PBP Hardware Issues
(01-24-2020, 04:29 AM)Bloris Wrote: I've an issue with LCD panel's backlight. It never worked. They sent me a new LCD Panel, but it didn't resolve my problem.

I'm supposing in some way it hasn't enough energy to turn it on.

Hello Bloris.  I read your post about the nonfunctional backlight(s). Can you see an image on the screen when you shine a bright light on it, and have you tested whether you have video out over USB-C to rule out a problem with the video system? 

One other thing to make sure of is that your brightness setting hasn't been accidentally turned to the lowest possible setting (I'm not implying that you are stupid, this could be overlooked by anyone--see this story https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new...et-too-low

Bill
(01-25-2020, 08:40 PM)wtdonnelly Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 04:29 AM)Bloris Wrote: I've an issue with LCD panel's backlight. It never worked. They sent me a new LCD Panel, but it didn't resolve my problem.

I'm supposing in some way it hasn't enough energy to turn it on.

Hello Bloris.  I read your post about the nonfunctional backlight(s). Can you see an image on the screen when you shine a bright light on it, and have you tested whether you have video out over USB-C to rule out a problem with the video system? 

One other thing to make sure of is that your brightness setting hasn't been accidentally turned to the lowest possible setting (I'm not implying that you are stupid, this could be overlooked by anyone--see this story https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new...et-too-low

Bill

Hello Bill,

with an external light on the screen i'm able to see the graphics. I didn't have tested with USB-C because i don't have it.

Yesterday, when i was measure the energy to eDP Pin, after like 5 minutes of fumbling i was able to turn on the backlights for about 10 minutes. After that, meanwhile i was pressing the keyboard, backlight stopped again.

I think it's the welding of eDP's Pins...I've never done such a job, but I'll try to fix it anyway. Seeing the monitor turned on gave me hope, eheh
(01-16-2020, 01:19 PM)zaius Wrote: ...
4) There are reports of the plastic underneath the USB ports breaking.

The housing seems to have more weak spots. My PBP case broke close to the display hinges. 
This is the corresponding thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9212
Here's a new potential problem, but one with a happy ending:

I ran the battery down so low that the laptop wouldn't charge from the barrel connector. I left it plugged in all night but to no avail. The charging light would not come on and the charger stayed cold. Eventually, I tried charging from the USB type C port, and to my great relief the charging light began to flicker. Now it's charging from the barrel connector and the charging light is staying on. It''s unlikely anyone else will discharge their battery so much that they will experience this problem though. It happened to me after a number of botched and aborted installs while not charging.

UPDATE: Barrel connector charging port doesn't work at all any more. I must have damaged it. I do not remember pulling the charging cable at an awkward level though. The USB type C port still charges just fine, so it's not really a problem.
(04-17-2020, 12:56 PM)leibide Wrote: Here's a new potential problem, but one with a happy ending:

I ran the battery down so low that the laptop wouldn't charge from the barrel connector. I left it plugged in all night but to no avail. The charging light would not come on and the charger stayed cold. Eventually, I tried charging from the USB type C port, and to my great relief the charging light began to flicker. Now it's charging from the barrel connector and the charging light is staying on. It''s unlikely anyone else will discharge their battery so much that they will experience this problem though. It happened to me after a number of botched and aborted installs while not charging.

UPDATE: Barrel connector charging port doesn't work at all any more. I must have damaged it. I do not remember pulling the charging cable at an awkward level though. The USB type C port still charges just fine, so it's not really a problem.

The charger that came with my ANSI PBP this year has a bad connection to the US plug adapter,  so it was only working intermittently and then quit completely...
   ( The spring loaded contact did not have the spring or just stuck in place )

I use ether a usb-c charger or the charger from my previous ISO PBP.....

I did not want to go through the warranty process..

Perhaps your charger has the same flaw  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
"The charger that came with my ANSI PBP this year has a bad connection to the US plug adapter"

Interesting. Sorry I didn't answer sooner - I had to be sure what was happening first. I've been able to test the laptop with a different Pinebook pro charger (I have two of these laptops). Both chargers are for the ISO edition. The same thing happens with both chargers on this laptop: sometimes the charging light turns on, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it flickers. It never chargers this laptop though, even if the light is on. The connector does not appear to be loose but nonetheless it doesn't work. It did when I first got the laptop, but not now. It's really not a problem though. Now that I'm aware of this, I just use the USB type C connector instead.
(04-22-2020, 12:29 PM)leibide Wrote: I've been able to test the laptop with a different Pinebook pro charger (I have two of these laptops). Both chargers are for the ISO edition.

The ISO and ANSI chargers are the same, so that shouldn't make a difference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,741 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  Touchpad Issues - August 2022 Run SteveCaruso 5 2,801 12-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: doug
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,696 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Question PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck issues pawzy 3 4,779 06-19-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Rosbeefandino
  Hardware shortcomings commiecam 14 8,721 01-30-2022, 09:04 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Pinebook pro Hardware failure: how should I diagnose it? alxndr.psclt 5 4,540 09-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro Boot Issues - Booting needs multiple attempts mtndew 13 17,034 10-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: wdt
  hardware compatibility table in the wiki.. kernel version? speculatrix 1 3,113 09-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tophneal