Stock Android Oreo 8.1 release
Network line Unconnected??

No network card drive
(06-25-2018, 07:25 PM)xecutioner Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 01:48 PM)Luke Wrote: Just a heads-up, looks like the eMMC boot image is iffy on some boards. In other words, it may not work 100%. SD boot works fine however.

I have burned the EMMC version several times using the PINE64 Software Installer. In each case, the Rock64 will not boot. The small lights come on and it appears that the board is active, however, there is no output from the HDMI. I have repeated this 10 times now; in each case the MD5SUM matches the download and there is no problem with PINE64 Software Installer flashing the EMMC.  In all cases, I have left the board to boot for up to 60 minutes without output. It is not functioning. 

EDIT:  By using Etcher and not the pINE64 Software Installer, I was able to successfully flash the EMMC and the Rock64 boots into Android 8.1.  However, the system image only has 8gb, with about 3GB free.  I have a 32GB EMMC card and want to expand the filesystem to use the full EMMC.  There are no tools in the supplied Android image nor can I find any available to expanding Android 8.1 to full EMMC capacity. 

Anyone know how to expand the Android 8.1 partition from the stock EMMC image to full EMMC capacity?  
(06-24-2018, 04:47 PM)tllim Wrote: The ROCK64 stock version Android Oreo ver 8,1 for microSD boot just released and here is the PINE64 wiki site download link: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCK64_...ndroid_8.x

Here is the ROCK64 stock version Android Oreo ver 8,1 for eMMC  boot download link: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCK64_...d_8.x_eMMC

The ROCK64 Android Oreo ver8.1 SDK currently unloading to file server. However, this is a 67GB file and will takes some time on file uploading.

I have to use Etcher 1.44 and follows to these steps to upgrade my Rock 64
1. select Image: I choose stock rom 8.1.img in my folder (after extracted form XZ file)
2. Select Drive: It said "connect a drive" but I cannot click on it, It doesn't happen. So I don't know how to do on step 2.

Please tell me how to use Etcher 1.44.
Thanks
(07-10-2018, 01:41 PM)Poincare Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 07:25 PM)xecutioner Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 01:48 PM)Luke Wrote: Just a heads-up, looks like the eMMC boot image is iffy on some boards. In other words, it may not work 100%. SD boot works fine however.

I have burned the EMMC version several times using the PINE64 Software Installer. In each case, the Rock64 will not boot. The small lights come on and it appears that the board is active, however, there is no output from the HDMI. I have repeated this 10 times now; in each case the MD5SUM matches the download and there is no problem with PINE64 Software Installer flashing the EMMC.  In all cases, I have left the board to boot for up to 60 minutes without output. It is not functioning. 

EDIT:  By using Etcher and not the pINE64 Software Installer, I was able to successfully flash the EMMC and the Rock64 boots into Android 8.1.  However, the system image only has 8gb, with about 3GB free.  I have a 32GB EMMC card and want to expand the filesystem to use the full EMMC.  There are no tools in the supplied Android image nor can I find any available to expanding Android 8.1 to full EMMC capacity. 

Anyone know how to expand the Android 8.1 partition from the stock EMMC image to full EMMC capacity?  

I would like to know the answer to this as well..
(07-10-2018, 08:22 PM)dhruan Wrote:  I have to use Etcher 1.44 and follows to these steps to upgrade my Rock 64
1. select Image: I choose stock rom 8.1.img in my folder (after extracted form XZ file)
2. Select Drive: It said "connect a drive" but I cannot click on it, It doesn't happen. So I don't know how to do on step 2.

Don't Extract .XZ file.
Use Pine Installer. 
Drag .XZ file into Pine Installer after you've opened the Application.
Make sure your SD Card is mounted and then choose that as the drive for flashing.
Choose Flash after that. Wait until it flashes and after 100% flashed WAIT until it has verified .
My experiences so far with 8.1 on SD card on a 2GB rock64 are that:
  • Imaging with etcher gave a "not bootable image" warning, but it booted just fine. Etcher probably just doesn't know how to check Android images are valid.
  • If you have flashed the SPI with uboot when playing with linux images, you need to either jumper pins #23 & 25 or erase the SPI flash as uboot can't boot the android image.
  • It did take somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes for that first boot (I walked away for a few minutes) but subsequent boots were less than 2 minutes.
  • Ethernet just plugged in and worked
  • Didn't get WiFi working - neither the store AC wifi nor a nano realtek wifi adapter (which both work fine under linux) was detected even after a reboot.
  • As configured, Google Play Store does not work, but as geno suggested, browsing to www.apkmirror.com, searching for "Google Play Store (Android TV)", downloading the APK and installing it (10.5.10 in my case) worked just fine. Google Play Store then loaded fine, and I was able to enter my google account details just fine. 
  • RKMC seems to work just fine, although some videos made it just crash. However, it doesn't seem to detect the screen size fully. The main launcher and most apps are full screen, but RKMC and the media centre apps leave the right and bottom of the screen blank, and changing overscan settings doesn't work as it really does seem to think the screen is that big. Image of this attached, with a red outline to indicate where RKMC seems to think the 'active' area of the screen is...
It generally 'just worked' after some minor gremlins like the Play Store were fixed up, and the rock64 was happily playing videos and browsing the net without any major issues...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-29-2018, 04:52 PM)thead Wrote: Just thought I would post a few issues I was having.  

Basic Info:

Rock64 4GB version connected to a 4k Samsung TV

issue 1:  Playstore isn't working (will it in the future?  is that a fresh install or an update?)

issue 2:  Won't allow me to log in with an account

issue 3:  some apps don't fill the whole screen others do

issue 4:  I have to turn my sound up to 100 to hear anything.  Is this a sound driver issue?  I verified it's not my TV or Sound Bar

Thank you for all the hard work you guys put into this.  I just thought I would let you know in case there is a fix I am missing

I have sound at 100 in android and my receiver to max and still can barely hear audio thru rock64 Oreo
(07-13-2018, 01:34 AM)kostaman Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 08:22 PM)dhruan Wrote:  I have to use Etcher 1.44 and follows to these steps to upgrade my Rock 64

Don't Extract .XZ file.
Use Pine Installer. 
Drag .XZ file into Pine Installer after you've opened the Application.
Make sure your SD Card is mounted and then choose that as the drive for flashing.
Choose Flash after that. Wait until it flashes and after 100% flashed WAIT until it has verified .

I want to flash to my eMMC 64GB, not for SD Card. Can I use this Pine Installer flash to eMMC card?
Thanks
(07-10-2018, 08:22 PM)dhruan Wrote: I want to flash to my eMMC 64GB, not for SD Card. Can I use this Pine Installer flash to eMMC card?
Thanks
I've always used Pine Installer (MacOS) for both SD card and eMMC burning.
eMMC Ayufan Android TV was successful and i still use it.
I flashed this Oreo image using Pine Installer on SD card.
Not used eMMC for this particular image though.
(07-13-2018, 07:30 AM)pfeerick Wrote: My experiences so far with 8.1 on SD card on a 2GB rock64 are that:
  • Imaging with etcher gave a "not bootable image" warning, but it booted just fine. Etcher probably just doesn't know how to check Android images are valid.
  • If you have flashed the SPI with uboot when playing with linux images, you need to either jumper pins #23 & 25 or erase the SPI flash as uboot can't boot the android image.
  • It did take somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes for that first boot (I walked away for a few minutes) but subsequent boots were less than 2 minutes.
  • Ethernet just plugged in and worked
  • Didn't get WiFi working - neither the store AC wifi nor a nano realtek wifi adapter (which both work fine under linux) was detected even after a reboot.
  • As configured, Google Play Store does not work, but as geno suggested, browsing to www.apkmirror.com, searching for "Google Play Store (Android TV)", downloading the APK and installing it (10.5.10 in my case) worked just fine. Google Play Store then loaded fine, and I was able to enter my google account details just fine. 
  • RKMC seems to work just fine, although some videos made it just crash. However, it doesn't seem to detect the screen size fully. The main launcher and most apps are full screen, but RKMC and the media centre apps leave the right and bottom of the screen blank, and changing overscan settings doesn't work as it really does seem to think the screen is that big. Image of this attached, with a red outline to indicate where RKMC seems to think the 'active' area of the screen is...
It generally 'just worked' after some minor gremlins like the Play Store were fixed up, and the rock64 was happily playing videos and browsing the net without any major issues...

Does the USB 3 port work without problems? The current Android 7.1.2 image freezes if I connect something to the USB 3 port.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 Android Oreo 8.1 TV-Install adventures (Now Android 9.0) Rocklobster 5 5,213 08-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  How do I prepare/put Android on an SD card using etcher cdotsubo3000 3 5,991 06-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android and SD Card gigagames 2 4,529 06-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android Images (ROCK64) pineadmin 73 168,102 05-04-2021, 01:58 AM
Last Post: zet_lab
  Android 9.0 and Pluto on Rock64-1G missdeenola 1 3,992 03-12-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Wizzard
  broken android microsd images jbach50 1 3,468 01-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Last Post: jimsurvak
  Android on Rock64 SD Problem ElBoluTony 3 5,954 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: ElBoluTony
  Error! Android Rockchip tools method BowerR64 0 2,557 09-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BowerR64
Lightbulb Any older versions of Android for the Rock64? BowerR64 2 4,695 09-18-2020, 07:58 PM
  Can't boot android 9 on rock64 maks2204 5 8,738 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM