Does pmbootstrap install the latest image?
As the title says, does pmbootstrap install the latest image of whatever ui I choose? I want to make sure before I start reporting issues that I'm using the latest build but I don't see that info anywhere I've looked. Thanks
Edit: See below responses, my info below is incorrect. Pmbootstrap DOES install the latest version or image.

Answering my own question - pmbootstrap does not load the latest version. I downloaded the latest and flashed it via dd (instructions for using dd are below) and it's obvious that the version that pmbootstrap uses is very old because many many things just don't work. However with the latest version, it is much more usable.

To flash the latest version with dd, it seems to be necessary to set blocksize to 1024 bytes. Also, you have to expand the root partition because it only allocates a gb or so. I used gparted to expand the root partition successfully. The dd command is below.
(dd bs=1024 if=imagefile of=/dev/mmbclk0 in my case)
Actually no, it _does_ install the "latest image" (whatever that means). It just pulls the packages from the repositories while installing so it uses whatever is in there. The images put online also pull from that same repository.
(02-15-2020, 10:51 PM)mypine Wrote: Answering my own question - pmbootstrap does not load the latest version. I downloaded the latest and flashed it via dd (instructions for using dd are below) and it's obvious that the version that pmbootstrap uses is very old because many many things just don't work. However with the latest version, it is much more usable.

To flash the latest version with dd, it seems to be necessary to set blocksize to 1024 bytes. Also, you have to expand the root partition because it only allocates a gb or so. I used gparted to expand the root partition successfully. The dd command is below.
(dd bs=1024 if=imagefile of=/dev/mmbclk0 in my case)

Here is a more complete answer,
but basically yes, it's the latest version. The images are often here to test stuff that's sometimes hard to put together, or sometimes to make distribution easier in some cases. They are not the "latest" version, and I don't think you can actually rely on them getting published regularly, at this point.

Grab one if you really don't want to use pmbootstrap (though you should try to use it if you want to play with different experimental packages), and update it:

Code:
apk update && apk upgrade -a
(02-20-2020, 06:02 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: Actually no, it _does_ install the "latest image" (whatever that means). It just pulls the packages from the repositories while installing so it uses whatever is in there. The images put online also pull from that same repository.

Did you really have a hard time understanding 'latest image'? I don't think you did, so why say that? Pretty straight forward, in any context involving software. So why pretend you don't understand something so straight forward, and then proceed to answer the question, indicating you know exactly what I meant?

[/quote]

Here is a more complete answer,
but basically yes, it's the latest version. The images are often here to test stuff that's sometimes hard to put together, or sometimes to make distribution easier in some cases. They are not the "latest" version, and I don't think you can actually rely on them getting published regularly, at this point.

Grab one if you really don't want to use pmbootstrap (though you should try to use it if you want to play with different experimental packages), and update it:

Code:
apk update && apk upgrade -a
[/quote]

Thanks for the helpful and detailed answer. I guess I'll have to play around with it a bit to figure out why there seemed to be a big difference in what pmbootstrap loaded vs what I downloaded and installed manually.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Firefox Crashes on Start-up (latest installer) & How do I change Default Browser? aLoop100o 1 349 11-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 427 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 683 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Issues after installing latest PostMarket OS with POSH xen314 4 1,201 08-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: xen314
  Install 9999 packages AndyM 0 471 07-24-2023, 01:07 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Can't install powersupply user641 0 416 07-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: user641
  Trying to install Mousai AndyM 0 491 06-10-2023, 08:25 AM
  how to install updates? someGermanGuy 2 1,875 04-26-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: someGermanGuy
  Latest suggestion to fix modem instability? feklee 10 8,399 01-31-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: feklee
  How to install software AndyM 8 7,254 11-14-2021, 01:08 AM