PBP ARM Processor RECOGNIZED by Default Debian OS Synaptic Package Manager
PBP ARM Processor RECOGNIZED by Default Debian OS Synaptic Package Manager?  
I have begun learning to handle my December 2019 PBP Debian, all updated, by starting the Synaptic Package Manager, and learning to install a few apps.  To my surprise the SPM seems to recognize the PBP ARM processor and installs an ARM version of any software chosen?  The GVIM app actually even displays that it is an ARM version!  Is it a fact that SPM does detect the processor type, and will install only those apps provided as ARM binaries?
What is so strange about it? You are running arm version of OS, so you have arm versions of packages for installation.
(12-18-2019, 01:59 PM)Wizzard Wrote: What is so strange about it? You are running arm version of OS, so you have arm versions of packages for installation.

ARCH=armhf

and dpkg --add-architecture armhf
Big Grin

— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
What surprises me is that some group or groups took the time to config and compile ARM binaries for SPM! In fact, the scuttlebutt has always been that very few apps have been so prepared! It makes sense that GVIM has been so compiled, because many developers will need it for further app tweaking, but people I know do not know that many apps may be ready for ARM. One app that is MISSING is GUFW, to help users manage their digital defenses, in needed now.
SPM? There are just normal generic arm packages for arm compatible computers. You expected that you will only have the OS without the ability to install new software?
(12-18-2019, 02:58 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote: What surprises me is that some group or groups took the time to config and compile ARM binaries for SPM!  In fact, the scuttlebutt has always been that very few apps have been so prepared!  It makes sense that GVIM has been so compiled, because many developers will need it for further app tweaking, but people I know do not know that many apps may be ready for ARM.  One app that is MISSING is GUFW, to help users manage their digital defenses, in needed now.

Well, Synapctic is just a frontend/GUI for APT. As long as it's in the repos it will show up in the list. Synaptic themselves have nothing to do with the packages in the repository. The ARM repos did come a long way since the Raspberry Pi came out in 2012(?). Say what you want, but RPi did help bring ARM to the mainstream.
Hope that helps
SPM meaning Synaptic Package Manager.  I expected that ARM machines would have many Fewer ready apps.  And experienced computer folks seem to agree that ARM apps are fewer in number.  I was pleasantly surprised to find GVIM.  Now I am trying others.  

SO, here then is the salient question, if SPM provides N number of apps for x86 machines, what fraction of N are available and ready for ARM machines please?

(12-18-2019, 03:15 PM)Schtromar Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 02:58 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote: What surprises me is that some group or groups took the time to config and compile ARM binaries for SPM!  In fact, the scuttlebutt has always been that very few apps have been so prepared!  It makes sense that GVIM has been so compiled, because many developers will need it for further app tweaking, but people I know do not know that many apps may be ready for ARM.  One app that is MISSING is GUFW, to help users manage their digital defenses, in needed now.

Well, Synapctic is just a frontend/GUI for APT. As long as it's in the repos it will show up in the list. Synaptic themselves have nothing to do with the packages in the repository. The ARM repos did come a long way since the Raspberry Pi came out in 2012(?). Say what you want, but RPi did help bring ARM to the mainstream.
Hope that helps

Yes, that helps, Thanks! I hardly expect that APT will provide All apps as both ARM and x86.

Good information folks, thanks!  

So this all begs the question, when I look at APT or SPM displays of available apps, in what column or marker for a given app will I find the indication that ARM and/or x86 builds are available?
(12-18-2019, 03:18 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote:
So this all begs the question, when I look at APT or SPM displays of available apps, in what column or marker for a given app will I find the indication that ARM and/or x86 builds are available?

Jeremiah Cornelius told you, a little bit disguised, the answer. Perhaps you may want to familiarize yourself with debian package management? In short, if you have not made any modifications to the package management, then all debian packages found by Synaptics run on your machine. They are often arm binaries but can also be platform independent file such as documentation.
(12-18-2019, 04:01 PM)RDer Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 03:18 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote:

Jeremiah Cornelius told you, a little bit disguised, the answer. Perhaps you may want to familiarize yourself with debian package management? In short, if you have not made any modifications to the package management, then all debian packages found by Synaptics run on your machine. They are often arm binaries but can also be platform independent file such as documentation.
Thank You!  Your answer is clear, if I can see the app in the package manager, then it should run on my machine!  And LOL, this conversation is my start of familiarization with Debian and its package manager!  :-)
When we are talking about ARM Ubuntu packages, most of common software has arm version, including whole KDE, but I miss Krita (Calligra painting program) and Rambox (Franz style communication messenger).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 314,486 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature) Mangustis 0 734 02-21-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Mangustis
  Installing Debian using files only from debian.org and encrypted root filesystem omarcomputing 0 739 10-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Last Post: omarcomputing
  Use SD to install new OS over pinebook debian Rudy558 9 10,418 09-25-2022, 01:19 AM
Last Post: jackwilson
Big Grin Selling Pinbook Pro AND pinephone convergence package poltergiest 2 2,114 03-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: poltergiest
Question linuxmint / webapp-manager popinski 2 2,286 10-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Last Post: popinski
  Main Stream Debian on Pinebook Pro ? bcnaz 4 3,495 08-22-2021, 09:11 AM
Last Post: wdt
  No Sound on Default Manjaro KDE carlosqueso 4 5,010 04-01-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: carlosqueso
  Dolphin File Manager Nobot 0 1,632 10-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Nobot