Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Install Seagate OpenSeaChest Utilities
Thanks for the output..

Indeed this seems to be one of the 2 possibilities..

1) The compiled Binaries have some problem.
2) The pcie controllers in the middle doesn't let Seagate Firmware Commands pass-trough, and blocks them..

Assuming case 1) its ok..

Going with option
 2) "Pass-Trough"

Probably Pcie controller is blocking the commands that openSeaChest is sending to disks..
Probably it doesn't understand them as they are Seagate Own Command specific, and reject them..

Check if you can detect the disks trough one of this flags :

Try:
Code:
openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4

If you don't succeed, try with option.. scan but with 'S' -> --Scan
Code:
    -S, --Scan
        This option is the same as --scan or -s,
        however it will also perform a low level rescan to pick up
        other devices. This low level rescan may wake devices from low
        power states and may cause the OS to re-enumerate them.
        Use this option when a device is plugged in and not discovered in
        a normal scan.
        NOTE: A low-level rescan may not be available on all interfaces or
        all OSs. The low-level rescan is not guaranteed to find additional
        devices in the system when the device is unable to come to a ready state.

Code:
openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
(03-02-2019, 01:01 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: Try:
Code:
openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
Code:
:~# openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
==========================================================================================
openSeaChest_Basics - openSeaChest drive utilities - NVMe Enabled
Copyright (c) 2014-2018 Seagate Technology LLC and/or its Affiliates, All Rights Reserved
openSeaChest_Basics Version: 2.8.0-1_19_0 ARM
Build Date: Feb 28 2019
Today: Sat Mar  2 20:18:59 2019
==========================================================================================
Version Info for openSeaChest_Basics:
       Utility Version: 2.8.0
       opensea-common Version: 1.18.0
       opensea-transport Version: 1.19.0
       opensea-operations Version: 1.20.0
       Compiled Architecture: ARM
       Detected Endianness: Little Endian
       Compiler Used: GCC
       Compiler Version: 6.3.0
       Operating System Type: Linux
       Operating System Version: 4.4.154-1132
       Operating System Name: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
open: Bad address
open failure
Error: 14 - Bad address
open failure

Code:
openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
The same thing >
Code:
:~# openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
Copyright (c) 2014-2018 Seagate Technology LLC and/or its Affiliates, All Rights Reserved
Today: Sat Mar  2 20:22:40 2019
open failure
open failure
(03-02-2019, 01:27 PM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 01:01 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: Try:
Code:
Code:
:~# openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
Today: Sat Mar  2 20:18:59 2019
open failure
open failure

Code:
The same thing >
Code:
:~# openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd ata scsi -V 4
Today: Sat Mar  2 20:22:40 2019
open failure
open failure

Assuming the binaries are ok,
My best bet is that maybe you need to insert the disks in a real Sata port, for example, to enable Power Up in StandBy and SpinUp Control..
(03-02-2019, 01:40 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: Assuming the binaries are ok,
My best bet is that maybe you need to insert the disks in a real Sata port, for example, to enable Power Up in StandBy and SpinUp Control..
I use ROCKPro64 PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card for HDD disk.
How or where should I do this?

(03-02-2019, 01:01 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: 1) The compiled Binaries have some problem.
2) The pcie controllers in the middle doesn't let Seagate Firmware Commands pass-trough, and blocks them..
Assuming case 1) its ok..
Going with option
 2) "Pass-Trough"
Probably Pcie controller is blocking the commands that openSeaChest is sending to disks..
Probably it doesn't understand them as they are Seagate Own Command specific, and reject them..
Maybe blocked hdparm, OMV or S.M.A.R.T to?
(03-02-2019, 01:52 PM)Neo2018 Wrote: Maybe blocked hdparm, OMV or S.M.A.R.T to?

I don't think so..
hdparm and SMART are very well known standards, and they pass-trough,
You are receiving a:
By some reason the it tries to read something from a invalid address in kernel space..
Could be the binaries you compiled, or just could be that the specific Seagate commands are rejected by the pcie card..

The easiest way would be taking the Seagate disk off, and do what you want in a Sata port, in another computer, them put the disk again in place( the 2 features are persistent between reboots) [Image: wink.png]

The rest it should work trough SMART..
(03-02-2019, 03:42 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: The easiest way would be taking the Seagate disk off, and do what you want in a Sata port, in another computer, them put the disk again in place( the 2 features are persistent between reboots) [Image: wink.png]
Unfortunately, I have no way, I only own a notebook.
But I can connect via USB-HDD adapter to another computer. Will that be enough?
(03-03-2019, 03:44 AM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:42 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: The easiest way would be taking the Seagate disk off, and do what you want in a Sata port, in another computer, them put the disk again in place( the 2 features are persistent between reboots) [Image: wink.png]
Unfortunately, I have no way, I only own a notebook.
But I can connect via USB-HDD adapter to another computer. Will that be enough?

It could be an identical situation you have here,
It will depend on the chip that is in the usb/sata controller

But it doesn't hurt trying.. [Image: wink.png]
At least you have a option on OpenSeaChest for USB 'interfaceUSB':
Code:
openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
Another option would be instead of using the v19.01.31 stable, using the last development branch, it has several improvements, but I am not sure if you could pass commands trough pcie:
If using this option:

Code:
mkdir /opt/test && cd /opt/test && git clone --recursive --branch develop https://github.com/Seagate/openSeaChest.git && cd openSeaChest/Make/gcc && make release && cd openseachest_exes

then check again:

Code:
./openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4

if don't succeed,

Code:
./openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
(03-03-2019, 06:18 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: It could be an identical situation you have here,
I will have to try it.
(03-03-2019, 06:18 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: Another option would be instead of using the v19.01.31 stable, using the last development branch, it has several improvements, but I am not sure if you could pass commands trough pcie:
If using this option:
Code:
mkdir /opt/test && cd /opt/test && git clone --recursive --branch develop https://github.com/Seagate/openSeaChest.git && cd openSeaChest/Make/gcc && make release && cd openseachest_exes
Code:
then check again:
./openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
if don't succeed,
./openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
My output >
Code:
:/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes# ./openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
openSeaChest_Basics Version: 2.8.0-1_19_2 ARM
Build Date: Mar  3 2019
Today: Sun Mar  3 18:35:13 2019
    opensea-transport Version: 1.19.2
    opensea-operations Version: 1.23.0
Bus error
With > ./openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4 > same output
I am desperate and upset Angry
I saved the output of make release. Do you need that, to check. if everything is installed correctly?
(03-03-2019, 12:03 PM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 06:18 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: It could be an identical situation you have here,
I will have to try it.
(03-03-2019, 06:18 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: Another option would be instead of using the v19.01.31 stable, using the last development branch, it has several improvements, but I am not sure if you could pass commands trough pcie:
If using this option:
Code:
SeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
My output >
Code:
:/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes# ./openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
Today: Sun Mar  3 18:35:13 2019
Bus error
With > ./openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags interfaceSCSI interfaceATA interfaceUSB sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4 > same output
I am desperate and upset Angry
I saved the output of make release. Do you need that, to check. if everything is installed correctly?
Hello Neo2018,
You are doing pretty well!
Let me assure you, that nothing we have done here have harmed your disk.
We are trying to set 2 nice features that Seagate disks have..

It happens to everybody( me included ).. and sometimes we get upset because the world seems against us, but we should be very close to that..
I also have compiled the develop branch, so be synchronised with you on that.. [Image: shy.png]

I assume you tried first the option with the disks in the NAS,plugged on PCIe and the 'develop branch' of OpenSeachest, its what I see above so its OK 

As a last Resource on the Nas, please execute more general scan, has a last resource..:

Code:
/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes/openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
or
Code:
/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes/openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4

I have been in talks with personnel that develop the Seagate tool...
And they suggest trying with the 'develop' branch..
Its because of that that I recommended, before going to USB, to test this option..
One way or another you would be able to succeed Shy
(03-03-2019, 01:50 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: As a last Resource on the Nas, please execute more general scan, has a last resource..:
Code:
/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes/openSeaChest_Basics --scan --scanFlags sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
or
Code:
/opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes/openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
no chance Confused >
Code:
:~# /opt/test/openSeaChest/Make/gcc/openseachest_exes/openSeaChest_Basics --Scan --scanFlags sd sgtosd ata scsi -V 4
Today: Mon Mar  4 12:49:20 2019
Bus error

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SkiffOS server with Docker ,NAS, Home assistant, Jellyfin, Snikket XMPP (tutorial) GreyLinux 12 9,406 04-04-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  SimpNas server with docker - home assistant, radicale , jellyfin & esphome (tutorial) GreyLinux 0 4,328 01-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  Tutorial:How to Configure ATS Fan control tuxd3v 26 52,166 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: g_t_j
  Serial Connection Tutorial: FTDI 232RL hmuller 0 3,136 10-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Last Post: hmuller
Video How to Install Google PlayStore NightCrawler504 2 5,221 04-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: pino88
Wink Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Optimize Life Span/Power Managment tuxd3v 14 23,545 06-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Neo2018
Video Video and Guide to install Android to emmc no emmc to usb adapter NightCrawler504 0 3,310 04-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Last Post: NightCrawler504
  Tutorial[ Multimedia ] : Play DVD movies tuxd3v 0 2,675 02-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v
  Tutorial[ OpenCL ]: OpenCL 1.2 FULL_PROFILE Working tuxd3v 0 3,919 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v
  HOW TO - install linux on emmc without etcher or USB adapter dukla2000 4 10,393 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: dukla2000