). However if they do cause trouble why are we not getting failure reports for that?
Quote:(IIRC 3.3v is, strictly speaking, slightly over-volted too... but hopefully it is within engineering tolerances
not accordingly to the rk3399 datasheet, which claims 3.15 V as the acceptable maximum to that power domain.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  serial cable 2023 thread bsammon 2 1,119 07-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: bsammon
  How are people finding the type-A USB 3.0 port? chris88233 1 945 10-01-2022, 01:04 AM
Last Post: LivingLinux
  Fried the charger port and USB leapylee 1 1,543 01-12-2022, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Danct12
  Pinebook Pro - Display cable broken? snokis 0 1,472 08-17-2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: snokis
  [SOLVED] Red light flashes next to barrel-port Carl 31 41,732 01-18-2021, 09:34 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Serial console accessible from outside as400 4 5,113 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Last Post: as400
  Pinebook Pro doesn't boot most of the time unless connected via USB-serial! nib0 16 12,933 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Charging via USB-C Port tyha 15 19,752 07-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Last Post: iscmob
  Save your sanity: If you buy a PBP, buy a serial adapter and USB to eMMC adapter. Syonyk 11 12,713 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM
Last Post: manawyrm
Photo Looking for a PBP NVMe/SSD cable ab1jx 13 14,300 06-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ab1jx