Restore default Debian system
(02-03-2020, 03:27 AM)uby89 Wrote: I ordered the usb to emmc adaptor, but I know it will take a while to come down.

You can get one from Amazon in just a coyote of days for 10 bucks
(02-03-2020, 06:35 AM)MIchael Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 03:27 AM)uby89 Wrote: I ordered the usb to emmc adaptor, but I know it will take a while to come down.

I am in the UK, and on Amazon UK I couldn't find one for a reasonable price. I ordered it now anyway.

What I would like to work out is why I am unable to boot from sd, as it should work really.
(02-03-2020, 08:13 AM)uby89 Wrote: What I would like to work out is why I am unable to boot from sd, as it should work really.

I believe the boot order is eMMC, then SD, then USB but could be mistaken
(02-03-2020, 08:13 AM)uby89 Wrote:

I am in the UK, and on Amazon UK I couldn't find one for a reasonable price. I ordered it now anyway.

What I would like to work out is why I am unable to boot from sd, as it should work really.
   @uby89 :

I 'Think' reflashing your eMMC with thhe usb adapter will get you going.

However the on chip boot order is SPI NOR, then eMMC, then SD, then USB OTG.

Boot Order via a working OEM Mate/Debian eMMC is :  SD card then eMMC

But that is just the "Order" it tries to boot.

If you dig around on this forum you can solve almost any problem, BUT if you are like me,  you look for the simplest way to do that.

Me :  I would try reflashing your SD card using etcher, if that does not work.... Hope the usb adapter arrives quickly  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-03-2020, 01:04 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 08:13 AM)uby89 Wrote:

@uby89 :

I 'Think' reflashing your eMMC with thhe usb adapter will get you going.

However the on chip boot order is SPI NOR, then eMMC, then SD, then USB OTG.

Boot Order via a working OEM Mate/Debian eMMC is :  SD card then eMMC

But that is just the "Order" it tries to boot.

If you dig around on this forum you can solve almost any problem, BUT if you are like me,  you look for the simplest way to do that.

Me :  I would try reflashing your SD card using etcher, if that does not work.... Hope the usb adapter arrives quickly  !

Eh eh thanks. I did a lot of reading, and my understanding is that with emmc disabled, and a sd card inserted with an OS with uboot on it should boot.
But it doesn't, which is slightly worry me.

I also tried re-flashing uboot on my current debian OEM on the emmc, checking the ribbon cable connecting the sd card. No luck.

I might have to wait for the usb adapter, but it does bother me that I should be able to boot from sd... and I could sort my emmc from there.
OH,  I see,  that is "Worrysome"

Perhaps the UART may be needed  ?  
***  But that is beyond what I would "want to attempt".

As I said I look for the "Simple" methods

Have you attempted using the 'reset' button on the board  ?

Keep us posted,  I really hope you do succeed,  NOW I am curious if the usb adapter will "FIX" your PBP.

Good LUCK

BC
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

------------------------

If you get an opportunity could please provide an Amazon link to the USB to emmc adapter you ordered or even better the product's ASIN #? I have not seen one for less than $20 USD. Thanks in advance!
(02-03-2020, 07:39 PM)PineFan Wrote: If you get an opportunity could please provide an Amazon link to the USB to emmc adapter you ordered or even better the product's ASIN #?  I have not seen one for  less than $20 USD.  Thanks in advance!

I already have a Card reader that I use in my desktop. It works in my laptops sd card too though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08229QKV3/ref...oEbS79NVZW
(02-03-2020, 01:34 PM)bcnaz Wrote: OH,  I see,  that is "Worrysome"

Perhaps the UART may be needed  ?  
***  But that is beyond what I would "want to attempt".

As I said I look for the "Simple" methods

Have you attempted using the 'reset' button on the board  ?

Keep us posted,  I really hope you do succeed,  NOW I am curious if the usb adapter will "FIX" your PBP.

Good LUCK

BC

Thanks! I was thinking the UART, I understand that the UART works through the jack connection so something else I would need to buy. I might see if I can add it to my order, which with the current situation in China will take a while to be shipped ( understandably ).

I did try the reset button, with no luck.

I might try again to flash another OS that is not Majaro or OEM debian to boot from sd.

I will let you know, thanks fingers crossed!
I actually have the exact same issue as you. I somehow corrupted u-boot on my eMMC, so I tried to boot from SD card (both by disabling eMMC with the switch, and totally removing it). If I have eMMC removed or disabled, I get no green lights and a black screen. If I keep it enabled, I see a green light, but nothing on the screen.

I am also waiting for the eMMC -> USB adapter to see if I can fix it by writing a new image.

I think it must not be the case that it will actually boot to the SD card if you have eMMC disabled, and I think it tries eMMC first by default.

I know everywhere says that booting to an SD card with eMMC disabled *should work* but maybe that changed recently?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 965 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
Exclamation 'failed to open panfrost' after system update using archarm Puckla 1 314 03-01-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Puckla
  Nethunter default password failed lamlarryyyy 0 336 11-23-2023, 02:48 AM
Last Post: lamlarryyyy
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,017 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 446 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,332 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 4,012 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,268 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  Unsuccessful using danielt's unofficial Debian installer on the PBP joeDoe 2 2,318 12-09-2022, 05:04 AM
Last Post: ndp
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 2,025 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa