Pine book Pro Speakers
As I'm playing with VLC during music playback, it is preety easy to over load the speakers. Especially using the equalizer and other audio features of VLC. Anyone else have any thoughts? Smile
(10-20-2019, 07:22 PM)rick1959 Wrote: As I'm playing with VLC during music playback, it is preety easy to over load the speakers. Especially using the equalizer and other audio features of VLC. Anyone else have any thoughts? Smile

I believe Luke had mentioned in a post a month or two back that there was some distortion at or above 70%  that he said was a software problem that had been found and they were working on fixing it.

I wonder if when using the equalizer,   you can just boost the frequencies that the speakers can handle.... ?
and not the frequencies above or below what they cannot handle  ?  ( try just boosting the midrange as a starting point ? )
Maybe try some external speakers for comparison  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-20-2019, 07:39 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 07:22 PM)rick1959 Wrote: As I'm playing with VLC during music playback, it is preety easy to over load the speakers. Especially using the equalizer and other audio features of VLC. Anyone else have any thoughts? Smile

I believe Luke had mentioned in a post a month or two back that there was some distortion at or above 70%  that he said was a software problem that had been found and they were working on fixing it.

I wonder if when using the equalizer,   you can just boost the frequencies that the speakers can handle.... ?
and not the frequencies above or below what they cannot handle  ?  ( try just boosting the midrange as a starting point ? )
Maybe try some external speakers for comparison  ?

Thanks for the update BCnAZ!
Too late for me to try again tonight, but I will in a day or two.

Another thing I found was adding PULSEAUDIO caused me to lose ANY sound. That was quickly removed!:-)
I have never expected much, if anything, from laptop speakers.
Too bad on the Pulseaudio. it's a terrific tool for adjusting and compressing sound, esp. for those of us with compromised hearing.
And yet, i'm sure many awesome teaks are in the future for PBP.
In the meantime i'll  be using earbuds anyway, and the eq in VLC does a pretty good job.
I'll try it with a BT speaker when it shows up, just for fun.
Yes, testing the Bluetooth is an excellent idea also.
Though I was thinking hardwired external speakers when I made the suggestion. ( Possibly 'powered' external speakers )
Hopefully both function properly.
More choices everyday :-)

I am slightly hearing challenged myself,
but I do prefer to hear my laptop speakers directly when I can.
Though there are occasions when something else is needed.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Since this thread is the closest to my concern, I will avoid starting a new one.
I noticed that there is a significant amount of resonance in the laptop body when operating the speakers >50%, After my updates, I ma take my PPB apart and do a little do a little tweaking to improve the audio quality. Since I doubt there was any acoustical control behind the speakers put in place (IE a speaker box mentality). I will happily do some trial and error, and post my findings for those who may want to eak the most out of their PBP.
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
(10-31-2019, 04:44 PM)MrTester Wrote: Since this thread is the closest to my concern, I will avoid starting a new one.
I noticed that there is a significant amount of resonance in the laptop body when operating the speakers >50%, After my updates, I ma take my PPB apart and do a little do a little tweaking to improve the audio quality. Since I doubt there was any acoustical control behind the speakers put in place (IE a speaker box mentality). I will happily do some trial and error, and post my findings for those who may want to eak the most out of their PBP.

Please post your finding. If the improvement can be implemented at production floor easily, for sure will ask hardware team to review.
Greetings PBP friends, 
Tonight I decided to dig inside and see what mechanical/ acoustical improvements I could make to the PBP speaker system. 

Background: Initially when working on my PBP, I noticed when playing audio, the playback was extremely harsh on the ears and a significant amount of resonance in the palm rest (back side of the speakers) My main goal was to observe and find some mechanical isolation solution to improve audio.

Observations: After opening my PBP, I found the following, A simple speaker, isolated from the metal bottom of the laptop (and speaker grill/opening ) by an adhesive foam surround. The back of the speaker (magnet side) is directly adhered to the plastic palm rests, located in place by molded frame apart of the palm rest. 

My initial assessment was that a significant amount of energy was being transferred from the speaker magnet directly into the palm rests, resulting in physical resonance and contributing to the observed acoustical resonance.  Considering the space as tight manufacturing tolerances, any mechanical isolation solution would need to be minimal thickness. With the above comment proposing a MFG change would be considered, The cost of such options was in consideration. 

I tested Duct tape, Electrical tape, and athletic tape. My intention was to cut just enough tape, to fit behind the speaker, and isolate it from the palm rest. All produced significant reduction in physical energy transfer into the palm rest. The acoustical improvement is reasonable in my opinion, I would like others to test if this is a significant enough of a improvement. 

I have included photos of my work, my preferred choice was athletic tape (woven fabric tape, with high adhesive properties).

Attached Files
.jpg   20191103_211202.jpg (Size: 58.21 KB / Downloads: 377)
.jpg   20191103_212119.jpg (Size: 50.27 KB / Downloads: 351)
.jpg   20191103_212228.jpg (Size: 69.24 KB / Downloads: 355)
.jpg   20191103_212411.jpg (Size: 76.09 KB / Downloads: 343)
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
(11-03-2019, 10:25 PM)MrTester Wrote: Greetings PBP friends, 
Tonight I decided to dig inside and see what mechanical/ acoustical improvements I could make to the PBP speaker system. 

Background: Initially when working on my PBP, I noticed when playing audio, the playback was extremely harsh on the ears and a significant amount of resonance in the palm rest (back side of the speakers) My main goal was to observe and find some mechanical isolation solution to improve audio.

Observations: After opening my PBP, I found the following, A simple speaker, isolated from the metal bottom of the laptop (and speaker grill/opening ) by an adhesive foam surround. The back of the speaker (magnet side) is directly adhered to the plastic palm rests, located in place by molded frame apart of the palm rest. 

My initial assessment was that a significant amount of energy was being transferred from the speaker magnet directly into the palm rests, resulting in physical resonance and contributing to the observed acoustical resonance.  Considering the space as tight manufacturing tolerances, any mechanical isolation solution would need to be minimal thickness. With the above comment considering a MFG change could be considered, The cost of such options was in consideration. 

I tested Duct tape, Electrical tape, and athletic tape. My intention was to cut just enough tape, to fit behind the speaker, and isolate it from the palm rest. All produced significant reduction in physical energy transfer into the palm rest. The acoustical improvement is reasonable in my opinion, I would like others to test if this is a significant enough of a improvement. 

I have included photos of my work, my preferred choice was athletic tape (woven fabric tape, with high adhesive properties).
That's excellent!!
And sounds, forgive the pun, that the tape may be what relieves (absorbs?) the buzziness?
Clearer high level volume? Clearer in general?

Here's my thought, unsolicited: How about a drop of rubber cement on the magnet, sufficient to spread wide enough to cover the whole circular area of the magnet? Just enough to insulate the magnet.....

I'm not brave enough, nor have the time to try it right now. However, what do you think? :-)
(11-03-2019, 10:25 PM)MrTester Wrote: I have included photos of my work, my preferred choice was athletic tape (woven fabric tape, with high adhesive properties).

Have you considered trying friction tape?  It's cotton cloth impregnated with rubber. Once used as electrical tape, it has good adhesion, it's non-conductive, and very durable.  It's generally 15 mil, so it might be thicker without being too thick.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,701 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  how to get rid of heavy distortion from the speakers? stozi 2 1,883 02-20-2022, 05:46 AM
Last Post: stozi
  Up-firing speakers!!! mamboman777 6 5,142 07-28-2021, 02:54 PM
Last Post: mamboman777
  If booted with headphones in, sound comes from them and speakers stozi 6 5,365 06-11-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Pine Key + Backspace/Arrow Keys not registering tslight 3 4,183 06-13-2020, 11:31 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  A request to anyone with a Pinebook pro / other Pine device.. account3122 14 18,860 06-05-2020, 02:52 AM
Last Post: icecream95
  Issues connecting bluetooth headphones and speakers jamathis 2 3,868 12-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Last Post: jamathis