Rock64 hangs without trace
I have bought rock64 4GB board bundle (with charger and sd card).
I've initially pushed bionic lxde (0.6.4) with Etcher.
It launched smoothly, I've tried to open Youtube with Firefox - and this was first hang.
Restart
Again - this time youtoube page showed - it died after 3 sec of playing,
In few tries I was able to get, at best, something like 30 sec of playing (more like slideshow not real playing, even though CPU usage was not 100%).

Since then I've tried:
strech minimal
bionic minimal
armbian
openelec
with different (mostly latest versions)

I've tried new charger.
I've tried some other sd cards (inc. Samsung Evo).

The best results came with OpenElec being able to play up to 7 minutes of video before hang.

kernel.log shows nothing, syslog, dmesg , Xorg.. no errors, well, once I had error about fs issues (not clean after one of hard restarts) so now I know that nor bionic either strech are able to run gparted - instant hang also.

Does anyone had seen such issue?
What should else could I try to figure out reason?
(08-15-2018, 02:32 AM)szus Wrote: I have bought rock64 4GB board bundle (with charger and sd card).
I've initially pushed bionic lxde (0.6.4) with Etcher.
It launched smoothly, I've tried to open Youtube with Firefox - and this was first hang.
Restart
Again - this time youtoube page showed - it died after 3 sec of playing,
In few tries I was able to get, at best, something like 30 sec of playing (more like slideshow not real playing, even though CPU usage was not 100%).

Since then I've tried:
strech minimal
bionic minimal
armbian
openelec
with different (mostly latest versions)

I've tried new charger.
I've tried some other sd cards (inc. Samsung Evo).

The best results came with OpenElec being able to play up to 7 minutes of video before hang.

kernel.log shows nothing, syslog, dmesg , Xorg.. no errors, well, once I had error about fs issues (not clean after one of hard restarts) so now I know that nor bionic either strech are able to run gparted - instant hang also.

Does anyone had seen such issue?
What should else could I try to figure out reason?

I have the same issues with the said prebuild images and my rock64/4GB. Changed power supply, SDCard doesn't help.

So I started (cross-)compiling the ayufan kernel, disabling all the rock64pro-stuff und started with a plain devuan (1.0) image for the raspi3. Video playback was possible with youtube (480) and firefox, but cpu load was at 4.0.

At the moment I'm rocking alt-linux sisyphus aarch64 (with the ayufan kernel, xorg-armsoc, libmali, ffmpeg and gstreamer, libvpx (with neon optimize)) Local video-playback works with low cpu load (0.3 yay!), but mpv is killed from time to time. Video-playback from my ftp-server still hangs after 3-4 seconds. Firefox 61 plays youtube at cpuload of 2.0-3.0 at 720p stable enough for music videos.
With compiling a lot on the box I noticed that every parallel build (-j3 or -j4) failed with segmentation fault and compily xorg with -j1 is no fun at all, but completed at least.

I tried cpuburn-a53 and stopped after reaching temperatures of 90ᵍC. After that I setup the rk3328 to 1GHz max.
I tried memtest, but this did run multiple times over 2 hours without an error.

So yes, I have the same issues, but no clue about the reason, sorry.
Not sure how important the Distro that you run is but Stretch from this source is running for me 24/7 for the last three months without any issues. https://www.armbian.com/rock64/
(08-21-2018, 05:53 AM)Rocklobster Wrote: Not sure how important the Distro that you run is but Stretch from this source is running for me 24/7 for the last three months without any issues. https://www.armbian.com/rock64/

I don't think it is the distro. I have the network-video-playback problem with various ayufan-images and even with android. The parallel compiler problem is happening with different gcc-versions from 4.8 over 6 to 7.2.1.
I did not had time last weeks to keep checking things but I guess I was not clear here.
Network playing or playing at all is not an issue.
It is that my rock64 is simply not usable.

Any use case for this (like network playing, like movie playing even simple gparted) is failing without any logs.

I started some memtest (nothing running, just start memtest after reboot) and it fails all the time.

Should I consider call for replacement ?
Well, I did call my supplier here in germany (Humberg Computertechnik), told them what happened and although I bought the rock64 six mounth ago, it was absolutely no problem to get a replacement.
I had a nice chat where they told me, that in very rare cases (less than 1%) the memory of the SBC can be faulty. So - yes - call your supplier.
Just to close the topic.

Pine support suggested to try Android 7.1 build as it is used by factory to test boards.
Obviously mine was not tested enough Wink - because Android 7.1 was barely loading.
Outcome - support said that this is hardware issue most probably.

I bought it in May and there is no warranty any longer - so shit happens Smile

Solution - test your board as soon as possible.
That is pure shit. Minimum warranty on faulty unit would be 1 year. Chase your supplier and remind him of that.
(09-13-2018, 02:18 PM)Rocklobster Wrote: That is pure shit. Minimum warranty on faulty unit would be 1 year. Chase your supplier and remind him of that.

Well - I bought it directly from pine shop, they have statement on website "30 days warranty"...
Contact the Pine supplier in China. They have exchanged a number of boards that have been found to be faulty.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 114 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,455 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,865 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 255 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,771 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,795 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,401 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,975 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 907 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267