No Sound, Non Root User
Hi guy's, let me start by saying this pinebook pro is awesome ! However, I have no sound, I can hear hissing from the speakers and I tried changing some settings and then switching them right back but nothing has helped. Also, I am in the rock account. I know Linux is very finicky with audio, I have an on-board sound blaster in my desktop and it occasionally has problems. I really don't know what else to try. Nothing is muted, I tried the speaker test in settings, youtube etc.. Outputs look fine, it's on duplex. Thanks
Ok guys. I fixed it. I went to terminal, typed in alsamixer, then f6 to change from default sound to 0 es8316-spk-sound. Hopefully this will help someone else out.
These speakers are really loud, not the best sound quality but thats to be expected from a laptop and one at this price point at that, at least there is plenty and I mean plenty of volume.
Check if the UART switch is turned on (you need to open the PBP for this). You are looking for No9 right next to the battery connector:
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...nd_Buttons

You can grab an SD card and try a couple of builds quickly without affecting the installed distro on the eMMC (you can do this purely to find if it's something with the settings):
- Check ayufan's Ubuntu build
- Check with a clean install of the stock Debian build

I think a few people found that it was trying to pass the audio through hdmi or something along those lines.
To check the audio, try using Chromium instead of Firefox (not sure if FF's sandboxing of the audio is still an existing problem or not)

As I'm waiting for my DHL notice and don't have the device at hand atm, I can only throw a few suggestions Smile
You can try to search the messages on Discord's channel as well.
(11-07-2019, 03:28 AM)PakoS Wrote: You can grab an SD card and try a couple of builds quickly without affecting the installed distro on the eMMC (you can do this purely to find if it's something with the settings)

Yes, it seems to be a common problem with the stock Debian build.  That some people are reporting it and others aren't, could be updated related.  So if the sound doesn't work, first try updating the OS.  Then if that doesn't work, try booting the Bionic-Mate build off SD, to make sure it isn't a hardware problem.

Also, the OP might want to mark this as solved Smile
(11-07-2019, 07:03 AM)zaius Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:28 AM)PakoS Wrote: You can grab an SD card and try a couple of builds quickly without affecting the installed distro on the eMMC (you can do this purely to find if it's something with the settings)

Yes, it seems to be a common problem with the stock Debian build.  That some people are reporting it and others aren't, could be updated related.  So if the sound doesn't work, first try updating the OS.  Then if that doesn't work, try booting the Bionic-Mate build off SD, to make sure it isn't a hardware problem.

Did I see a post that said in the initial settings,  you needed to sign in as root for the sound to work ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-07-2019, 07:59 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Did I see a post that said in the initial settings,  you needed to sign in as root for the sound to work ?

Sorry, I don't remember seeing that.
(11-07-2019, 07:59 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 07:03 AM)zaius Wrote:

Did I see a post that said in the initial settings,  you needed to sign in as root for the sound to work ?

I think that person had the opposite problem, he was in root with no sound and then switched to rock and the sound started working.

Having to go in alsamixer seems to be a common fix in most distro's ( at least, for me ), I just wished, I thought of it before posting on here. Smile

Thanks guy's !
(11-07-2019, 03:17 AM)deebeez Wrote: Ok guys. I fixed it. I went to terminal, typed in alsamixer, then f6 to change from default sound to 0 es8316-spk-sound. Hopefully this will help someone else out.
  I followed your directions and succeeded in changing the default to es8316-spk-sound.
 But still no sound.

OK So I went to YouTube and I DO have sound ! ! !
IT just did not show on the "Speaker Test"

The speakers do sound ok,
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Thanks Deebeez
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  Installing Debian using files only from debian.org and encrypted root filesystem omarcomputing 0 739 10-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Last Post: omarcomputing
  alarming sound coming from pinebook pro jazzhands 2 1,540 08-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Last Post: foobar
Question Pinebook Pro end-user ready? Watercourse 3 2,203 06-19-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Watercourse
Question Just purchased a used PBP (with no eMMC!) - any tips for a new user? pinemouth 15 8,401 12-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Last Post: wdt
  If booted with headphones in, sound comes from them and speakers stozi 6 5,371 06-11-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  No Sound on Default Manjaro KDE carlosqueso 4 5,012 04-01-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: carlosqueso
  User experience quadrantids 14 11,970 03-26-2021, 05:06 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  Booting - User device selection in U-Boot? Arwen 10 11,618 11-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Arwen
Tongue An introduction from Paulie420; PBP user Paulie420 3 4,302 10-30-2020, 05:40 PM
Last Post: 11Eleven